KA24DE?

crazyhayseed

Does anyone know of a KA24DE from a 240sx or Frontier ever being swapped into the WD21?

According to the FSMs, both the 240 and the Frontier share the same transmission w/ the V6 Pathfinder (RL4R01A). The Frontier also shares the TX10A transfer w/ the Pathy.

All of the elements seem ripe for a swap (though it could easily be construed as a down-grade), so I was just wondering if it’d ever been tried.

In case you’re wondering, here are the ratings:

KA24DE -

• Max power: 155 hp @ 5200 rpm

• Max torque: 160 ft•lb @ 4200 rpm

VG30E –

• Max power: 153 HP @ 4,800 rpm

• Max torque: 180 ft•lb @ 4,000 rpm

I would think it to be the same basic thing as having the KA24E from a D-21 Hardbody. Get the mounts and stuff out of one of them and proably bolt right in. Just a guess though

x2

my buddy had a ka24de in his 240 and it didn't look much bigger than my other buddies ka24e so fitting shouldn't be an issue. I'm pretty sure all the KA motors share the same block (like the vg motors) and it was only the heads, bore and aspiration that defined them.

Yep, same block. I think the tranny bolt pattern is a little different between the E and the D though.

The pathfinder KA24e uses a different drivetrain than the V6. However, the transmission is shared between the VG and the DE.

Like I said, I was just wondering. The worst part I can forsee in a swap like that would be engine control and wiring.

The KA-DE is well supported by the aftermarket. There are a couple of different stroker kits boasting the ability to bring the motor from a 2.4 to a 2.6 or even 2.7 litre.

With a few select parts and the right tuning, the engine could very easily out-gun the VG30 while still being efficent and economical.

And it would be a hell of a lot easier to change spark plugs! :tongue:

If planning the swap, and at all usefull I do have two computers out of ka24e Hardbodys (12wd auto and 1 4x4 5 speed). If they would work for you I can definatly save you a couple bucks on one, I'll never use them again and don't care what they are worth.

honestly i never really paid atention to true fuel mileage but a tank seems to last longer and more mileage in my Pathfinder than it did in my 4 cyl Hardbodys(same driving style, all 5 speeds on 31s). And the 6 definatly has a better chance of jumping into traffic than the 4 did.

honestly i never really paid atention to true fuel mileage but a tank seems to last longer and more mileage in my Pathfinder than it did in my 4 cyl Hardbodys(same driving style, all 5 speeds on 31s). And the 6 definatly has a better chance of jumping into traffic than the 4 did.

You could stuff a turbo on the KA24DE and make some sick power, but it would be worthless off road unless you were running some really low gears (numerically high)

I dunno, isn't this mostly a moot point unless one engine is noticeably better than the other? What would the pros be for swapping the 4-cyl? Better gas mileage? Less weight?

Yes, yes. Also, better aftermarket, easier to work on, more room in the engine bay...

The hardbody is a carbed Z24 isn't it? That's a bit of a dinosaur compared to the EFI KA-DE. The L-4's are much more efficient than the V6 in my experience.

And with power numbers already rivaling the 3.0 stock, I'd be interested in what the little four could do when it's built.

I don't think a turbo would be that great, but N/A, stroked to 2.7L, with a free-flowing head, might do surprisingly well off road.

Yes, yes. Also, better aftermarket, easier to work on, more room in the engine bay...

The hardbody is a carbed Z24 isn't it? That's a bit of a dinosaur compared to the EFI KA-DE. The L-4's are much more efficient than the V6 in my experience.

And with power numbers already rivaling the 3.0 stock, I'd be interested in what the little four could do when it's built.

I don't think a turbo would be that great, but N/A, stroked to 2.7L, with a free-flowing head, might do surprisingly well off road.

the KA24E was available in the newer hardbodies, so a KA24DE swap would be simple if you had the computer and wiring harness from the donor car. if you could get the compression up to at least 10:1 with a good cam grind it would make decent power.

• 5 months later...

Hello everyone,

First timer here with a question about the KA24 swap... I have had this idea in my head for the last 3 years ever since my D21 got written off in an accident and I bought a pathy. I like the pathy with 2 exceptions, the vg30 engine and the auto tranny. I loved that little ka24E in the D21 pickup. So if I were to do the swap... from what I understand, I could swap the engine and tranny from one and it should bolt right up to the transfer case in the pathfinder. The idea is to buy one, rebuild the engine the tranny in the garage (maybe with a few modifications) and then hopefully have a reasonably easy swap. I understand the computers going to have to come with the engine, and that the clutch and shifter are going to take some work to install. I mainly want it for the fuel economy, space in the engine compartment and to make it easier to work on. Anyone done it yet? Big advantages to the KA24DE over the E? (I really like the single overhead cam simplicity) I am thinking the exhaust might be a little tricky. I figure the power won't be to big an issue as the toyota 4runners came with the 2.4L 4 Cyl engines that were 2 valves per cyl. Not that they were powerful... but they do work. Any info would be great, was going to look for an E, however craigslist has a DE with tranny right now for $150(400k)

Cheers :beer:

from what I'm learning through my own engine swap [though i'm in the process of going from the Z24i to the QD32ETi] is that the harness and ecu are critical unless you get an aftermarket ecu [which is easier for petrol engines than it is for diesel!]. The reason for this is that the engine itselft KA24DE could well have an immobiliser on it. This will read with the ECU it was matched up to. The KA24E's weren't as complicated as this and so I would believe you need to obtain the harness and ECU for the KA24DE when doing the swap. That's if you plan on keeping the engine std. If you get an aftermarket ecu from any of the larger companies such as EFI, Motec, Haltech, GEMS etc then you won't need to worry about that as they will start you off on the harness you will need. Once that's done, don't forget to get it mapped properly. It's one thing to get an engine running, it's another to get it running properly and whilst listening by ear gives a fairly good indication on set up, I'd always have it mapped properly to get it right as every engine, ecu set up will be different even for the same engine types.

This is my experience to date and so I hope it helps.

Harv.

Thanks Harv!

Picked up the engine complete with wiring harness, computer, tranny, pretty much all attached components. I now have it stripped apart, (will post some photos as soon as I upload them. I think I am going to need a different transmission or at least shift linkage... not exactly sure how or if this transmission can bolt to the transfer case of the pathfinder, I am going to have to check some part numbers again but no big deal. The head was in remarkably good shape for having 400k on it, I think it may have been replaced at some point. Still need to check the valves but by the looks of things I will just reuse it as is if I keep things stock. I was surprised to see that the engine is actually a fair bit longer than the VG30 in my truck. It makes sense but I just hadn't thought about it. will still fit no problem but I might go to an electric fan to save some space. Does anyone know if I would be able to use the steering pump off the KA24 to power the pathfinders steering? The 240sx it came from had rack and pinion steering? Not sure if there are any differences there of if they are interchangeable. Just a thought. More updates soon, and I guess I should probably put this project somewhere under its own post? I am really new to the whole forum thing. Well, other than a lot of reading and searching through.

thanks guys.

• 2 years later...

I have been considering the swap to a KA24DE as well. I am thinking that if I do the 2.6L stroker, plus cams, proper tune, 9.0:1 or 9.5:1 compression, and a small turbo running about 6-8psi you would have a truck that ran extremely similar to a lightly modded VG30 with a set of spark plugs that could be changed without first gelatinizing (I made that word up :P) your skeleton. I am a huge fan of turbo charged cars so I have been looking at 240SXs with the SR20DET for quite some time. The biggest complaint about for the 240 guys is that it is heavy and doesn't rev out like a SR20. We are not as concerned with weight for offroad vehicles and the lack of torque in the SR20 would make it, IMHO, useless in a Pathfinder. I had a Dodge Neon SRT4 and, say what you want about it, that thing had MASSIVE torque and still got 29mpg on the freeway. According to the Brian Crower website the 2.6L stroker kit gives close to the same stroke as a Neon SRT4 but with a larger bore.

You can all tell me if I've lost my mind, but right now it is making logical sense in my head...did I mention I have been up for nearly 22 hours? lol

In case you’re wondering, here are the ratings:

KA24DE -

• Max power: 155 hp @ 5200 rpm

• Max torque: 160 ft•lb @ 4200 rpm

VG30E –

• Max power: 153 HP @ 4,800 rpm

• Max torque: 180 ft•lb @ 4,000 rpm

That seems like it will work.

Edited by Tungsten