'94 Pathy: lift options?

MrPigBC

Hi folks!

So I've been getting different advice on ways to get some lift into my 94 pathfinder (manual trans) but no one person/shop says the same thing.

Suspension: I'm having problems sourcing. Any recommendations?

Body: K, every body-lift kit I find is not compatible. Is there any other kit out there that's adaptable?

I just wanna get ON this now so I can hit the freakin trails again. Many thanks folks!

Lift Options:

1. Add spacers to the rear springs or use replacement springs and crank the torsion bars up front
  2. Replace the front UCA's, and rear springs, crank T-Bars
  3. 2in or 3in body lift
  4. Buy and install a Trailmaster 4in drop bracket lift kit
  5. A combination of the above, such as:
    • 1/2 with 3
    • 1/2 with 4
    • 3 with 4
    • or 1/2 with 3 and 4

Replacement spring options are Lift Springs designed for Pathfinders, front Jeep Grand Cherokee Coils (aka JGCC), Ford Truck Front Coils (both require springs from certain models and year ranges - a search around here with provide a LOT of info on this option)

Aftermarket UCA (Upper Control Arms) options are Rough Country/Superlift, AC, Calmini. (note that with the exception of the 4in lift above all front lift is achieved by cranking the torsion bars) *Installing replacement UCA's correct ball joint angles (excluding AC arms) and assist in getting proper alignment once the lift is installed.*

Body Lift kits are from Trailmaster (if they are still sold under that brand) and Performance Accessories. If you buy a kit from AC then you are getting a PA kit with the proper replacement bolts included. Older Pathfinders do not need these "special" bolts.

My recommendations?

• Suspension:
    • Rough Country UCA's, JGCC (Ford coils if you want a stiffer ride, higher load carrying capacity)

• Body lift/Drop Bracket Lift
    • This depends on your preference and needs, explain further what you want to do with your truck, along with the size of tire you wish to run and how much you want to spend, then we can better advise

The TM 4in lift is not only costly, but it also requires additional changes that the others typically do not "require".

You can also install after market Torsion bars, such as those from Sway-a-Way, though this is not always needed unless you are going to be bolting on a lot of extra weight to the front of your truck, and even then it's not always needed.

It is also recommended that you beef up the steering when you lift the front end, as with just about any IFS system, that is the weak link in our trucks once lifted :togo:

Or you can go all the way and SAS (Solid Axle Swap) it, this involves cutting out the entire front suspension and drive components and replacing it with a solid axle from another truck. If you look around you will find a lot of info on this as well, along with a truck or two currently in the works!

• Like 1

Couldn't have said it better than that. :clap:

Take a look around www.4x4parts.com (also referred to as AC, automotive customizers) The 3" body lift is $120. Like Red asked, what features exactly are you looking for? If you simply want bigger tires without much change in ride characteristics, body lift is way to go. If you want some useful vertical height, suspension is for you. Most people opt to combine the 2 kinds of lifts and after that, have a pretty capable rig.

PS: welcome to NPORA my fellow BCer! Post an intro in the introductions section with pics of the 'Finder!

• 6 years later...

I'm hoping you guys can advise me if I'm going in the right direction. I recently took my 94 Nissan Pathfinder 4x4 to a local lift shop. He told me the torsion bars are already cranked to the max and he can not find any kits to match my truck. Someone told me that Rough Country has a kit for a Nissan D21 Hardbody truck that will fit my Nissan. The kit includes New Upper control arms, rear shackles and 4 new shocks. Will this kit be helpful in achieving the 2inch suspension lift that I am seeking, or is this a dead end? My goal is to put 16" x 8" wheels and the largest tire I can fit without rub.

The rear on pathy is coil sprung...no shackles used, thus it will not work with hardbody lift. As for max crank on torsion bars, look at the upper bumpstops on the IFS, if the torsion bars are cranked all the way up, you will be riding on, or nearly on the bumpstops.

Edited by ebayfish

Thanks guys. I'm new to this stuff and really appreciate your advise. I got a lot of info from the after market list and found the kits I need. Have know clue where to find the JGC kit or even what the acronym means. Would you shed some light on the newbie. Im about to spend almost a grand on a Calmini kit.

"JGC"=Jeep Grand Cherokee, I'm on my phone and being lazy or I'd link you to one of the threads on how this works (basicly a certain set of front coils from a V8 Grand Cherokee used as rear coils in a wd21). Rough Country arms can be bought seperatly from the kit last I checked (call and give some BS story about an accident or something) but they actually don't provide lift, just correct ball joint angle so you can align the front end after cranking the torsion bars. Speaking of torsion bars, there's a thread on here about re-indexing them as well :aok:

Thanks guys. I'm new to this stuff and really appreciate your advise. I got a lot of info from the after market list and found the kits I need. Have know clue where to find the JGC kit or even what the acronym means. Would you shed some light on the newbie. Im about to spend almost a grand on a Calmini kit.

I also offer rear spring spacers for your truck. Click on on my signature or check us out at 4x4design.com

Cheers.

S.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Great thread but any insight on which JGC springs to look for? Just picked my pathfinder up yesterday but she rides a lil squishy. could use some good shocks too.

I would recommend the 93-98 inline-6 front coils over the V8's. I have the V8 springs in my Pathfinder and they are very stiff. Keep in mind that my Pathfinder always has 220LBS. of recovery gear + 100 lb. dog back there. Even with a full tank of gas it is very stiff.

Thats just my thoughts on it.

:lol: amazing how opinions can vary... I have the V8 coils and I don't really find them to be to stiff at all.

But it seems like the V6 coils, back when all of this was being figured out, were found to not support the tail end of a WD21 and still provide lift. :shrug:

Oh and the Ford springs were always considered to be the "stiff" option.

• 1 month later...

on 4x4 parts the price for the three inch is cheaper than the two inch. what is the difference? Probably going to add the two inch to my my 94, already have three in suspension.

• 2 months later...