interlock switch?

Channel595

the interlock bypasses the clutch switch in M/T and I beeve the park position switch in an A/T, thus allowing you to start the vehicle without pusing in the clutch or having it in park. The purpose is to allow you to start if you have stalled (say in a rut) without disengaging the drive train (which could cause you to roll back or lose ground). you should be able to press it and turn the key. If you have to hold it and turn the key, you need to check your A/T relay fuse but I think its called someting eles on the fuse panel.

BE CAREFUL and know your surroundings using this feature will cause the vehicle (if in gear/ drive) to move the instant you turn the key because the starter will be turning not just the engine but every thing else attached to it too.

hope that helps, I've also used it in a parking garage when somone parked 6" from my driver door(they folded my mirror to do it) I got in the passenger seat put it in 1st, hit the button turned the key and pulled it outa gear/e-braked it when I was out far enough to open the door. Yes I coulda crawled over the center console but this was more entertaining. Our nissans are so versetile aren't they?

are you sure its broke if u have tohold it in? im pretty sure i have never used mine besides like once and thats hows its always been for me. I hold it and the brake light will come on and if i left go then it brake light goes off but if i hold it and the brake light is on i can start it with the clutch out.

I'm sure. I push mine once, when the key is in the "run" position only, the swithc springs back on its own but when I turn the key form "run" to "start" it starts right up. If you have a blown fuse It still works but you have to hold it and it won't work if you push it in any other key position.

EDIT:

the correct fuse should be in the top row 2nd to last on the right. the fuse should read the following for that fuse;

"A/T CONT

SEAT HEATER

KICK DOWN

10A"

Edited by MY1PATH

No, it's on the older autos. My 95 doesn't have one, but my first did. It lets you move the shift lever w/o the brake being depressed.

Handy as hell when you're working on something from the passenger side. You do have to hold it in.

I have it in my Manual trasmission so it can't only be for auto. I have never held it, I just tap it and go and its not stuck or faulty cause it won't work if I don't push it.

Edited by MY1PATH

I have it in my Manual trasmission so it can't only be for auto. I have never held it, I just tap it and go and its not stuck or faulty cause it won't work if I don't push it.

Nono, I'm not saying you're wrong. I guess I'm saying that it's on the autos too? I have no idea what the manual is like, but I can vouch for the AT.

>>>"AFAIK it's only on manual transmissions though. I dunno why you'd need an interlock switch on an automatic"<<<

I think my first was a 92 SE? I can't remember now. I didn't have time to get too familiar. I've got the paperwork around here somewhere. I'll dig it up if I haf'ta.