'95 timing belt marks

dagwoodzz

Posting a question for Bobby He lost a his h2o pump and is replacing along with t-chain. Followed all the directions for the t-belt install and lined up motor, sprockets, and belt. Started it up to check and fired up nicely, but smelled smoke.

Went back to inspect and the timing cover was touching the belt. fixed and no problem. Doing so he noticed the belt marks no longer lined up with the motor and sprocket.

What caused this? did the belt stretch or somehow jump a couple of teeth? He question is "Since the timing is fine, should he remove the belt and re-install with the belt marks in the correct place.

I told him if it runs fine, leave it alone but I really dont know. Has anyone else had this happen, does the belt stretch? Should he take it back down and re-install the belts with marks in the correct place?

Anyway he is at his dad's with no internet, so if someone with some belt experience could chime in I'll pass it on.

Thanks, Dag

the last timing belt I put on, if I had followed the directions, would ahve ruined my motor. They put lines and arrows on it to indicate direction, spacing, etc but something seemed wrong when I went to position it. The instructions said to put the arrows 'in' and if I did that, the marks were way off. IF I flipped it over and pointed the arrows out, it was fine. Most important part is the number of teeth between the cams sprockets and to the drive shaft. Get that right and screw the markings.