Cheap lift solution?

silverlion

I have a question about lifts. Spacers to be exact. Why can't a person just make some 2" spring/ strut spacers, rather than replacing the stock springs? Seems like if you put heavier springs on the struts, they top out all the time. Whay not space the strut itself down and still keep the stock ride? Any input would be helpful.

He didn't say stock ride height, he said stock ride.

Theoretically, you could do that, however, on full droop, your CV's will extend further than intended, which could cause issues. Other than that it would work.

Well, if you put the spacers on the coils, not on top of the strut, the struts would only extend to regular droop, and wouldn't do anything to your CV's, as they'd still be within stock spec.

I just realized this...my cousin called me yesterday saying he was lifing is 4runner with 3" lift for about 200$ with a new parts kit... he told me basically it was polyurethane coil spacers.... I asked him if it was common for this truck and he told me he had verified with 4x4national (a canadian 4x4 modifier)m and they do it all all the time without issues...just a re-aligement to be done...

So I checked a bit and found this...: http://toyteclifts.com/images/stories/pdf_files/ftinst.pdf

The install procedure is pretty straightforward and i'm just wondering why nobodu did this before for the paths... here's what they seel for the 4runner for 140$! 3" lift : http://toyteclifts.com/components/com_virt...roduct/TAC3.jpg

wouldn't these just fit for us ??

for all the mechanics out there : what do we need to check for the spacers of other truck work with our ?? I mean I read somewhere that jeep cherokee coils work on some applications (WD21 I think)...couldn't we just check for coil spacers for cherokee ?? if it exists..

Sorry SilverLion for kinda "pushing" the discussion here .

Edited by fleurys

Wouldn't putting a giant coil spacer severely dampen your compression distance (or whatever you want to call it)?

dampen? you mean limit?

A little I suppose...

If a spacer put under the coil is 2" thick and the vehicle sits 2" higer the coil can still only compress the same amount.

now lets say that a coil for 2" lift is used and pretend that the thickness of the winding is the same on new and old (we'll call it .5") the taller coil may have 2 more windings and so when fully compressed those windindings have to be considered. (.5"x2=1")-2"=1" so our theretical taller coil would only be able to compress 1" farther than the coil with spacer.

so yes but not severely.

If you look at the pictures from the subframe drop trucks that is exactly what they do. They weld in plates and put in spacers to lower everything. When they do the front they put in much larger spacers above the strut mount (4-5") and do the subframe drop components so they can maintain the stock struts/cv axles...the angles dont change and those trucks have no more flex then my 2" lifted trucks, they just sit 4 inches higher on the metal blocks and such

I've been thinking of combining both apps to make way for 33" tires...

that is, strut tower spacers and and polyurethane coil spacers in the

rear... Still thinking about it with the other stuff I have to get done

beforehand... :treadmill:

But with spacers installed won't the CV axles get even more angled,

resulting in more stress on them? :unsure:

But just for the record, I'd still go with a lift kit just because it mean

in beefier springs (which make a HUGE difference off-road) and plushier

struts and shocks (which really improve on-road handling and off-road

damping when absorbing bumps and such).:D

Edited by tekazgtr1984

I've been thinking of combining both apps to make way for 33" tires...

that is, strut tower spacers and and polyurethane coil spacers in the

rear... Still thinking about it with the other stuff I have to get done

beforehand... :treadmill:

But with spacers installed won't the CV axles get even more angled,

resulting in more stress on them? :unsure:

If you sandwich the strut spacer between the upper strut mount plates it wont let them droop too far, otherwise a subframe drop would be necessary...

If you sandwich the strut spacer between the upper strut mount plates it wont let them droop too far, otherwise a subframe drop would be necessary...

So with a 2" lift kit already installed, I'd probably have to do a sub-frame drop in order to intall spacers? :huh:

So with a 2" lift kit already installed, I'd probably have to do a sub-frame drop in order to intall spacers? :huh:

No. The strut rod attaches to the upper strut plate. If you put the strut spacer between the plates you sit one inch higher since the coil sits at the same height when the weight is on it, but it prevents the strut from flexing too far and exceeding your CV angle...

No. The strut rod attaches to the upper strut plate. If you put the strut spacer between the plates you sit one inch higher since the coil sits at the same height when the weight is on it, but it prevents the strut from flexing too far and exceeding your CV angle...

Oh sweet! So then a spacer app would be a good way to add extra space...?! :jig:

That's awesome! :fireworx:

tekazgtr1984 -- people have used the strut spacers with the 2" lift... typically they will add an inch to the front, to even out the tow truck look... any more than that is a lot of extra strain on your CV angles.

tekazgtr1984 -- people have used the strut spacers with the 2" lift... typically they will add an inch to the front, to even out the tow truck look... any more than that is a lot of extra strain on your CV angles.

Tow truck look? :huh:

I was thinking strut spacers up front and maybe polyurethane coil spacers for the back... still totally unsure 'cuz 2" has been better than alright for me so far.

Do you have both apps on your Pathy?

Tow truck look? :huh:

I was thinking strut spacers up front and maybe polyurethane coil spacers for the back... still totally unsure 'cuz 2" has been better than alright for me so far.

Do you have both apps on your Pathy?

The pathy naturally is a bit higher in the back, than the front, and some people dont like it.

I just have the 2" lift... not interested in the spacers myself.

The pathy naturally is a bit higher in the back, than the front, and some people dont like it.

I just have the 2" lift... not interested in the spacers myself.

Tow truck look eh...? It does look raked for sure but that is bad ass :D

I love how my Pathy sits... it's a truck, but has a real sporty look and feel

to it... Oh wait, it's an SUV :laugh: