Hello all question from a newbie

dagwoodzz

I just bought a 87' Pathy v6-xe 4wd 2wks ago. It's my work truck and w/end toy. However my offroad maiden voyage I was stuck in the mud 30ft from the Road. This is my 1st 4wd drive ever. My buddy (also a Pathy4wd owner) told me I should get the largest A/T's possible. Currently have 15" 30.5 and want to go up to 33's. I have enough fender clearance but am not sure about turning.

Can anyone tell me what the largest tire is that I can put on w/out fear of major rubbing?

I do not want mudgrips b/c I commute 1/hr roundtrip to work. Can't handle the noise. Thanks in advance, Dagwoodzz

Welcome!

So you got stuck... if the mud wasn't that much, maybe it's more a matter of time, like you told, your new to offroading.

As long as I know, these are the max sizes you can fit in your Path:

- stock: 31 x 10.5 x 15"

- w/ 3" of lift (body or susp): 32 x 11.5 x 15"

- w/ 3" body lift & 3" suspension lift: 33 x 12.5 x 15"

I'm almost new to offroading too. The better is to go offroading with more buddies, so there will always be someone to pull you out of the mud when you're stuck! :P

i have to agree with what flnl had to say

just an interesting point: i wonder how 31 muds would go against 33 at's?

i personally woud take the muds, but its still an interesting thought B)

by the way Welcome

:beer:

yeah sometimes the hum of lugs on pavement sounds better than what's on the radio

plus they kick arse

Thanks for all the advice so quickly, The tires I have now are in immediate need of replacing. I will look closely at the 31s BFG MTs as recommended. Price will have some impact on the final decision.

The garage forum makes lifting look like easy option for larger tires. I'm eager but new, so I will try to take baby steps.

If this post stays active over the next week I will let you know what I end up with. I need to take some photo's to share as well. I still haven't washed the mud from last week. (My own little trophy)

need a smiley face with diapers! ;)

Thanks again

btw. my 31s sometimes do rub the inside of the fender wells and sometimes the flairs when wheeling but mostly in serious articulation and I am used to it now. No damage from this at all. I did loose a rear rubber bump stop so the tire hits the fuel pipe cover once in a while but no big deal.

The MTs are so much better then ATs. I am a convert... -bounce-

You can get a decent lift for the price of:

Jeep Grand Cherokee springs ($20-40 at the junkyard)

Crank your Tbars (free)

Alignment (consult your local shop)

I also have 31" BFG MT's and they're not too loud. They also wear excellently. I drive pretty aggressively and they have 40K miles with probably 1/3 of their tread left. I've also heard the Kumho MT's are very good, and maybe even quieter than the BFG's. And their 32x11.5's are a nice inbetween and pretty cheap, way cheaper than the BFG's.

Tires

there are other tyres on par with bf's, if not better, out there

i would look in to these: coopers (trust me you will never go back once you try em), bridgestone, kumho, simex

go the muds, you know you want em :D

31X11.5-15 kumho's mud grips is what I've decide to buy. I've located some JGC spring coils in a local junkyard to lift the rear. I will need to buy some balljoint spacers for the front lift.

I did want the grips! B) A man thing I guess.

Thanks again for all the positive advice. I'm sure I will have many question when I do the lift project.

Don't know yet, What a Crock

Taking some advice from Mr. Pickles, my own research only came up w/ good things to say about them.

Local dealer wanted $141/tire installation not included, I can get them on-line for $94/tire

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?ti...romCompare1=yes

(first time posting link) hope it worked. Anyway hope to save $50-$60 total.

Hope to get them on in the next 2 weeks

Thanks Dagwoodzz

post-19-1090621129.jpg

I read my last post and it didn't sound like I wanted.

The Crock comment was for the Tire Dealer. Not Mr. Pickles my apologies :hide:

Mr. Pickles advice gave me confidence I made the right decision.

Thanks again Mr. Pickles

I read my last post and it didn't sound like I wanted.

The Crock comment was for the Tire Dealer. Not Mr. Pickles my apologies :hide:

Mr. Pickles advice gave me confidence I made the right decision.

Thanks again Mr. Pickles

No problem. What tire dealer did you go to? I've bought Kumho brand tires for 2 other cars from Discout Tire/American Tire, and they were a good deal both times mounted and balanced. This was for 1 set of passenger car tires, and a set of low pro's my Prelude a few years ago. Hopefully 3rd time is also a charm when my BFG's finally die.