odd sound under the hood... could it be my injectors?

MY1PATH

ok, last week I got a code 45 from my ecu (leaky injector or something) and the light came on every time I hit the peadal. I put some lucas injector cleaner in my tank and it cleared up I re-set the ecu and checked back frequently for new codes.

tonight after work I noticed my Idle a litle low so I popped the hood to turn it up. under the hod I hear a sharp, fast paced but not loud clat-clat-clat sound. it sounded like it was coming from the air cleaner box.

I noticed the niose is in rythm with the pusling in the fuel line from the fuel filter. when I rev it the pulsing steadys out (slower rythm) and the fuel line pulsing is less dramatic. I assume it slows down becuase the injectors are spending more time in the open position.

anyway, has anyone dealt with this before?

are my injectors going bad on my TBI?

ok, last week I got a code 45 from my ecu (leaky injector or something) and the light came on every time I hit the peadal. I put some lucas injector cleaner in my tank and it cleared up I re-set the ecu and checked back frequently for new codes.

tonight after work I noticed my Idle a litle low so I popped the hood to turn it up. under the hod I hear a sharp, fast paced but not loud clat-clat-clat sound. it sounded like it was coming from the air cleaner box.

I noticed the niose is in rythm with the pusling in the fuel line from the fuel filter. when I rev it the pulsing steadys out (slower rythm) and the fuel line pulsing is less dramatic. I assume it slows down becuase the injectors are spending more time in the open position.

anyway, has anyone dealt with this before?

are my injectors going bad on my TBI?

isnt code 45 for california emissions vehicles only?

is yours cali?

is yours cali?

Mine here in canada had a code 45 for injector leak as well. My factory (the dual ones) cats were clogged and caused the truck to run.... errr bad

is yours cali?

yes, I have a cali model. don't know if 45 is cali specific.

any ideas?

suggestions?

I still get good gas mileage, and it seems to run ok...

sould I run it till something fails?

or swap out the injectors (owch$$$) and see if thats really it?

ok I took off my injector cover and fount out that the passenger side injector is the culprit. I noticed an ajustment screw on top of the injector. (I can't keep my hads off anything) tightening it made it quieter and my engine sounded smoother. then it came loose of its seal gushed fuel everywhere doh!!! :stickwack:

I shoulda put the injector cover back on each time to keep it from poping up. I rigged the throttle open and let it vent for a while and while waiting, I decided to polish the little injector cover. I got all the pits and factory molding marks out of it with an air tool and a scotchbrite disk and got it to a near-mirror shine. then I put it back on, pulled the fuel relay and cranked it till it turned over. It ran for about a minute when it did and left a nice puddle under my tailpipe. (there goes $10)

Anyway I checked parts america and they have a few choices;

Niehoff

Python

BWD

Standard Motor Products

I looked up python because they are outa the norm compared to what I usually see for my repalacement parts and they seem to be a perfomance injector company. so I'm thinking I might go with them (not the highest price either) anybody got any other ideas or reason not to go with python?

I just found out that neihoff& Bwd are owned by SMP so from parts america ist python or them lol

tha python is actually a reman with a $60 core return (making it the lowest @ 280 after return) so I'll prolly go with that.

• 1 month later...

Update:

I finaly got my new Injectors in. I went with the Python Performance injectors. It took the ECU a full day of driving to fully ajust to them(exhaust smelled pretty rich for a while) No noticeable differance in performance but my CEL stays off now and I think I'm getting better gas mileage. My wife drove it and got just as far on a quarter tank as I normally do (she usually gets worse MPG; waits to long to shift & revs it to pull out from a stop) so it seemes to be doing better on gass but I'll have to wait a few tanks to be sure.

EDIT;

oh yeh, and it starts up really quick now! On a warm day it will start faster than you can turn the key and faster than I've ever seen any vehicle start.

I guess this is a good thing right?

Edited by MY1PATH

Update:

I finaly got my new Injectors in. I went with the Python Performance injectors. It took the ECU a full day of driving to fully ajust to them(exhaust smelled pretty rich for a while) No noticeable differance in performance but my CEL stays off now and I think I'm getting better gas mileage. My wife drove it and got just as far on a quarter tank as I normally do (she usually gets worse MPG; waits to long to shift & revs it to pull out from a stop) so it seemes to be doing better on gass but I'll have to wait a few tanks to be sure.

EDIT;

oh yeh, and it starts up really quick now! On a warm day it will start faster than you can turn the key and faster than I've ever seen any vehicle start.

I guess this is a good thing right?

was it just the noise that led you to believe it was bad injector or was there performance issues as well?

ok, last week I got a code 45 from my ecu (leaky injector or something) and the light came on every time I hit the peadal.
was it just the noise that led you to believe it was bad injector or was there performance issues as well?

The tapping was abnormally loud, the new injectors are quiet and My exhaust was also smelling rich.

now that its quieter and the exhaust smells normal(ecu is able to contro air fuel ratio better because injector is not leaking) and I might be getting better mpg are all things that re-enforce the the old one was bad.

Are you thinking youre having problems too?

• 5 weeks later...

final update on MPG results;over the last 3 tanks I seem to be averaging 1-1.5 mpg better than I was before I did the injectors. Over the last 2 tanks I have been letting the vehicle Idle to warm up in the cold for about 10 min before dirving.