Max tire size VS Lift Kit Used VS Custom or OE Wheels

fleurys

I'm buying some 31" BFG A/Ts that come with 6bolt chev rims. I recall reading that chevy rims will fit the pathfinder, but I also remember reading that they won't fit over the front hubs. Which is right? I have stock suspension with the stock drive flanges (no manual hubs).

For $200 it would be stupid not to pick up these tires and I have no problem selling the rims and buying new ones if they don't fit.

Anyone run chevy rims? Can I run chevy rims?

I run 6 lug 16s. I'm not sure if they came off of a chevy or a ford, almost any 6 lug wheel is compatible

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Update...

Year: 2000 3.3L LE Superlux

Lift : front 1,5" Imal springs; rear 1,5" IronMan springs.

Wheels : 16" Stock

Tires : Firestone Destination A/T (265x70R16)

Notes: No other mods, no rubbing...

image_zpszlcbawpk.jpeg

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

I confirm 255 70 17 is simply too big. The tires fit on 17" stock rims (same as those seen on 02psychopathy pics), but they clearly rub in the front fender. I did try them on a dry fit. I finally decided to go with 255 65 17, because I wanted the width. I am pretty satisfied with this. This makes a 30" x 10" tire, which is big enough for this truck, if you don't want modify anything or melt any plastic. They fit without any problems. I thought about 265 65 17, but since the trail that goes to my cabin has many short stiff drops, which makes the rear axel to seriously push one wheel up in the rear fender, I had a doubt. I did test them (255) at those precise spots and there is 1/4" left between the tire and the fender, so 265 would rub. I have to say that my rear springs are nearly due. I guess, I you want to push it to the limit and deal with slight rubbing, which could be solve by remodeling the plastic fenders, 265 65 17 is fine, but if you don't want to modify anything at all 255 65 17 fit perfectly. As 02psychopathy posted, 245 70 17 seem to be fitting pretty nicely too, but for some personal reasons I find that 245 is not wide enough for a Pathy. Maybe it because that is the width you find on Honda Ridgeline, which I don't like at all. Cheers

Are you talking about a pathy with a lift or completely stock? I am installing an OME 1.75" lift tonight and would like to run the 255/65/17 size tire. Will that fit under my lift or will I need to go a touch smaller?

Josh

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

• 3 weeks later...

2004 LE, I just put on some 255/75R17. There was mainly only rubbing on the front mudguards that we could find but the strut is practically resting on the tire, so new rims or wheel spacers are now extremely necessary. I do have the ARB Sahara bar so that's probably why there isn't any rubbing on the front bumper, but it is a tight fit all around and the tires look stuffed in there.

97 SE -

lifted with Old Man Emu struts with Fleury's spacers on top and OME medium duty springs

OME Nitrocharger rear shocks and OME medium duty springs

factory flares removed/replaced

inner wheel well liners reshaped with heat gun

camber adjustment bolts up front

Mickey Thompson wheels 15 x 8 (3.62 backspace)

Dick Cepek tires 31 x 10.50 x 15

IMG_20160904_140028.jpg

IMG_20161002_164311.jpg

• Like 4

2001 Nissan Pathfinder SE 4x4 5spd with stock 16" wheels. I tried to get my new General AT2'S on the factory rim size and it rubbed against my front coil struts. 265/70 r16's

So, I had to buy rims to keep the new tires. Here's a pic:https://cloud.tapatalk.com/s/5804d08926ba2/20160926_182731.jpg?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

1997 Nissan Terrano 4X4. Goodyear Wrangler 265/75/16, wheels Berg 16x7 offset -10. SFD 5".

2rnhk75.jpg

2dr6p91.jpg

I plan to install in the coming days Yokohama Geolander A/T 33/12,5/15...

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I fit 265/70/r17 on my stock 2001 QX4. Only rubbing happens in reverse while turning. And it is only slight rubbing, I know I could heat up the fender lining and fix the issue. I removed my running boards before I put the tires on, mostly because I like the look, and secondly they kept rubbing the back of my leg getting out.

IMG_1662_zps24ferq0t.jpg

IMG_1652_zpsijplfljl.jpg

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

So..Ive got an 03 pathfinder everything is stock. Door frame says 255/65/16's But has 255/70/16s. I'm installing new KYB stocks and struts. For price purposes a 265/65/16 is cheaper than a 255/70/16. Do I need any lifts or mods done to fit the 265/65/16's?

So..Ive got an 03 pathfinder everything is stock. Door frame says 255/65/16's But has 255/70/16s. I'm installing new KYB stocks and struts. For price purposes a 265/65/16 is cheaper than a 255/70/16. Do I need any lifts or mods done to fit the 265/65/16's?

You can use 265/70r16 without problem... Well, maybe you will have small rubbing in reverse at full turn. 👍

• Like 1

• 9 months later...

Year: 2003 3.5L Ti (130k on clock)
Lift : 2" Tough Dog Lift. No Spacers.
Wheels : 15x8 Sunraysia's Neg 22 Offset (not sure on backspace)
Tires : Maxxis Buckshot M/T
Notes: No rubbing when full lock (Not trail tested yet) Front splash liners cut anyway to fit bull bar, bottom of each guard/fender pulled back to allow clearance- no visual impact.

Wheels definitely sitting a little wide, just waiting for the defect notice.....

Apologies on tiny and terrible quality pic, first ever post so still working it all out.

Thanks to all previous posters in this thread, lots of advice on what and what not to do/go for!

23360913_10155216088673667_1030411264_n.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I just bought a 2000 Nissan Pathfinder and it has 265-70R16 on it and of course it's rubbing what size lift do I need to put on it to stop that and does anyone else have that size tire with a lift of any size if so can you show me what it looks like and let me know what size lift it is

• Like 1

I just bought a 2000 Nissan Pathfinder and it has 265-70R16 on it and of course it's rubbing what size lift do I need to put on it to stop that and does anyone else have that size tire with a lift of any size if so can you show me what it looks like and let me know what size lift it is

Unless Google is wrong that's 30.5" tall. It should fit just fine. How bad is the rubbing, and where is it? The stock tires are 29.5" tall, and I highly doubt at extra half inch all the way around would cause problems. I'd bet only 1 or 2 inches of lift would be necessary to alleviate the problem.

• 10 months later...

Year: 1998 QX4
Lift : Stock
Wheels : Stock
Tires : More Stock, Bridgstone all seasons
Notes: Too low and looks too small. Need to change that.

Hey All, new member. Just picked up a 1998 QX4 auction mystery special. I needed a vehicle for the winter and to get up the mountains where the people aren't. Came with good tread on stock sized tires, but I'm going to upgrade to be a little more trail capable before next spring, I.e. lift and tires. 1-1/2 - 2" seems about right without getting serious and ruining driveability, and I think 32s are about right with that. Most of this thread uses AC as is I'm sure the preference, but I'm thinking of cheaping out and getting spacers on eBay. Anything wrong with that on a beater? TIA!

Edited by Mhand52
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, Mhand52 said:

Lift : Stock
Wheels : Stock
Tires : More Stock, Bridgstone all seasons
Notes: Too low and looks too small. Need to change that.

Hey All, new member. Just picked up a 1998 QX4 auction mystery special. I needed a vehicle for the winter and to get up the mountains where the people aren't. Came with good tread on stock sized tires, but I'm going to upgrade to be a little more trail capable before next spring, I.e. lift and tires. 1-1/2 - 2" seems about right without getting serious and ruining driveability, and I think 32s are about right with that. Most of this thread uses AC as is I'm sure the preference, but I'm thinking of cheaping out and getting spacers on eBay. Anything wrong with that on a beater? TIA!

Downside of spacers is they move the range of articulation further down, so the CV's can potentially reach an angle where they get damaged.  With AC springs they maintain the factory range of movement, however they cannot go to an angle higher than factory, so they cannot get damaged simply by drooping too far.  If you do decide to "cheap out" and go with spacers, I would highly recommend sfcreation.com.  He's a guy on the forum here and makes a great product.

• Thanks 1

• 3 months later...

Year: 1997 XE 4WD
Lift: OME MD Springs (after worn out factory springs, so I'm ~1.75-2")
Wheels: Trail Master 15x8, 3.75" backspacing
Tires: Falken Wildpeak AT3W 31"x10.5"x15"
Notes:

1) Rubbing when turning sharply, both forward and reverse. Will do some work with a heat gun in the next week or two to see if I can get rid of it.

2) Contrary to some people's experience, I cannot fit a spare 31" tire  - it hits the panhard bar and the hitch. An extra 1/2" would probably do it, so perhaps if I swapped hitches it would work.  

*Edit: There seems to be some metal bracket that guides the spare. I don't see any purpose for it beyond that, so may try bending it back to see if I can get that 1/2"

Edited by malacandro
  • Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Update!

Lift: SF Creations 2" all around spacers

Wheels: AR Outlaw 15x8 et-19(3.75"BS)

Tires: 32x11.5r15 Falken Wildpeak AT3W

Notes: I removed the useless and very rusty running boards. It rubbed on the front corner of the bumper at about 2/3 turn. Was able to get around for a couple days but used a heat gun on that corner and the raised liner areas. Needs more or trimming for off road clearance.auOBMGG.jpg

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Year: 2001 LE

Lift : none - stock suspension

Wheels : 15x8 rock Crawlers 3.75BS

Tires : BFG KO2 A/T 31x10.5

Notes: rubbing on the front bumper on full lock or close to full lock. drove for a few miles and hit a dip and my rear tires rubbed on the rear fender flare. 

I removed one of the rear fender flare last night and upon measurement = got me over an inch difference in space. I will keep the rear fender flares off until I save up for the lift. 

maybe drive it more and the rubber will thin out lol. I can post a pic if anybody wanna see it.