bad frame....

edicer2

Like the title says i got the bad news when i was poking around under the pathy. I noticed a small hole so i poked it with a screw driver and found out the frame behind the passenger rear tire is shot. Heres a few pictures i got. What do you guys think? me and a freind are thinking about cutting it and making a new frame and whelding on a new part back there. will it work? The fram from the back of the tire all the way to the back of the frame is completly rusty. (This is the play place i can find where there is rush i checked everywhere else i can get at.)

img043.jpg

img044.jpg

img045.jpg

or if you guys dont think that will work do i have any other options? i have access to alot of tools my freind owns a body shop but i figured i would ask here first.

Edited by edicer2

eee that's pretty bad. It doesn't look like much for that body mount to hold on to. If the inside side of the frame is still solid, you might be able to work off that, but it doesn't look too good

high carbon steel, and a lot of water/salt/general crap spraying up and in there. If they aren't sprayed out RELIGIOUSLY, they start to rust. Once they start, it's very hard to stop it.

The earlier ones don't seem to be as bad. I've seen some 2 doors around here with nearly mint frames. :shrug:

On my 95 the frame was much worse than that...My 91 was about the same..I wrapped the frame and welded in all new stocl ad it came out to be pretty strong...strong enough to tow my boat(25ft walkaround about 8000lbs dry and empty tanks) and a few other trailers around. I post pics if wanted of before and after.

Yep,

Always nice to see how to keep our pathies on the road longer.

My parts 95 is like rice paper back there... leaned down and brushed against the driver rocker panel and it completely fell off;

Mostly paint and rust holding it together.

I POR-15'd the frame on my current pathy, and have a 6ft. copper tube that I run 120psi thru do blow all the crap out of my frame rails, damn rustproofing (factory?) on the inside of my frame peels of and blocks the drainholes (along with mud and rocks)

Good luck!

On my 95 the frame was much worse than that...My 91 was about the same..I wrapped the frame and welded in all new stocl ad it came out to be pretty strong...strong enough to tow my boat(25ft walkaround about 8000lbs dry and empty tanks) and a few other trailers around. I post pics if wanted of before and after.

definitely. please do.

Shoot, you're in Minnesota. Out here in CA, we have perfect frames we're trying to give away!

Root cause is road salting. The corrosion protection treatments applied by many automakers were just not tough enough to withstand it. Toyota, Nissan, Ford, Chevy, Dodge, etc etc etc have all been accused of making "substandard" vehicles that eventually rust out in the midwest and other areas that salt. Bottom line: The most affected are those vehicle built so well that they stay on the road for more than 10 years. The really shi$$y cars that end up in junkyards within 10 years rarely show these problems.

Yeah you should definantly post up some pictures! So i have a reference. Thanks for the help guys im going to have to spray it alot more then i already do i think it rusted our really fast last winter so im going to have to try and stop it before its tolate and get that frame beefed up.

The ones of the rotted is the 95...Unrepairable!!!(sorry pics arent good came from phone....the frame was repaired at one point before I got it. the axle actually fell out as i was drivign it up my driveway to the garage to take parts off of it.

The ones of eth frame fixed is the 91..repaired...I'll take more of the repair later(I have to clean the mud off of it)

http://s22.photobucket.com/albums/b309/racersk66/

Edited by 91PathSE

• 4 years later...

Only pic of mine post fix.

58570_158038647545796_3577624_n.jpg

You can fix it. If you want me too fix both sides I will for $400.

Note, this was a quick fix too keep it from completely twisting the frame. I drove it for 2 years with NO support there and it only flexed when it was on a lift.

Edited by nismothunder

• 4 weeks later...

kind of bad pics and i need to coat them with some better paint just through that on there so it wasnt bare metal poked through a bit ill fix it later this summer i got some other stuff i need to fix too.... used thick metal L shape plates custom made by my shop.

2013-05-14_21-01-30_824_zps4b4a941c.jpg2013-05-14_21-01-44_692_zps75b7f5ff.jpg2013-05-14_21-02-10_984_zpsbbd63e73.jpg2013-05-14_21-02-18_67_zps50331cc4.jpg2013-05-14_21-02-28_424_zpsda129ecd.jpg

Edited by edicer2

Everything about this thread makes me physically ill.
Its like watching a news story about advanced Alzheimer's immediately after grandpa has called you Billy for the 5th time in a row.

I know its inevitable, but i don't wanna see my truck go out like this.
I really need to find a Mexican frame...

Tell me that was a stick welder.

Other then that. I'm fine with it. Good job.

I vote for not painting rusty metal.

idk what they used at that shop..i wasnt there when they did it. i am not going to just spray over rusted metal ill sand it off and get it down to bare metal again. It was just bare metal the first time it was painted but i think they put a thin coat on ill clean it all off and primer and rust preventive and then layers of paint and some oil after.