$4+ a gallon - what's your personal solution

Mr. Pickles

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

here in argentina

1 U$s the liter (1000 cms 3)

so to go to work (downton) 7 miles... TAKE THE BUS... (the traffic jams are also a good factor to choose public transportation)

in the afternoon to go to the club or on weekends TAKE THE PATHY ;)

one bus ticket to downtown it´s 0.30 U$s and if you take it between 8.00 AM and 9.00 AM or 17.00 and 19.00 PM you travel like canned sardines...

subway its around 0.25 U$s the ticke too...

gotta get greener :tongue:

Edited by janolopsen

gotta get greener :tongue:

I'm all for saving money, but those "go green" tree huggers ( my uncle is a huge one, hates that my dad and I drive an suv) really piss me off when they shove "TAKE THE BUS" down your throat. I live just outside the city, so there IS NO bus service.

Not directed at you, but I had to put my opinion out there. Everyone lives in different circumstances, so while the bus make work great for them, it doesn't work so well for others. And sure I could buy a little car, but in the winter, they hardly plow the roads here, so most people drive cars in the summer and 4x4's in the winter, because if you drive a little civic here in the winter, and it snows more than 15 cm, you aren't going to work in the morning.

I'm actually looking at getting a SMART car and modifying it to use a 2 stroke lawnmower engine to power a generator, and going pure electric :D

Think about that for a moment; that would be concidered a hybrid, not pure electric.

(Kittamaru @ Jun 6 2008, 12:08 AM) *

I'm actually looking at getting a SMART car and modifying it to use a 2 stroke lawnmower engine to power a generator, and going pure electric biggrin.gif

Think about that for a moment; that would be concidered a hybrid, not pure electric.

Like this :tongue:

IMG_1945.jpg

Technically, it would be pure electric as it's ONLY electric power that moves the vehicle. Where the electrical power comes from is moot point...

Unless, of course, you want to say current battery-powered cars are really coal/oil/nuclear powered cars... *grins slightly*

Well, I moved farther away from work. Living 2 miles from work, I was already driving 23,000 miles a year, what's an extra 30 miles a day? LOL

I did some calculations, at the current Rochester Average ($4.12/Gallon), I would be saving $240/month by driving a vehicle that gets 30 MPG as opposed to the 16 I'm getting in my Pathfinder.

I am looking into a BMW F650GS.

I am looking into a BMW F650GS.

Don't they have a weight limit?

Lets have a 'look good' shot with you and the moped...

All jokes aside, if you really want a 650 enduro, get a Honda XR650L. Way cheaper, totally reliable

any accessories you could want. Otherwise get a street bike, be it cruiser or rocket.

These eurosport bikes confuse me. All they achieve is not being great at anything...

B

I'm lucky that I drive less than 10 miles round trip to work.

I looked at the gas prices back on Maui and I am SOOOOOO glad I'm not living there anymore. $4.54 is the current price and I was driving 35 miles each way to work back then.

Just filled Marvin(93 SE) this mornin..143.9/l, 90-sum bux.. almost 50 km's to and from work. I just slow down, go light on the skinny pedal and use the wife's Olds Acheiva for errands and shtuff. I knew when i got Marvin i was gonna pay thru the nose for fuel, insurance (ICBC crooks) etc. I'll accept it and be on my way..It's worth it to have a decent, capable 4x4 that hauls whatever i throw at it!!

I'm rockin' a Yamaha Razz 50cc scooter

Is that the wierd little twin headlight bugeyed looking thing? I thought it was a cool idea, but was disapointed when I saw how small the motor was. SHEIT, make it a mellow 125cc at least!!

B

Ok, I looked it up... No, thats not what I was thinking. Actually, I wouldn't ride that at gun point. No ego involved, those things are farking death traps!! A mile from work? I'd ride a bike or walk....

Edited by Precise1
I was WRONG!!

I have yet to figure out how Alberta is full of oil but we still have to pay more.

When you figure that out, explain to me why we here in Washington State USA pay more than most of the rest of the country for fuel when when we have at least six refinery's right here on the west side of the mountains P...

You guys are getting great deals down there... we're paying almost $5.5/gallon up here. I have yet to figure out how Alberta is full of oil but we still have to pay more.

I'd like to point out, that there isn't a country in the world that pays more per gallon than the US. The amount of blood and tax money we've spent the last 60 years on our (and yours incidentally) "National Defense" and propping up third world dictators/regimes is fantastic. It's convenient to look at the price at the pump, but not completely accurate. Another example is diesel prices. Some speculate that diesel is being falsely inflated to subsidize the other fuels. Diesel costs much less to refine. Only a tiny amount of Americans use diesel for their commute, but commercial carriers do. Their transportation costs go up, and they pass it on to the customer (retailer). The retailer passes on the cost onto the retail customer. Then you get the inflation. We're not paying at the pump, we're paying EVERYWHERE else.

I'd like to know what we're each paying for every gallon/barrel of oil.

So this is what we are paying here in Merritt this weekend:

Propane: $0.78.9 / l

Regular gas: $1.42.9 / l

Diesel: $1.45 / l

I hope it goes down a bit during the week so I can fill up before my 500 km drive to the Kootneys next week.