Strut Mount/Bearing Warning

vengeful

So, you're telling me that you've put 80,000 miles, on the QX4 that you hardly ever drive, in less than 2 years? Again...I call BS.

i do about 3,000 miles a month, what makes you think i hardly ever drive my qx4? its my daily.

Im buying a lift soon, and I was wondering if the strut tower mount that they sell on 4x4parts.com the ones that are having the problems, if so where do i find the OE mounts?

I WAS WONDERING THE SAME...Can anyone confirm if the one from AC is a good one or a bad one???? I buying my springs this week but wondering if I should get the strut towers (it says it also comes with the bearings too) while I'm at it??????

I WAS WONDERING THE SAME...Can anyone confirm if the one from AC is a good one or a bad one???? I buying my springs this week but wondering if I should get the strut towers (it says it also comes with the bearings too) while I'm at it??????

It's always a question of compromise... What kind of compromise are you willing to go for ?? On my part, I did not wanted to spend big money on new coils and re-use old strut mount and bearings etc... After reading a few places (other then npora) that strut mount failed (catastrophically), i decided to not take any chance and go with all new parts. So for me , I saved a little bit more and went with GR2 struts, AC coils, GR-2 Boots and bump stop, Nissan OEM Strut mount, strut bearings, plate and upper seat. Yes it costs more, but I hate doing things twice.. SO if my shocks eventually crash on me, I know it's not going to be because I tried to cut corners when I did my lift.... Just my way of thinking...

So for me , I saved a little bit more and went with GR2 struts, AC coils, GR-2 Boots and bump stop, Nissan OEM Strut mount, strut bearings, plate and upper seat. Yes it costs more, but I hate doing things twice.. SO if my shocks eventually crash on me, I know it's not going to be because I tried to cut corners when I did my lift.... Just my way of thinking...

I AGREE TOTALLY, My lift will not be installed until I have EVERYTHING.....including strut spacers, Black Steelies and Tires! Im buying mine piece at time.....I already have GR-2's and Ranchos for the rears. I'm ordering AC Springs next and saw that they sell strut towers with bearings and was wondering if anyone else went that route or if anyone had problems????

• 2 months later...

Sometimes, I hear a "clunk-clunk-clunk" from the front wheel well when I turn the vehicle to the right or left; when doing a three point turn, there are other clunks as well from that area.

If a strut bearing fails, could this prevent the top strut mount from turning, which would make the coil spring look "bound up"?

I just turned the wheels while parked but could not replicate the noise.

Reason I am asking is that the guy who did the most recent inspection told me that my ball joints were bad, but said nothing about the strut other than it was noisy.

Which is the culprit for the clunk?

• 1 month later...

Don't buy the mounts or bearing from 4x4parts.com. In December I blew up my right mount, and now I just blew the let. They were KYBs from AC. I also want to know if anyone has used other brands than KYB? I need to get the path fixed asap and none of the dealers have the mounts, but PartsPlus does and I believe their mounts are made by Monroe. I kind of want to try them so I can have it driving soon, but if they are as cheap as KYB mounts I don't want them.

i always get my parts from Courtesy Nissan, if i want them to be OEM Nissan (it's a Nissan dealership). they have very competitive prices, and are somewhat local to me, so the parts always arrive within a day or two. if they don't have to be OEM, but only OEM quality, i go to RockAuto. they are much cheaper than NAPA/O'Reilly/AutoZone/etc. for both OEM and aftermarket parts.

• 9 months later...

parts.JPG

Thanks to all for this thread. I ordered the GR-2 struts yesterday from 4x4parts and also ordered the strut mounts. They've confirmed the mounts are KYB so I cancelled that part of the order. Now I need to figure out what OEM pieces to get. I have a '97 SE and am going to have a local garage do the work. The original struts were replaced in 2003 by a dealer and paperwork does not indicate anything about strut mounts so believe I still have complete original mounts in there today and at around 150K miles. Getting everything in the above list from Courtesy prices out at $300 for both struts. I want to get all I reasonably need without hopefully spending $300!!! Courtesy recommends getting mount, bearing, and upper spacer which will run me about $160 total for both sides. Would anyone recommend adding any other pieces? I am original owner and will likely have this vehicle for some time so don't want to go back and redo any work.

Thanks in advance!!

• Like 1

• 4 years later...

I know I'm reviving an old thread here but...

with almost 140k on my original oem strut mounts, they're starting to make some noise and with about 80k on my KYB Gr2's, though they still feel good I figure if I'm in there I'm gonna do them too. After hearing all the negatives on the KYB mounts, does anyone have any feedback on the Moog, Raybestos or Monroe mounts? Or the p/n for the oem units? Looked at the Nissan parts breakdown and could only find all the seperate individual parts, not the complete mount.

PS - Love all the info on this site! Coming back to love on my Pathy after spending a few years and too much time/money on my Titan...

• Like 1

• 3 years later...

I know this an ancient thread BUT, I'm about to do my lift & just realized I'll need new strut mount & bearings. I'm planning on @fleury's 1" spacer with OME struts & OME HD springs in front & either the same in back or AC springs as the OME only come in MD-likely Bilstein 51s in the rear if I use AC springs. I have been advised I likely won't need or want the 1" spacer in back if I use AC springs. Moog K90301 has been recommended to me for the strut mount. Any recommendations on strut bearings & am I missing anything(already planning on camber bolts, upper & lower rear links & a panhard & rear AirLift 1000s). I'll have somebody do it for me 2* my inexperience with springs & compressors & I've heard you often have to cut the old links off. My goal is to get the right parts & do it all at once after I get a plate bumper & winch installed)

Edited by RainGoat

• 3 years later...

About 4,000 kilometers ago I installed cheap $400 (Canadian) pair of complete quick struts for a brand called "Unity" made in China. The bearings were my main concern upon buying them. I'm curious how they'll hold up, I don't have very high expectations.

2001 R50 SE MT