Max tire size VS Lift Kit Used VS Custom or OE Wheels

fleurys

I would like to propose a discussion about the maximum tire size vs the lift kit used vs custom or oe wheels. The fact of the matter is , most of us (neewbie) come here to either find what lift kit can be put on our rig.. After that we want to know what is the max tire size if we keep the OE wheel....etc...

The thing is not all of this info is available a one place and sometime not all the details are there (ex: usage of wheel spacer to prevent rubbing)...

I have read the thread about tires and lift kit, but having one place for the package deal would benefit most of us who do not have modified our rig yet but are planning to do. Having all the infos before hand, in details, could save us a lot of issues since , for me for instance, it is my daily driver. So I can't just go in a garage and play the try and fit game.... I mean we have to order the tires, rims, before the installation, and if they don't fit, well it's back the next time...

Here's what I would like to see... If you have better ideas, please fill in.

1) Should be somehow sorted by truck and year that have the same setup(R50 96 to 99) (r50 99.5 -04) etc, and have the lift kit that was choosen, then the tire installed (lt 265/70r16) and any other modif to make this tire work (wheel spacer, trimming of inner fender, etc..), and the wheel (either OE or aftermarket with deltails important for the fit ex: backspacing, offset, width).. pictures would be crucial ..

This would make an easy 1 stop place for everyone to easily see what it looks like and what is needed to make it work. This way we can order all the parts in advance, and get to the installation knowing what to expect before we do it..

So there it is, the idea is out now...

Edited by fleurys
  • Like 1

I like the idea but it may be too hard to accomplish. Reason being that there are to many variables to take in to account. For example: On my old pathy 98 XE when I got it it had 15x7 american racing wheels with im guessing 4.5" BS and 30x9.5x15 BFG AT's anf they fit fine. Once I put my lift on I went up to 15x8 4" BS with 31x10.5x15 Yoko Geolander AY+II and had to trim the inner fender. Where as there is an other memeber on here that had 31x10.5x15 BFG AT's on stock rims no lift and had no problems with rubbing and what not. Even though they were 31x10.5 on his they werent a true 31" and neither were mine but they were closer to a full 31" than his were. As for asking about BS and rim width and what not most tire manafactures have a recommonded width for their tires, granted you do have to use these widths it is reccomonded. BS on the other hand is kind of a personal preferance, how far do you want them to stick out and what out. When talking about wheel spacers IMO I would not use them as they can add unneed stress to the hubs and bearings and add to the upsrung weight of the wheel. If others would like to add what they have used and what has worked and what hasnt I think that this would be a great thread.

• Like 1

csutke: don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to get a full proof thread..Just a one place for info for wheels and lift kits on different paths.. I simple explaination of what you have and what was done for your specific rig is more than enough...

LAXMAN:

That's it..this is exactly what I want to see...The only thing I would do , for the sake of searching in the thread, is the format... I propose something like this :

Year: 1997

lift : AC 2" coils

Wheels : Xtrerra SC Wheels 17"

Tires : {brand and model here) - 265/65R17

Notes: wheel spacers 1.5" had to be put on to stop the rubbing on full lock on the plastic skid plate and strut.

photo : link here of the truck and wheels.

Thanks laxman..

Edited by fleurys

I needed wheel spacers...I am hoping to buy the Dick Cepek DC-1's and elminiate this wheel space problem with a better back space amount. This is the largest problem with large tires on the R50's.

Year: 2002 SE

Lift : 2" AC lift, 3/4" strut spacers

Wheels : OE SE Double Tri-star16"

Tires : 265/75/16 Bridgestone Dueler A/T Revos

Notes: Rubs front bumper and inner fender frame area in tight backing turns WITH 1.5" adapters

photo: Cruddy but in tact!

Edited by 02silverpathy

Ok fleurys, heres what I have:

Lift: 2 inch AC coils and one inch spacer

Wheel:Xterra Supercharged wheels, 17x8 unknown backspacing

Tires: BFG Rugged Trail T/A 265/65R17

Notes:Needed 1.5" wheel spacers to prevent rubbing the front skid plate and the strut while turning at full lock

Photo: post wheel spacers...

0928081828a.jpg

Lift: Stock springs, no spacer, no lift

Wheels: Stock 6 spoke SE wheels, 15x7 unknown backspacing

Tires: 3 Dominator Radial A/S and 1 Uniroyal Liberator A/T, all tires in 30x9.50R15

Notes: no issues at all...

Photo:

DSC00219.jpg

I deleted my other post to make this look more organized...

Edited by laxman0324

Year: 1999.5 XE

Wheels : 16" AR 767's

Tires : Bridgestone Dueler A/T Revos - R275/70R16 which were later replaced by LT 265/75R16

Notes: bought the AR 767's to ensure the tire would clear the strut mount. No issues with the R275/70R16 (31"), slight rubbing on tight turns (parking lots) with the 265/75R16 (32").

I should also note that when I got the lift and tires I still had the stock bumper, I had to trim a bit of the plastic in front of the front tires to stop the tire from rubbing.

photo : This is the R275/70R16's The new ones a a bit taller, and narrower.

Minden_IMG018.jpg

Year: 1997 XE

lift : No LIFT

Wheels : 16" ROH Monsoon 16X8 -13offset

Tires : Bridgestone Dueler A/T P245/70R16

Notes: no issues, no rubbing, no spacers

photo: path2.jpg

Edited by fleurys
  • Like 1

Year: 1997 LE

Wheels : Pro-Comp Series 97 wheels (97-5883; 15x8; 6x5.5; BS:3.75")

Tires : Goodyear Wrangler MT/R 32x11.50R15

Notes: removed front and rear mud flaps, trimmed fender liners, rolled the upper lip of the rear fender. Inside shoulder of right tire rubs at full right lock.

Photo : pic1 pic2 pic3 pic4 pic5

Edited by XPLORx4
  • Like 1

Year: '98 XE

Lift : 2"

Wheels : Helo Maxx8 (16"x8", 4" offset I think)

Tires : Toyo Open Country A/T (265x75R16)

Notes: No other mods, rubbing at full turn right or left... otherwise :itsallgood:

http://i452.photobucket.com/albums/qq242/t...er/DSC06564.jpg

http://i452.photobucket.com/albums/qq242/t...er/DSC06573.jpg

http://i452.photobucket.com/albums/qq242/t...er/DSC06610.jpg

http://i452.photobucket.com/albums/qq242/t...er/DSC06612.jpg

Edited by tekazgtr1984

Year: 1998 XE

Lift: 2" AC

Wheels: 15x8 ??? 4" BS

Tires: 31x10.5x15 Yokohama Geolandars AT+II

Notes: Had to trim inner fender on both sides due to rubbing in reverse

100_1402.jpg

Year: 2004 SE

Lift: None

Wheels: Stock 6 spoke 16x7

Tires: 255/65/16 Hankook Dynapro AT (soon to change)

Notes: None yet

100_1608.jpg

Year: 1998

lift : AC 2" coils, 4.5" subframe drop, 2.5" strut spacers, 3" rear coil spacers

Wheels : Pro Comp 8179 15x8" 3.75" backspacing

Tires : BFG MT 33x12.5

Notes: extensive trimming in front, front and rear bumpers, sometimes rubs at full lock

photo :

NPORA-TOTM-2007-NOV.jpg

• Like 1

Year: '97

lift : AC 2" lift coils

Wheels : 15x8 black Rock Crawlers

Tires : 32x11.5 BFG Mud Terrains

Notes: some rubbing from the bottom of the fender (close to the door)-gonna be cutting the hell out of my fenders in a couple of weeks to fix this as well as give me more clearance

photo : IMG_0595.jpg

• Like 2

lift : AC 2" coils, 4.5" subframe drop, 2.5" strut spacers, 3" rear coil spacers

Notes: extensive trimming in front, front and rear bumpers, sometimes rubs at full lock

photo :

NPORA-TOTM-2007-NOV.jpg

who made your bumper? I love it!

Year: 1999

lift : AC Lift Coils

Wheels : Unique 297 (Cragar Soft 8) 15x8, 3.75" Backspacing

Tires : 32x11.50x15 BFG All-Terrain TA/KO

Notes: No rubbing at all. This is my second set of 32s on the truck and I didn't have any rubbing issues with the first set either. Granted most of the plastic in the fender wells is gone, and I've got the TJM T-15 bull-bar which creates more bumper clearance for tires.

photo : Warning, linked pictures are large.

Pic 1

Pic 2

Pic 3

Pic 4

photo :

NPORA-TOTM-2007-NOV.jpg

I concur... that bumper is just killer. In all honesty, your whole damn Q is just

pure insanity! It is just suh-weeeeet :aok:

• 1 month later...

I will drag this back up for my new tires...

lift: AC coils 1" spacer up front

Wheels: Stock 97 wheels, 15x7

Tires: Definity Dakota A/T 31x10.50

Notes: Without my wheel adapters I get a little rub at full lock turning the wheel to the right, will update with wheel adapter if i keep it...

1106081055.jpg

0107091008a.jpg

Edited by laxman0324

• 3 months later...

Year: 2003 Chilkoot edition

Lift: none

Wheels: Stock 16x7 and 16x8 Dick cepek dc-1, 4"BS and -12mm offset

Tires: 265/70/r16 Bridestone Dueler revo

Notes: No rubbing when the duelers were on the stock wheels. When duelers were on dc-1s, more clearence in strut, had to trim front fascia and melt plastic

with heat gun to stop rubbing

pic1

• Like 1

Year: 2000 SE 4x4

Lift: none

Wheels: 16x8 with 4in backspacing

Tires: 32x10.5-16

Notes: these are not my wheels/tire but we trial fitted them to see if i could clear 32s with NO LIFT. the tires clear the struts just fine, but with any more backspacing and the tires will rub. the tires rub the fenders at full compression, but at full lock there's no rubbing on the frame. they barely rub the inner fender on the front side, but that's easily remedied. do note that i have an ARB front bumper which already gives much more clearance than stock. i don't think 32s will fit stock fenders without major trimming.

• Like 1