Drinking and Wheeling

dagwoodzz

I like to put down a few and hit the woods behind my house. Never think twice about it. It's deeply wooded with heavy bogs. About the worse that could happen is get stuck. It's all 1st gear driving.

My opinion changes if others are involved or on a private off-road trail. That is absolutely never for me because of the risk to others and the property owner who was kind enough to make his/her trails available to the public.

Curious if the consensus was the same, or if I'm way off base.

Personal opinion, being a wrecker operator who tows for the local police department, I am against any drinking and driving mixed. Now on your personal property close enough to walk back I'm guessing, and nobody else is around to suffer, thats all on you.

Never.

Even say I was on my own property, and the only one I'm gonna hurt is myself, I respect my truck too much... (I bash the crap out of it well enough with no adult beverages... egads @ what I may do after a couple wobbly pops!)

I wont lie, Ive had one for refreshment out on the trail. Brothers truck broke and the rest of us sat around shootin the she-it while we waited for the parts run and repair. One guy brought a case. Though, Ive never drank a bunch then went out wheelin. Well, Ive never drank anything then went wheelin'. I try save those for when I get home and have a empty stomach.

Edited by 5523Pathfinder

Well if you put it like that then, I'll drink, but no more than I would if I was going to drive on the road. If I've had less than 2 in the last hour I'd drive. (I'm taking beers too, anything hard and I ain't driving.) I've been on club runs where I had too much and then everyone decided to go back out, I just took a passenger seat.

No, i don't do it, and won't wheel with those that do. This is fun because it can be dangerous. I don't need the added element of drugs/alcohol, and too many people just don't seem to know their limits. My .02

putting a few down and driving is a bad idea

x5

a "refreshment" as in 1 may be acceptable but the way I see it do stupid @!*% when I'm sober so....

beware that even if your the only one you could hurt do you really wanna get hurt? and what if its much more than a "scratch"?

i'm on the same page as 5523Pathfinder. save 'em for around the campfire

Around the campfire finished for the night, or during a long break (cooking lunch, etc), that can be another story. Before heading out or just before starting up again, not at all.

Although for me, since I have kids with me and no other possible drive, then it is not at all on an outing.

Well if you put it like that then, I'll drink, but no more than I would if I was going to drive on the road. If I've had less than 2 in the last hour I'd drive. (I'm taking beers too, anything hard and I ain't driving.) I've been on club runs where I had too much and then everyone decided to go back out, I just took a passenger seat.

X2

I'll drink a couple at a restaurant, then drive home. What's the difference on the trail?

The key word is Responsibility. If you've got a buzz, you shouldn't be behind the wheel.

If you're too immature to know (or admit) that you're fukt up, then you shouldn't be drinking in the first place.

Now, we are talking about drinking before driving right? Drinking while driving is just plain dumb, no matter the circumstance.

No hard stuff for me either. I gave that up when I realised what a silly drunk I am.

X2

I'll drink a couple at a restaurant, then drive home. What's the difference on the trail?

The key word is Responsibility. If you've got a buzz, you shouldn't be behind the wheel.

If you're too immature to know (or admit) that you're fukt up, then you shouldn't be drinking in the first place.

Now, we are talking about drinking before driving right? Drinking while driving is just plain dumb, no matter the circumstance.

x3

I don't have a problem with having a beer or two, but no more than I would if I were going to drive on the road. Like crazyhayseed said, it's about responsibility.

and yeah, drinking while driving is dumb, might spill your beer :)

Having said that, there are a few 4x4 groups around here that definitely have a drinking problem. If you're at any of the big mud bogs on a long weekend, you're probably going to see a rollover. To me that is silly, not only because you put your own life at risk but when you're driving like an idiot on a FSR you put other people's lives at risk as well. But then again that sort of thing does also happen out of pure stupidity or chance as well.

Close enough for me... I love my beer and my vehicles (dune buggies, 4x4s, superbikes, etc) but I've learned not to love them together...

B

When I was in high school I remember hearing about a test the CHP did (this was before the limit was dropped to .08) where they did a driving test after drinking. They did the test sober, then did it with 1 beer in the hour before driving, then tested with 2 beers, then 3 beers, and stopped at 4 beers. When sober the patrolman drove fine, with 1 beer he actually drove better than sober, with 2 beers he was back to about the same as sober, with 3 he started to make mistakes and with the 4th he did terrible.

Against it... too many nasty accidents in Winnipeg due to drinking and driving.

On the trails though, to eash his/her own. As long as it doesn't put anyone

else at risk but the person drinking.

Riding shotty on trails while being half in the bag is quite a good time though :D

I like to put down a few and hit the woods behind my house. Never think twice about it. It's deeply wooded with heavy bogs. About the worse that could happen is get stuck. It's all 1st gear driving.

My opinion changes if others are involved or on a private off-road trail. That is absolutely never for me because of the risk to others and the property owner who was kind enough to make his/her trails available to the public.

Curious if the consensus was the same, or if I'm way off base.

I am with you 100%! There are 5 or six of us with similar equipped offroad vehicles and we have 300 acres at our disposal! We drink, off road, and stay the night!!! There is nothing more fun to me!

been a number of times, back when i was in WY, me and my cousin would be out, 50 miles from anyone but antelope and jackrabbits, beer was a good thing. the high desert really sucks the moisture out of you. but i dont recomend drinking at high elevation. wew! but i agree, 1st gear creepin with brew is good times. as long as your not totally retarded. i have seen people, in situations, who should drive even sober. especially since the itroduction of cell phones and now text messaging.

I wont lie, Ive had one for refreshment out on the trail. Brothers truck broke and the rest of us sat around shootin the she-it while we waited for the parts run and repair. One guy brought a case. Though, Ive never drank a bunch then went out wheelin. Well, Ive never drank anything then went wheelin'. I try save those for when I get home and have a empty stomach.

been there done that, if i have one or two in a hour ill drive but after that i wont not worth my licence or if i kill someone living with that on my mind all the time couldnt do it

i drove one block once because my gf refused to drive my car when i was pretty much smashed and had the brains to pull over and say either we were walking or sleeping in the truck there...if i can feel the alcohol after an hour or so im not driving, otherwise i dont have even a buzz so its fine to drive