abs light on

pathproud

Interesting note about the CV axle.

My 97's ABS tone rings are pressed onto the back side of the hubs. In order to get to them, you have to pull the hub assembly. I have never seen an ABS tone ring on an R50 CV axle before.

enchoian- Did you have any service to the front brakes or hubs when you replaced the CV axles?

You will not be able to see the ABS tone ring, as it is behind the brake dust shield on the back side of the hub/rotor. You'd have to take the wheel off and look behind the brake caliper to see it. You could at least check the condition of the ABS wheel sensor cabling, but it's still advisable to remove the wheel for the best diagnosis. A floor jack, impact wrench, and 19mm socket will make short work of that.

Stock lug nuts on an R50 use a 21mm socket. 

Thinking back, you are right, I misremembered the location of the tone rings on them. Most likely cause is damage to the sensor itself or it's wires. If the tone ring was on the axle, then those who replace the drive flanges with locking hubs would have ABS issues whenever the hubs were unlocked. 

Edited by Mr_Reverse

Those CV axles are fine.

To diagnose your ABS problem, follow the procedures outlined on page BR-46 and following from the factory service manual brake section (BR.pdf):

https://www.dropbox.com/s/1qk3m8p1gj9rvnh/BR.pdf?dl=0

Location of the ABS sensor wires and the tone rings on the hub is diagrammed on pages BR-34 and BR-35