emissions woes v2.0

schickdog

hey all. i posted up about my 88 in the other section, but have a new issue with a different vehicle. so my pops has a 97 v6 4wd 155k. his service engine light came on, and the code is p0420, and that is "catalytic system efficiency below threshold, bank 1". I scoured the forums and couldn't find anything, so i apologize if i missed it.anyways, pops took the pathy to the dealership and they said $1300. riiiiiiight.

Here's the first kicker. the pathy has 2 cats total. one per side, up front, right off the exhaust manifold. We got told that those pathys have 4 cats total, 2 per side. Anyone know for a fact what is supposed to be? His truck has been passing emissions every year with flying colors, so it's not been an issue not having the rear pair of cats, if in fact they have 2 pairs of cats. he bought the truck in 98 with 20K, so i can't imagine someone doing some custom exhaust work in the first 20K.

so, my question is, 2 cats or 4 cats total? then, p0420, bank 1? the front 2 cats, correct? or is bank side-dependent?

autopartswarehouse.com also lists 4 different cats, front right, left, rear right, left, each ~$220/piece. anyone dealt with them and the quality of their parts? and, is it a huge PITA or just a small PITA to change em? everything is bolt up, so no welding. Chime in with your $0.02. Thanks a million!

Edited by schickdog

hey all. i posted up about my 88 in the other section, but have a new issue with a different vehicle. so my pops has a 97 v6 4wd 155k. his service engine light came on, and the code is p0420, and that is "catalytic system efficiency below threshold, bank 1". I scoured the forums and couldn't find anything, so i apologize if i missed it.anyways, pops took the pathy to the dealership and they said $1300. riiiiiiight.

Here's the first kicker. the pathy has 2 cats total. one per side, up front, right off the exhaust manifold. We got told that those pathys have 4 cats total, 2 per side. Anyone know for a fact what is supposed to be? His truck has been passing emissions every year with flying colors, so it's not been an issue not having the rear pair of cats, if in fact they have 2 pairs of cats. he bought the truck in 98 with 20K, so i can't imagine someone doing some custom exhaust work in the first 20K.

so, my question is, 2 cats or 4 cats total? then, p0420, bank 1? the front 2 cats, correct? or is bank side-dependent?

autopartswarehouse.com also lists 4 different cats, front right, left, rear right, left, each ~$220/piece. anyone dealt with them and the quality of their parts? and, is it a huge PITA or just a small PITA to change em? everything is bolt up, so no welding. Chime in with your $0.02. Thanks a million!

I had This problem with my 1997 Pathfinder 4wd SE I replaced all 4 OXYGEN SENSORS not Cats, there are 4. 2 front and two back. Im pretty sure the rear 2 on the exhust are a three wire type and the front ones in the engine compartment are a 4 wire. ( I'll check when its daylight for you.) If you can manage to do your own crimps you can save a ton of cash. I bought mine on ebay from this guy, the company is global automotive. I used the (BWD) Borg Warner oxygen sensors two years ago and they are still working great! Just Cut the wire and crimp them together, then wrap them in electrical tape or better yet heat shrink! Two months later I also had to replace the Evap cannister, it was Leaking Charcoal in the lines, so also keep that in mind.

Here's the link :

http://search.stores.ebay.com/GLOBAL-AUTOM...0271212QQsofpZ0

Now they're so cheap you can JUST DO ALL 4! MINT!!! Saved ya BIG BUCKS on this one.

Scrool down and find your model. When you put them in don't forget to use anti-seize. "Sparingly on the threads only"

Also I sprayed some PB Blaster on them to help get them out. Kinda Rusted!

Good Luck, if you have any other questions I can help you with send me your phone # and I'll call ya.

Breemania!

Edited by Breemania

Holy Cowfinder those are cheap O2 sensors!!! That may be the find of the year!!

Thanks man! It took some research when I needed mine, I just couldn't believe the cost of these things, CRAZY! Im glad to save some people some cash, there is no reason why these are so much money at the dealer.