What is your prefered motor oil?

silverlion

We are always having commercials about oil shoved down our throats. Who cares about this study or that scientific test. Let's go real world, real wheelers and see what "results" we come up with.

I am a huge Royal Purple fan. I've been using this since the RP reps were pushing this unheard of oil out at the race tracks. (I used to race the Mickey 10.5 series back in the day) I was a Valvoline fal before that for my racers, but a Castrol high mileage fan in my DD's. I have had great results with the RP oil and have never had any bad experiences with it. Though expensive, I feel it is worth the extra bux for the 4% gas mileage increase (actual experience, not TV tests), next to no engine wear, and reduced engine noise (lifters, etc). Make sure your new engine is broke in before the switch. I have not given other synthetics a chance, found something I liked and stuck with it. What are your preferences?

my old r50 i used Mobil 1 and used it in every vehicle i have owned until i bought a 350z and did some research of peoples experiences with M1, this lead me to switch the Z to the castrol syntec made in Germany. My loyalty to M1 is faded.

now in my current winter steed i just put in castrol gtx in when i first bought it a couple of months ago, partially because i wanted to drive the thing for a little while to see if it was going to make it through the winter and if it died i didnt want to waste the expensive oil on something that will just rot in a yard. So far the wd21 is kicking ass and i plan on getting the oil filter relo kit and using a synthetic on the next change in a couple of weeks.

if you are a dino oil fan i have just found out that Napa oil is valvoline just relabeled and the oil filters are just relabeled WIX ones

so you could save a few bucks by going with the blue and yellow. --> if i remember the link to this i will add it.

i am interested to know others choices too

I use Mobil1 5w50 synthetic in my 95, but am gonna switch to 5w30 for the winter. My 93 hasn't had an oil change in like 2 years as it is in storage and never driven. But my dad always put castrol gtx in it. 20w50 I believe, almost no wear on both of my engines....

And for filters I use the motomaster brand ones (Canadian tire) as I do not want a fram filter on my truck ever again.

To each his own I guess....

Edited by redfinder

Mobil1 full synthetic for the win...there is a reason both Mercedes and BMW use it in their engines, and my ML320 went 230k without valve tapping or any engine problems...they have me for life (and I use their oil filters too)...I used the recommended in the Pathfinder (I think 10w30) but since I don't ever see below zero temps I am going to put in 10w40 next time...

Castrol Edge Sport 10w-60 for my race engine

Castrol Edge Turbo Diesel 5w-40 for my 4x4

or...

Silkolene Pro R 15w 50 for my race engine

I am curious though to try Valvolene's VR1 engine oil for my little race car

I tried Amsoil once and was not impressed at all. By comparisson though, every time i've put in Castrol oils, my engines have just felt smoother and by the seat of my pants, happier engines. So i'm very loyal to that brand now.

You guysl 'll hate this; I use which ever 5 qt(2 oil changes) jug cost the least when I'm @ schucks + 1qt of lucas oil(each change), I think it was shell this time....

You guysl 'll hate this; I use which ever 5 qt(2 oil changes) jug cost the least when I'm @ schucks + 1qt of lucas oil(each change), I think it was shell this time....

I'm with you man.....whatever's on sale, as long as it's a trusted brand. :shrug:

I just did an engine flush on my 'new' 95, then ran the cheapest autozone stuff I could find for a week, drained it again and have Castrol 10w30 synthetic/dino blend (best of both worlds :) ) in it now with a gigantor Bosch filter hanging off of the filter relocator adapter. I think that is all it needs...

B

Castrol high mileage - 15w40 IIRC plus a quart of Lucas, on the final fiew thousand miles on my D-21 I ran more Lucas than oil, bottom end knock. Gave for a hard start but took care of the knock....

After reading stuff from (bobtheoilguy)'s site and Amsoils very own site Formula Shell oil is very good for its price! I am currently running it in my 93 Civic w/??? miles on it.

In my 02 Path and 01 Alty...Mobil 1 full synth with a Napa Gold Filter. I run the lightest weight I can find in the handle bottle (1 gal or 4 qts) of M1.

I thought pathy's were supposed to be 10w30... some people running up to 5w50...?

No, I don't' know about the r50's but on the first gen paths the recommended weight is 5w30. I run 5w50 in the summer as it is an older engine with hardly any wear and I want to keep it that way.

As long as you're not running a really thick oil in the dead of winter, you should be ok. My dad ran 20w50 in the 93 all winter, but it was garage kept.

Im a HUGE fan of royal purple. I use it in everything, engine, trans,tcase and diffs. Its the only thing i use. Then a k&n oil filter. Not because its the most expensive but because its got that nice little hex thing on the bottom so i can use a wrench to get it off instead of stabbing the mobil 1 filters everytime with a screwdriver to get them off.

I don't really understand the differences... I know 5w30 is thinner than 10w30... but I thought w50 was transmission grade o0'

My 1990 Manual says 10w30... what kind of difference would I see if I ran 5w30?

I don't really understand the differences... I know 5w30 is thinner than 10w30... but I thought w50 was transmission grade o0'

My 1990 Manual says 10w30... what kind of difference would I see if I ran 5w30?

ATF is transmission grade lol, well for autos. If you have a 5 speed, its gear oil, not motor oil. I think the standard gear oil is 75w90???