Mothers Kia Rio

Kittamaru

Aight, well... her CEL is on and there is a noticable tick coming from it. No power, hesitates to rev even w/ the clutch depressed, and sputtering. She's about 3 months overdue for an oil change, BUT her mileage is still almost 500 miles under the number indicated... then agian, she does city driving mostly so I guess it's moot point.

I checked her oil level and sure enough she's showing about halfway between full and low. However, I could not see any oil in the fill area and it was HEAVILY uhm... the translucent brown @!*%... shelaced? No... you know what I mean. When oil breaks down and goes all hard and @!*% on the metal.

So yeah... it's under warrenty still so we're bringing it into shop... just kinda curious if anyone knows what it might be. We added a quart of oil and it reduced the noise a lot (hydraulic lifters?) but it still won't rev or power right. *shrugs*

Oh and before anyone says it - yes, I know it's a POS Korean car... that gets stuck in under 2 inches of snow 0o'. I hate that thing, but she loves it cause it gets like a million MPG and is great for her little around town hops.

Edited by Kittamaru

Oh and before anyone says it - yes, I know it's a POS Korean car... that gets stuck in under 2 inches of snow 0o'. I hate that thing, but she loves it cause it gets like a million MPG and is great for her little around town hops.

Fuel efficiency aside, you're right. And props to you for not being oblivious to it because Koren cars just bite. Kia and Hyundai would do us all a favour and just stop making vehicles altogether. No disrespect to Koreans but leave the Asian automaking to those who do it best and have done it best for over 100 years :D

My friends mom has a kia sportage, a 2006 i believe, and she hasn't had a single problem with it. Although, she does all the maintenance at the intervals, at the dealer.

This is a 1.5L hampster-driven POS... it, literally, can NOT hit 65 MPH in time to merge on the highway with the air conditioner on... and cannot hit 75 PERIOD with the A/C on...

This is a 1.5L hampster-driven POS... it, literally, can NOT hit 65 MPH in time to merge on the highway with the air conditioner on... and cannot hit 75 PERIOD with the A/C on...

damn my buddy had like the 1st rio that came out that was like $7k with the 5 speed in it and i swaer it was a go-kart on steroids...it would get up and move he had it for about 4 years and it got broken into like 5 times and hit in the school parking lot about the same amount so he traded it in on an 99 camaro...which he kept for a couple of years then traded it in on his ranger...he still says he wishes he had it for his commuter car...

but he never had a lick of trouble out of it

Oh, the car is certainly peppy enough when you have the AC / Heater off and the windows shut and the stereo off :P I just think it's a POS cause 1) it's so weak under the hood and 2) It can't handle even an inch of snow properly.

When the wife's mini van died(dodge w/375k), we bought a new rio. I expected a lot less. It's pretty peppy for 35mpg. It's no muscle car though. We just couldn't pass up the price and mileage. She has a 1+ hour commute. It's surprizingly well constructed. I can't say much for the older ones, but We like it for what it is. I have an aunt that bought a sportage last year. It seems alright for what it is. Just my 2 cents worth.

Well, let me put it to you this way:

My mom's rio... has a dent in it from where my little brother (at 80 pounds) sat on it...

It also has a small problem where, 3 weeks after purcahse, the interior trim started falling off/apart.

Well, let me put it to you this way:

My mom's rio... has a dent in it from where my little brother (at 80 pounds) sat on it...

my pathy has dents in the top part of the fender where it meets the hood, from people leaning on it..... :FartExplode-vi:

I've walked on my pathfinder... from teh bumper, up the hoodd, over the windshield, and onto the roof.

it's... how I wash it

Granted, I'm barefoot at the time (I'm not completely stupid), but it doesn't dent at all...

(I'm not completely stupid)

Wanna bet?

I win or you are a Shau Lin monk that passed the rice paper trick, grasshopper. These things dent if you look at them too hard. I can see points of force dents from slamming the hood, with my palms!!! Do you weigh less than 50lbs or are you my new sensai ?

B

Lol, well, I am light on my feet (I dont' go stomping around on it), but I do weigh in at a heafty 250 pounds...

I've had a big rig loose the 2 inch thick slab of ice that covered the top of his truck directly in front of me. I dont' want to know how many pounds tthat come in at, but it slammed STRAIGHT down onto my hood and windshield with enough force to compress my front shocks and hit the bump stops. It scratched up the clearcoat real good and left a small ding in the windshield, but that was the ONLY effect (thank god). Granted, i thought it was going to come thru the windshield and kill me... but itt didn't.

My truck is 5 years older than yours... dont' know why that'd make a difference but...

• 6 years later...

The Rio 's are notorious for timing belts breaking or skipping teeth. I worked in a Kia parts dept for 6 years (Don't judge me it was a job and paid well at 19 years old haha). There was a period of when we would multiple Rios a week brought in on a flatbed. We used to make wagers on mileage and if was going to be customer pay or warranty lol. I would check that first. And I would call a dealership service dept and have them run your VIN for any open recalls or campaigns.'m I believe the00-02 had about 6!

Pathys are pretty good at major damage aversion due to the thicker sheet metal panels (the reason they called the pickup the hardbody was because of the thicker gauge sheet metal they used vs. The 720 pickup) but the problem is that there's so many flat spots on our trucks! If you walk anywhere near a corner joint of sheet metal, it's unlikely it will bend. I weigh 260 lbs and have walked all over my truck, but in strategic areas (along the sides where the sheet metal has shape) and never dented anything. I would never walk through the middle though !

My sister had a Kia SUV thing. She said it was completely gutless. 45MPH up the hill out of town with the throttle to the floor. Hers ended up with a mystery disease. It would fire up, run for a few second then die. New ECU, new wiring harness and about 2 months of diagnostics it was scrapped. Hers had a wiring harness recall but it had been previously done. She now drives a Subaru. Far better in the winter, hasnt died randomly and can go up the hill without being floored at over 45mph while doing 30+MPG.

Hardbody on the other hand....I had an oil pressure sender die.

Edited by deerhurst