Drinking and Wheeling

dagwoodzz

in america, its a terrible idea. Here in so cal, you have sherriffs patrolling popular trails, and busting DUIs even in BFE.

in Baja, D&D is a way of life, and is a cultural norm. Unfortunately there are more bizarre accidents as a result, but I find it to be a very fun lifestyle.

We have a written rule.

There is to be NO consumption of alcohol while on the trails, or with any potential of driving. Alcohol may only be consumed after the day is finished at camp.

I agree 100%. I had my share of that in Texas. I have an uncle that ownes a few quarrys and we always went there to drink and wheel. We did some stupid things in the day. Ruined many vehicles, spent a lot of money, all we have now are memories and nothing else to show for. Moving to Oregon and getting used to their laws (You can't drink anywhere hardly), I have found that you can have fun without alcohol. It costs less too. But when at camp or back home, I party 'till I hit the floor!

drinking and driving is illegal? i encourage it completely. i believe it helps you think more clearly, as i type this message i just drove out of the sticks. i mean if your not breakin stuff your not drivin hard enough, even though every time after i drive drizzled, my car has more strange noises and feels different as if i was driving the piss out of my car the night before...

Usually the broken rig on the trail is the one with the case of beer. These folks normally block the trail for everyone else and tend to leave half the mess behind for someone to pick up.

With that said I think we all know our limits. Beer tends to wear me out if consumed throughout the day! When everyone is around the campfire talking smack about the trip I am off in some happy spot sawing logs. Personally I have a better time if the "wobbly pops" are left for the stories that will be told around the fire. Plus as the day goes on they sound better and better soaking in a nice cold ice chest.

Edited by AK9849cy

X10 for no beer when driving.

The 2 first times I went wheeling was with a group where all they did was to stop every 15 minutes to pee, then drink beer again, and so on... not fun at all.

Now I just go wheeling with people who don't drink (when driving). Even when we had our traditional monthly meeting we don't drink (but we used to do it a little bit) 'cause there's a new law in Brazil: if driving, we can't drink at all, not even a single cup of beer. If you want, get a taxi.

Drinking and wheeling can hurt:

http://br.youtube.com/watch?v=iHGTegrW6-Y :suicide:

I've drank beer while wheeling and don't have a problem with it as long as I'm not in an OHV and I know the trails and I'm not hammered...

I've had beers in a car while heading to the beach or on a trip with friends...stupid yes but whoever was driving was limited to 1 per hr which still carries the same penalties as the driver drinking 12 and driving but we don't want to kill someone. The same goes for boating although if I'm in charge of guiding the boat I will not drink b/c things on the seem to happen a lot faster than on the roads.

There was 1 night me and the ex gf drove back from Ga to NC and shouldnt have but that was after a guy threatened to kill me and was pretty serious about it b/c he was screwed up on so many drugs and we neither one had the $ to get a hotel and she didnt want to sleep on the side of the road...it was her car and she was much better than me but still would have pass a sobriety test but probably failed the breath test...As hammered as I was I gave perfect directions out of BFE gave her a good heads up on a deer that was about to jump out that let her get slowed down and stopped about 4 feet from the deer and at about 7am I was well enough off to complete the last 2 hours of the drive when she was about to fall asleep...that is by far the stupidest thing that either one of us have done and wouldnt ever do that again.

I have a couple friends that would get hammered and drive and i refuse to ride with them and in college I was known to walk anywhere to up to 10 miles to get home b/c there was no way me or my friends were getting in the car with me driving or any of them if they weren't good to drive and if not we called someone or all piled in a cab. Hell I even walked to a frat house that one of my buddies was pledging too b/c he was suposed to be leaving for a good long drive and when we got over there he was passed out drunk so we had a chevy door key and opened up his silverado to get the keys to the tool box jacked his truck up took the drivers side tire off so he would see it was off before trying to drive somewhere and hid the lug nuts in his console...he was pissed but when he found out it was us he was very thankful b/c after seeing that he didnt even look for the lug nuts and I tihnk he would have killed himself or someone that night if he had drove.

This was a guy I went to high school with and "the friend" referred to in the article is one of my closest friends and was the DD who Jackson was supposed to ride with but the girls were at the bar across the parking lot and he had gone to tell them that he was taking everyone home when he got back his roommate and friend were nowhere to be found...The sad part is that guy that killed him was found walking down the highway and didnt even remember that jackson was in the car and when they told him he only wanted his wallet and phone. After being bailed out he was seen at parties getting drunk...his blood test somehow got "tampered with" and were thrown out of court. In court he showed no remorse for what happened. He has since finished school and I don't know where he is but definitely don't feel he got what he deserved in life yet since he was a repeat offender of DUI's.

He was a passenger with the seat slightly reclined and his "head injuries" were pretty much decapitation.

http://www.madd.org/Article-Archive/2008/J...ing-Victim.aspx

So yea I've had beers on the road and on the trails and will probably have them on the trail again but its within limits and the understanding that if I'm caught I could loose my truck, license and possibly job and is it worth the risk, no but thats why its never on governed trails like OHV parks but on private land...

I picked up a ton of beer cans everytime i went to URE none of which were mine and i've never had a beer on a trail there but if I would have my cans would have been crushed and put in a bag in the back just like any other drink I would have on the trail. I won't judge you for it and if I was on the trail and could tell that you were drinking other than obviously seeing a dixie cup and were keeping up and not doing stupid stuff then I wouldnt have a problem with it

if there's a doubt that you could walk the line then don't take the chance but that doesn't mean hand the keys to someone else assuming that they are ok to drive. I don't think there is anyone that hasn't driven when they shouldnt have but I'm sure they thought about it quite a bit afterwards