If you are thinking about 15 inch wheels, read this.

nmpath

• 2 months later...

I have a 2001 Se stock. I have a set of AR Rock Crawlers 15" with 31x10.50x15 M/Ts id like to use these tires. problem is the 15" rims are 5 lug. But will 15" 6 lugs fit without any issues?(Clearance with calipers,rubbing,etc) I believe my old rims have 3.75 BS. Any ideas how I can make that tire/wheel combo work?

Lugs have nothing to do with tire fitment, it's the size of the wheel itself that matters. For that size tire (10.5") the rim needs to be about 8" across the rim width (where the tire sits)......

8852NG02_zpsc5e3ea40.gif

rgh1269383929s_zpsd2b40c2e.png

My tire guy says you can go a little higher, say a 12.5" tire on a 8" rim & it will actually hold the tire on the rim better (poor mans bead locks!) but you shouldn't go lower. I have 33x12.5x15 Duratracs on my Pro Comp 15"x8" rims (series 51) with 3.75 back spacing & I have no problems except a little inner fender rub at full lock. With 31x10.5x15 I had no rubbing whatsoever. You should be fine with that tire/wheel combo.

I'm also curious as to how "new pads" cause the caliper to rub? The caliper is a fixed size & is attached to the hub & it's only the inner piston that moves, new pads merely make it a little harder to get the pads into the caliper. I would think it's the backspacing that would cause a wheel to rub on the caliper. :scratchhead::blink::shrug:

For off roading you want a smaller rim diameter & bigger tire diameter (you want more sidewall, this gives the tire more flex when aired down), street cars want a bigger rim diameter & a smaller tire (very little sidewall flexing for better cornering).

Edited by theexbrit
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

New pads might cause the caliper rub as the pads are thicker, making the caliper slide further out in the piston.

You're right in saying the caliper is fixed, on the snide. But a slide type caliper is two pieces and the outer half of the caliper moves in out as it grabs/releases the rotor. As the pads wear, the caliper self adjusts. It's is why you can often just slide a caliper with old pads straight off the disc, but to get them back over the disc with new pads you have to bleed a bit of fluid out.

So with his new pads, the caliper was wider, possibly putting it in contact with the wheel. It's often only a mater of millimetres with these things!

• 6 months later...

I am running 15x8 ProComp's on mine with the exact same specs you are considering. I had my brakes, rotors, and calipers replaced since the wheel swap and did not have any issues at all. I too was concerned and warned the mechanic that was doing the break job of the possibility of clearance issues. He carefully mounted the wheels and claimed that he didn't detect any rubbing. I'll admit, the calipers are really f'in close to the wheel though!

are these the ones ? http://www.summitracing.com/parts/pcw-51-5883f/overview/ i am planning on buying these but it doesn't say what the center bore is and im running manual hubs so will these clear the hubs?

are these the ones ? http://www.summitracing.com/parts/pcw-51-5883f/overview/ i am planning on buying these but it doesn't say what the center bore is and im running manual hubs so will these clear the hubs?

Those are what I have , I also did all new calipers , pads , and rotors and they fit fine .

They will fit over the manual hubs .

• 3 years later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 8 months later...

I was thinking about keeping stock 17 wheels, but then I realized I have an almost new set of 31-10.5/15 AT tires. Would a 15x10 wheel with 3.75 BS work with no lift?

Pro Comp PCW97-5183 are what I'm looking at

Or should I be concerned about the tires rubbing the fender lip?

• 2 months later...

Looks like this turned into a 16" wheel thread? I just bought a set of 15x8 aluminum wheels for $100. I tried one on and had no brake clearance issues, but I got home and measured the backspace to discover its 3.5"

I'm lifting 2-3" and have 31 10.5 15 AT tires that I want to run, but now I'm worried about the outside edge clearance at full lock. I'm going mount one and experiment with it in stock form. I'll keep you posted. ;)

resized wheel.png

• 8 months later...