A new project vehicle maybe?

SC88Pathy

So I was searching Craigslist for job openings (the only people that anyone wants to hire right now is highly experienced people apparently...) and stumbled upon a job for a courier van driver

The catch is you've got to have your own van. So I got to thinking hey I do have a van? Hey I do have a van! Well sort of...

It's an older Ford Econoline. Early 70's make. 302 V8, auto, horrid 70's olive green paint. I think it's an E-100, and has the SuperVan badging. It used to be my grandpas, and has pretty much been parked ever since he passed.

Obviously it needs some work. The last time my dad tried to get it started (a couple of years ago), he found out it had a leaky fuel line the hard way when the gas caught fire. Fire didn't do any damage as they got it put out really quick. So obviously all of the the fuel lines would need to be replaced, and all other lines would need to be checked for cracks.

The interior needs some love, the headliner is falling down. However grandad's custom wooden shelving is still all in good condition.

Grandpa backed into something at some point, so there's damage to the rear bumper and quarter panel on the passenger side.

And obviously it needs all new tires, as they are all flat, and not a single one matches. (Grandpa had MT's installed on the rear tires for better traction driving around our property, but each one is a different brand with wildly different tread patterns).

Oh and it needs a serious washing, there's lichen growing on it in spots!

So am I crazy? Is this the worst idea ever?

Here's an artsy photo my girlfriend took of it, where you can see the back up damage

3038703178_9de36a0be0_b.jpg

So am I crazy? Is this the worst idea ever?

No, because your thinking how to get a job :aok:

More trouble than it's worth? YES :D Not trying to burst your bubble, but it's a V8 and will drink like a fish. It's old and tired and WILL breakdown often and you'll need to sink a LOT of money into it to get it going.

It's tough out in the real world huh...Points for thinking outside the box though :beer:

Edited by TerranoNZ

Well....yeah I think the van needs some work. You'll have to figure out how much work the engine needs before you commit to this job. Also make sure to do all your research on the job itself. As far as if it's long term and whatnot. It would suck to put money into the van for a seasonal or a job that only lasts 6 months. From what you have described it looks like it is going to take a bit of an investment to get her running. New fuel lines at the least along with probably a new battery, oil change maybe a coolant change, plugs, wires, air filter, transmission flush. I would thin!k these things have to be done depending on how long it's been sitting. Especially if this is going to be used daily and for alot of miles. As far as the headliner, just rip it down. Like I said before research the job and make sure it is not a scam or something short term. If it's not and your serious then go for it

Looks like a free van to me. :shrug:

You are on the right track with how to tackle it (gas lines, get it started first) and then go from there. A lot of those earlier vehicles are pretty easy to work on although you may have probs with the carb and it's seals/floats so tackle that right off. The 302 was a decent motor, I had one in a BEAT 69 bronco I drove a few months.

If nothing else, it is experience and will keep you project oriented.

I've seen a lot of that type of delivery/courier work so don't think this is a 1 shot deal.

B

I'v been doing research about the van most of the night.

This particular van seems to get around 12-15mpg stock, which can be improved with headers, carb tweaking, e-fan conversion, etc

The carb is what I'm mostly worried about, as dad thought that might have been leaking too, and because Ford installed some kind of wonky emissions stuff

Thinking it might be best to convert to a new intake manifold and new carb (probably get better fuel efficiency that way too)

I'd spend an afternoon seriously tearing into it. Headliner and cosmetic stuff, gone or dealt with. Bad fuel lines, torn out, etc. etc. Just really look into the job, look into the van, what do you want to spend and what needs to be spent. An old van and a 302 are relatively cheap things to work on. Gas suddenly is cheap these days. Maybe the van needs $500 but the job doesn't work out, so you spray paint and flip the van in a sale and look at the next thing down the tracks. I don't think grandpa would have minded that one bit. Good luck!

I'v been doing research about the van most of the night.

This particular van seems to get around 12-15mpg stock, which can be improved with headers, carb tweaking, e-fan conversion, etc

The carb is what I'm mostly worried about, as dad thought that might have been leaking too, and because Ford installed some kind of wonky emissions stuff

Thinking it might be best to convert to a new intake manifold and new carb (probably get better fuel efficiency that way too)

You've answered your own questions, then. You can rebuild a carb for a few $ with a kit, or have it done. "Wonky emissions stuff" would probably have to be kept and/or installed for Cali certification, but that's no biggie. The mileage sounds about right, and won't get much better regardless, cause you're still driving a big V8 brick down the road. It still sounds ok in my book, though.

You've answered your own questions, then. You can rebuild a carb for a few $ with a kit, or have it done. "Wonky emissions stuff" would probably have to be kept and/or installed for Cali certification, but that's no biggie. The mileage sounds about right, and won't get much better regardless, cause you're still driving a big V8 brick down the road. It still sounds ok in my book, though.

It's a pre-75 vehicle so it is emissions exempt :D

Early 70's make.
It's a pre-75 vehicle so it is emissions exempt

Bingo. Unless there is change of ownership involved. Look into who owns the van, and what it will take to get it registered first. If it doesn't need a smog, it may be worth buying a new Holly 2bl carb rather than fighting with the old one (assuming it gives you problems, of course). :shrug:

B

A courier job sounds like a lot of running around... Not a job for a 30 y/o van.

I'll bet you could get an used Nissan or Toyota van on the cheap. Maybe even less than what it would take to get the old timer back on the road.

800px-Toyota_Van_1.jpg

I had a neighbor who swore by these things for his cleaning service. He and his father owned six between them.

gotta agree with crazyhayseed......if you're gonna spend 5 bills or more on that old beast you might as well find some thing cheaper on fuel and more reliable.........now if you were to make it in to a shaggin waggin.....

Went and took a better look at it today.

According to the doorjamb it's a 74, and according to the badging it's an E-100 Supervan. Also looks like some four legged furry guests took up residence as evidenced by the brown ovals that certainly weren't raisins.

Lots of interior clean up to do

On a somewhat related note dropped my resume off at a bank today. Apparently they're opening a new branch, so fingers crossed...

gotta agree with crazyhayseed......if you're gonna spend 5 bills or more on that old beast you might as well find some thing cheaper on fuel and more reliable.........now if you were to make it in to a shaggin waggin.....

No way am I gonna spend 5k on it! :lol: At least at first...

I'v determined if it seems like it will take more than $1000 to get it in decent running condition I'll put the using it for a job idea on hold. It is a pretty cool old van though, and now I kind of want to get it going again just because

It is a pretty cool old van though, and now I kind of want to get it going again just because

"Just because" is a good enough reason to do a lot of things. I'm sure the parents wouldn't mind it being moved, and once it's up and chugging around, I'm sure you will find uses for it.

Just do it. :D

B

If you want an ultra-reliable van....go with the ugliest thing on earth. Toyota Previa. I've heard countless reports of flawless operation in those things for 500,000miles. My great uncle had one, and even in his senility (the man doesn't understand/remember maintenance) he got 420,000kms out of it before it rusted out.