What shocks do you use on your Pathfinder?

zack1978

HI everyone,

After 180,000 miles, I think the shocks on my 1995 SE-V6 Path have hit the end of the road. I have the adj/elec suspension, can I just unhook the wire on the OEM shock and install the new shock? Is there anything else that I need to disconnect? I was thinking about going with the Bilstein shocks, has anyone ever used them? If so how did you like them? Any other good brands that you like?

Thanks,

Zack

Ours has new factory replacement adj. shocks that previous owner had just put on but if I were to change them I'd go with a good ride Gas shock. We don't do much off roading in it and Rancho's stiffin things up to much.

You can get a good deal on Pro-Comp shocks. I have 3000s all the way around. Perfect up front, but a little stiff in the rear unladen. Towing or loaded they would be perfect...

B

Precise, what's a good place to get the Pro Comps? I currently have terrible, terrible shocks and would love some new ones...

Though, after 18 years and 150k miles, should I just overhaul the entire suspension?

I just installed a set of old man emu rear springs and shock set. I haven't had any experience with any other aftermarket shocks to compare, but I must say they are a tremendous improvement. Smooth ride and very good off road in sandy South Jersey conditions.

Doug

I just swapped my Pro Comp ES3000s for Rancho RS9000s. The Pro Comps were a bit too harsh a ride for what I wanted plus I plan on getting an in-cab controller for the Ranchos later on.

The only place to get Pro-Comp shocks is 4wheelparts.com or a 4WheelParts shop. Or Ebay.

Or get a set of take-offs from another NPORA member *hint hint*

jj big shoe, how much stiffer than stock OEM shocks are the pro comps? My current setup rides like I have NO shocks... granted I think my mechanic may have used the wrong ones by accident, but it's REAL stiff... only thing I did to muck with it is re-index my t-bar because of sagging *shrugs*

Then again, I have been driving my fiance's Cavalier a lot... so I guess I've gotten used to a car for a bit (hey, it gets better mileage :P )

I'm not sure, but I remember they were much stiffer than what the PO had on there. I've heared they're about the same ride as Rancho 5000's, though. I drive a Corolla for work then we have the big Lexus SUV, so jumping into the Pathy kidney-pounder was quite a different ride until I got the adjustable RS9000's.

• 2 weeks later...

I just put Rancho 9000's on the front. They replaced the Calmini shocks that were corroded and had to be cut out. I can honestly say the ride is much softer now. Looking to do the rears soon.

My truck sees near zero off road time... mainly because PA has @!*% for off roading slots and I have work to do on ole' Sheila before I take her trail running.

I need new shocks... but I don't know what a good set of road shocks would be. THe ones I have now... rides like I have steel tubing instead of shocks. Hard as HELL.

Done some research, but I don't know... looking at the Rancho 9k's or a decent gas adjust shock... just nott sure.

if your rig is stock. 9000's are too long (king has 9k's)......... mini runs the 5000's...... but they are pretty stiff.... i like it, but not everyone does.

Eh, thought 9k's were adjustable? I'm mostly stock... 2 inch lift in the front thanks to the t-bar trick, still searching for affordable JGC coils for the rear.

Just be advised....

My new to me F250 came with Rancho 9K's. They're up for sale so I can get some decent shocks. God, I hate grossly over damped shocks! The compression damping on these is absurd!!! Yes, the 9K's have an adjuster, but it seems to affect only rebound damping - which is great for vehicles used for towing or carrying heavy loads. But I can't adjust the part they screwed up so badly... I'm going to try leaving the rears on for for now, but the fronts have got to go.

• 2 weeks later...

Have Pro-Comp ES3000s on the pathie. Luckily the wife likes and appreciates a stiff ride -- no pun intended -- and the additional road-handling control that comes with the stiff shocks. hehe

Bilsteins are good. I have also heard that the Australian Old Man Emu shocks are the BEST. The current ProComps have over 100,000km on them. Still good, but if I switch and plan to hold on to the vehicle for another couple of years, I'll probably get Old Man Emu shocks, unless advised otherwise.

http://www.rocky-road.com/omeshocks.html

My truck sees near zero off road time... mainly because PA has @!*% for off roading slots

You have to look around theres places around here to wheel. Some private but the owners don't mind as long as you leave the place the same way you found it. And there are some off road parks around(nothing too exciting ex:Slippery Rock Dunes-still somewhere to get dirty though). Get a little northern though(Kennerdale, Meadville-not nesecarly Erie northern) and you will find all kinds of back trails. As for the shock thing, I have Rancho 5k's on the back of my 88 and it rides beyond stiff back there,Procomp 3k's in the front is nice though(I know mix-match is a no-no)