TD27 turbo terrano / Diff Ratio's

terranorob

Hi all - does anyone know if the auto and manual gearbox versions have different diff ratios?

Just got my rig back on the road after doing the auto to manual conversion.

Its near on 3000 rpm at 100 kph in fifth gear.

Runs smoooth and all gears shift nicely but rev's too high.

I spoke with a guy a while back and he said that his TD27 turbo rig rev'd to less that 2000 rpm at 100kph.

Does anyone have any thoughts?

Thanks

Hi all - does anyone know if the auto and manual gearbox versions have different diff ratios?

I spoke with a guy a while back and he said that his TD27 turbo rig rev'd to less that 2000 rpm at 100kph.

Thanks

That's really odd, As far as I know the the auto's have 4:6 final gearing and the manual is 4:8. So that would make it worse? :shrug:

All the one's I've got

88 auto V6=4:6

90 manual V6=4:3

91 auto V6=4:6

93 auto V6=4:6

94 manual Diesel=4:8

RowdoggNZ's Diesel (I think it's auto) is 4:6

Edited by TerranoNZ

• 1 month later...

Thanks

American service manual (doesn't provide info for TD27) has the automatic's OD ratio for all petrol engines at 0.694, a considerable difference to the 0.821 OD in the manual. It's probably the same auto transmission in the diesel. That would explain your issues. What's your tyre size, axle code, etc?

My five speed manual, 4.8 diff ratio has my NA TD27 sitting at about 3200rpm at 110km/h... about as far away from the peak torque band as possible and chewing through fuel, probably only burning half of it.

To get a TD27T at less than 2000rpm at 100, presuming his was a manual, he'd have to have the 0.759 (or thereabouts) 5th ratio from the silvias that also fits in the FS5W71C, the 4.3 diff ratios and biiiig tyres, or some combination thereof. That rotational speed would be ideal.

terranorob, as an aside, when you did the auto to manual conversion, what was the go with the firewall? Did it need extensive modification for bolting up the clutch assembly or does Nissan in its wisdom send out a firewall mostly compatible with both? I'm hunting for a new body and auto vehicles are cheap because nobody wants them.

Edited by oddfriedeggs

• 1 month later...

Im having this issue aswell.. 100kmph is 3000rpm and 120 is 3500...way to high for me!! I do very little 4 wheeling and mainly highway commuting and i'm wondering what are some good options from nissan i can use for a lower gear ratio...Ive seen a few companies selling a 4.11 r200 option but id like to save the$500 and get a nissan alternative??? any suggestions???

for a td27t manual terrano aswell..

Thanks