so i want a roof rack, what you got?

Channel595

my pathfinder didn't come with a stock one and its got just a bare roof, i like the way the yakima setups look but i would rather have one that is more solid/permanent. does any one here have the yakima and could please give me info about it? or any other advice...

I have the OE rack and its been quite handy. the sliding crossbars allow you to sandwich smaller cago b4 you tie it down. I been thinking about modifying an xterra rack and putting that on (for the looks) if you'd like to fund that project you can buy my OE rack....

I have a Thule clamp-on style rack similar to the Yakima, but the cross bars are rectangular. One nice thing about it is it can be removed quickly and easily if need be leaving no sign it was even there.

How would one go about installing the rails that the racks clamp on to?

My pathy didnt come with a rack, its just a bare roof, and I want to go to the junk yard and pull the rack off of another pathfinder.

I take it I am going to need to pull my headliner, and drill holes?

well thats what im asking is the thule or yakima rack worthy to abuse or should i just get a permanent style rack? i dont really like the oem one because its hard to find and one thing that i was thinking about is the roof rack off a 90's chevy jimmy it looks about the same size and there is a lot at my local junk yard

well thats what im asking is the thule or yakima rack worthy to abuse or should i just get a permanent style rack? i dont really like the oem one because its hard to find and one thing that i was thinking about is the roof rack off a 90's chevy jimmy it looks about the same size and there is a lot at my local junk yard

I carried 20, 16' 2x6s on my Thule once, the bars bowed a little but handled the weight just fine. I think they are rated at 250lbs/bar IIRC, but that is the "recommended" limit, you know they never put the true max rating on things.

How would one go about installing the rails that the racks clamp on to?

There are no rails, they clamp to the rain gutters under your doors, and have feet that rest on the edge of the roof to distribute the weight.

http://www.aibaworks.co.jp/roofrack.htm

Know any good JDM importers?

Sure do :-) I use to be one until I sold my business.

There are no rails, they clamp to the rain gutters under your doors, and have feet that rest on the edge of the roof to distribute the weight.

Ok, and if I wanted to install a basket onto the rack, how would I go about doing that?

I want to get something that has a wind deflector.

Sure do :-) I use to be one until I sold my business.

Well then, I'm glad you're here...

Is there any way to get one of these Noselda racks w/o having to pay over $900 usd?

That's the conversion on the sale price at Shuei anyhow...

I wish I read more Japanese :( They've got all kinds of cool parts for the WD.

noselda-b-rack.jpg

Edited by crazyhayseed

Ok, and if I wanted to install a basket onto the rack, how would I go about doing that?

I want to get something that has a wind deflector.

Most all baskets made to fit on an existing rack come with hardware to clamp onto the cross bars of the rack.

I bought my Coleman basket on clearance at Target for $99. On my 88's stock rack:

rack1.jpg

Do what LD50 and GG did. Yakima, thule or sportrack crossbars that clamp to where the raingutters in the door would be what i would have gotten had i not have had the factory job already. Cheap (used ones), sturdy and quickly removable for the winter time if you don't ski or snowboard. The factory roof racks are not as heavy duty as the clamp style. Make your own wind fairing if it doesn't have one.

These trucks don't have nice full length rain gutters like patrols and landcruisers so i don't think any of those japanese jobs would fit a pathfinder without heavy modification. I just got the same basket gg did only it's branded by sportrack. i got it used for $80 with a spider web bungee

Edited by skrillaguerilla

These trucks don't have nice full length rain gutters like patrols and landcruisers so i don't think any of those japanese jobs would fit a pathfinder without heavy modification.

Actually the D21 Terrano (search テラノ) is listed in the application guide with two different sizes.

I like cheap, and the Coleman isn't bad, but it sure ain't as pretty.

Actually the D21 Terrano (search テラノ) is listed in the application guide with two different sizes.

I like cheap, and the Coleman isn't bad, but it sure ain't as pretty.

Yeah, but the one you pictured looks similar to Surco Baskets which run around $250 and up without mounting hardware. The Coleman/Sportrack one is similar in style to the Yalima Load Warrior. There are tons of options out there, it is just weeding through which ones are worth what they are charging for them, and how much you are really gonna use it.

Well then, I'm glad you're here...

Is there any way to get one of these Noselda racks w/o having to pay over $900 usd?

That's the conversion on the sale price at Shuei anyhow...

I wish I read more Japanese :( They've got all kinds of cool parts for the WD.

noselda-b-rack.jpg

I can look into it, but I bet its going to cost you a bit.

Thanks for the info on the types of racks, baskets, and mounting. It answered my questions.

I just hope the thread starter got the info they needed as well.

for that kind of money, i would get one of these and some clamp on crossbars and still have enough money left over to outfit it with shovel and jack mounts, floodlights, cb antenna etc... you get the idea.

you could probably get SteveO to order you an all steel ARB roof rack for less than importing one from Japan

rugged rocks

Edited by skrillaguerilla

• 2 weeks later...

Well in my case I only need it to carry the garbage from the house as I don't want to the inside of the car have smell of garbage I only decide to screw this plastic box used to carry fresh chicken LOL(very well washed of course) on top since I have her she has those bars that I not sure what are they for but I haven't remove them because I like how she looks (I believe is for a special brand of rack)

fTb8Ix074859-02.jpg

And amazingly I notice that is not necessary to tie with ropes or something else to this cage because is very deep and the wind don't blow up the garbage bag will running (I notice because I forget one day to tie it and I drive in the highway 12 kilometer at 70MPH here in Mexico is allowed and the garbage didn't ever move)

So then I decide to look for a second box to place next to it so that my Pathy appear uniform.

and as soon as I take them I show you how it looks

Now she looks like that

zugbdF038086-02.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
Well in my case I only need it to carry the garbage from the house as I don't want to the inside of the car have smell of garbage I only decide to screw this plastic box used to carry fresh chicken LOL(very well washed of course) on top since I have her she has those bars that I not sure what are they for but I haven't remove them because I like how she looks (I believe is for a special brand of rack)

fTb8Ix074859-02.jpg

And amazingly I notice that is not necessary to tie with ropes or something else to this cage because is very deep and the wind don't blow up the garbage bag will running (I notice because I forget one day to tie it and I drive in the highway 12 kilometer at 70MPH here in Mexico is allowed and the garbage didn't ever move)

So then I decide to look for a second box to place next to it so that my Pathy appear uniform.

and as soon as I take them I show you how it looks

Now she looks like that

zugbdF038086-02.jpg

I envy you Ramon.

:handlebars:

• 3 weeks later...
Most all baskets made to fit on an existing rack come with hardware to clamp onto the cross bars of the rack.

I bought my Coleman basket on clearance at Target for $99. On my 88's stock rack:

rack1.jpg

hey, GG, do you trust that basket being on your stock rack? i just picked up the same roof rack at a pick n pull and installed it today with my dad's help. idk how much i trust its strength. seems kinda flimsy aluminum to me. i don't plan on using mine that much anyway. lol.

The basket actually helps stiffen the rack when it is properly clamped. The real issue is the rack pay load, factory says something like 80lbs. It's just sheet metal after all.

You installed the rack. How, what fasteners? Jack nuts? Please elaborate, that's what helps other people out... ;)

B

i forgot the name of the fastener that i used, but it was like a mix between a nutsert and a jacknut.

here's basically the setup i had.

nutsert_tool_1.jpg

but the fastener itself was about twice as long. the first half acted like a jacknut (pictured below) but it was more stout because there was less space between the parts that separated outward. basically, there were just thin slits in between the divisions, instead of huge chunks missing like there are in the picture below.

s_jack1.jpg

the second half of the fastener acted pretty much like the nutsert in picture one. i think it's probably sturdier than the factor fasteners, which were nutserts. but the rack itself is a little on the weak side.

oh, and i have these roof supports that went the same way that the rack rails go--the length of the roof. they're flush to the roof, not raised up. they're like the ones in this thumbnail.

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=htt...l%3Den%26sa%3DG

oh and i drilled 5/16" holes for the nutsert/jacknut fasteners and used regular sheet metal screws for the roof supports in the middle. tomorrow i might have to just take a few pictures that explain it all. lol.

Edited by StatutoryApe

I have a Yakima rack that clamps to the doors in front and rests on the roof in rear with rails attaching both crossbars. It's all made by Yakima, you can get a wind deflector for it, and I can rock the whole Pathy back and forth just by holding onto the roof rack. They're pretty beefy!

For my WD21 I moddded an old yakima rack that was designed to be mounted to a rain gutter.(check out old VW or volvos) I took off the clamps that would have held it to the gutter and shaved down the feet so that they would slip between the door and the body and rest on the door frame. I then drilled holes through the feet of the rack and corresponding ones into the body of the pathy. I used stainless steel screws, rubber grommets, and a healthy dose of silicone to mount the rack and seal it up. It worked really well and as mentioned above you could rock the whole truck back and forth by holding the rack. I did buy a wind deflector as the noise of the naked rack was horrendous. The wind defector works well and looks pretty good. The point of this is that you can probably get an old yak or thule rack for pretty cheap and mod it to fit your rig. If your interested in pics of the rack let me know.

-this will only work for a 4 door- :excl:

Edited by ticker