tranny problem?

dogy2003

ok, so i''m om the highway and me friend shifts the truck into neutral and I thought it was second so I accidentaly shifted it into reverse at 65-70 and now the truck won't shift into first, is there anything I can do to fix this?

I suspect your tranny has set itself in limp mode... If you have a check engine light, I suggest you get the code from the "Consult" device at NIssan (you won't be able to get the code from an off-the-shelf" code reader as these are manufacturer specific (transmission)... If you do not have a check engine light, then I would start with the self-diagnostic procedure included in the nissan AT shop manual...

I have uploaded it here for you...

http://www.4shared.com/file/67415395/60f3df77/at_online.html

good luck...and let us know how it turns out..

ps. I just tought of one thing....you could try to un-hook your negative terminal from the battery for a good 10 minutes...this could clear some stored codes and could make your tranny kinda reset itself...So if it's a electronic thing, this should fix it...if it's mechanical...it's another story...

Edited by fleurys

ok, so here's where I'm at right now: I tried the battery trick a few times and that didn't solve anything, it cleared the check engine light for the o2 sensors but the tranny stayed the same. I am almost 100% sure that it is in limp mode, it's in 3rd gear no matter what I do. So then I tried what the service manual said, turn the ignition to on, then off for 5 seconds and then back to on, and in theory that is supposed to reset the tranny.... which it didn't. So I don't get it, are there more steps involved that I'm not doing? Reverse still works fine, and if it had shifted into gear when I screwed up then shouldn't reverse be the most f**ked up gear in the truck?

I checked all the fuses under the hood and the spot next to the steering wheel... any others I am missing?

I hate to say it, but your problem may being caused by something mechanically damaged inside the box. The electrics are saying their Ok but they may not be detecting a mechanical problem.

Hope I am wrong, but it may be time to get it checked by a transmission shop.

Geoff