Overheating

Kingman

Kinda got a wierd issue goin on here...

Been using some coolant lately, leaking it out on the ground overnight or for a long period of time. However, I can't find where the hell it's coming from, because it doesn't look like its under the radiator.

It also overheats at idle sometimes.

Last month I replaced my hoses and thermostat, and it solved the problem for a while until recently.

It's also intermittent, too. I did notice a few times, I was doing something can't remember what, and i revved the engine when i was under the hood and my radiator cap started spouting coolant.

It does that every once in a while too.

I also noticed that if I fill my radiator up too much, it overheats and the cap will leak.

A lot of pressure building up when reving the engine makes me think along the lines of a leaking head gasket... does the coolant in the resivour ever boil?

Lets hope it's not a head gasket...

There is a small 90deg hose located between the heads at the top of the engine that is prone to be the cause of mystery leaks in the cooling system, take a look at that. The water pump is often suspected when this hose goes out, because the coolant tends to run down the inside of the timing cover and leaks out the bottom, as if it was coming from the water pump.

are you running just colant or colant+water? and how old is your water pump?

50/50 mix, water pump is like 8 months old. Coolant also seems to circulate fine for the most part when it heats up, sometimes it will kinda stop and bubble up, then start moving again.

The thing that gets me is how sometimes it will do it for a few days (I'll probably pour over a half a jug of coolant in it a day) then not do it at all, use no coolant whatsoever, for a few more days.

Edited by kingman92010

A lot of pressure building up when reving the engine makes me think along the lines of a leaking head gasket... does the coolant in the resivour ever boil?

Lets hope it's not a head gasket...

There is a small 90deg hose located between the heads at the top of the engine that is prone to be the cause of mystery leaks in the cooling system, take a look at that. The water pump is often suspected when this hose goes out, because the coolant tends to run down the inside of the timing cover and leaks out the bottom, as if it was coming from the water pump.

Nothing comes out the tail pipe, oil is good, and so is the coolant. No mixing at all. No, the coolant reservoir has never boiled. I dont know what it would mean if it does or doesnt?

And you know, now that I think about it, my throttle body and manifold is greenish looking, like algea is growing on it....looks like fried coolant.

So this could be a combination of two things? That coolant hose between the heads and the rad cap?

I checked that hose, it looks like sh!t and though it didnt leak when I fired the engine up, I can deff see why it would. Also, there's definitely fried coolant around there.

The rad cap sure did spew coolant with pretty high pressure too, burned the crap out of my stomach.

I remember having a H2O gasket fail on my 95(was not me that installed it) similar problems with the occasional leak. Found fluid dripping out the timing cover and behind it.... I know slick remembers the phone call that night and me with the wrong timing belt...

I re-checked today after I started losing coolant again, and I can see a definite trail of coolant running from between the heads near the throttle body down a black slanted cover, around the water pump, and dripping out right from the very lowest bolt on the water pump (I think that's what it is)

10-30-08_2018.jpg

Edited by kingman92010

• 2 weeks later...
pic not showing for me.

Fixed it!

Replaced that 90* hose right behind the timing belt cover, it was cracked all over the place. And a new radiator cap, flushed the radiator, good as new!