Home Remodeling

GrimGreg

• 5 months later...

Wife said no new lawnmower unless new shed appears. Hurricane destroyed last one so here we go. Thanks Home Depot for delivering the correct materials to the house.

DSCF0378.jpg

This will some day be a shed.

Thought if built the skids upside down they would be easier to nail and just flip over afterwards. Unfortunately I was too weak to make the flip.

DSCF0379.jpg

DSCF0382.jpg

New Years day done, time to go watch Bama get beat.

DSCF0384.jpg

Second day God messes with me and makes it rain.

DSCF0390.jpg

Then rubs it in with rainbow.

• 4 months later...

Here's another from a couple years ago. Took one weekend to demo the old bathroom, 3 months to finish the new one :)

Before

100_1183.jpg

100_1182.jpg

100_1181.jpg

AFter Demo

100_1185.jpg

The construction

100_1232.jpg

100_1237.jpg

What a stud

100_1442.jpg

Finished

100_1739.jpg

100_1741.jpg

100_1742.jpg

I just bought a 1967 Serro Scotty Hi-Lander Camper for $500......trying to get as much done before I go back to work (TOUR) I leave this Friday......Mostly painting and adding more modern electric and 12v power.....will add more FINISHED pics as they come in......

Edited by OfftourRoadie96

Now that;s old school. Will you be pulling her with your pathy?

BUT OF COURSE! That's how I got here home......not sure how much it weighs thou, its not mentioned in the title.....I'm guess no more than 1500lbs maybe less...... it's 15ft. long....oven, stove, bathroom, dining area/bed, master bed w/ loft bed above, refrigerator, sink with about a 12gal water supply tank, dual propane tanks, furnace......we're really happy, so far everything seems to work!

IMG_0232.jpg

Edited by OfftourRoadie96

• 9 months later...

I custom made 6 doors in my house and redid the door jams/hinges, they had seen alot of childhood abuse!

Custom only because they were blank door slabs from lowes, and since my house is older, everything was custom fitted by the builders, so they are all wrong sizes, we had to trim down each and every door!

Then we had some work done on our bathrooms (almost complete redo)because we couldn't find a counter to fit in either one, see above.

Then we had tile being put in, so we had to tear out all our baseboards and then after they finished the tile we had to put em back in :S

When I get my HD from my old CPU, I'll have a bunch of pics. I ripped the carpet out and redid the hardwood. Completely redid my den (with a wall replacement to boot!). Next is the kitchen! (i replaced the countertop, but it's e temp one. Looks better then before though!)

Jose

Cool man! My bath remodel is past the halfway mark, I think. I removed all the old tile in the tub area, along with the backer board. Pulled up all the old floor (5 layers with a sub floor in the middle) in the bath and ajoining hallway. Removed the old vanity and the old tub, and I mean old with the tub, 10-6-55 was cast in the bottom. Then I installed the new tub with new drain plumbing (saved the shower valve, it's only 6 years old). Put new tile backer on the walls and tiled the tub walls. Moved to the floor and began tiling it. I left old floor under my toilet as I plan to pull the toilet, remove that flooring and install new tile all in a matter of a few hours to eliminate down time since we only have one toilet.

I have pictures from the begining, and will post them up when all done.

• 1 year later...

Well, I have a few things to add since 2011 has earned the name "The year of the house" (bought it in the end of February).

I'll start with the eave and rafter end repair that consumed most of last month. I knew it was damaged when I bought the house, but it was worse and in more places than I knew. Some was damaged from above also so you couldn't see it until you pulled up the 2 layers of shingles and I wound up repairing almost the entire roof line.

The begining...

036.jpg

038.jpg

044.jpg

047.jpg

B

The middle as it keeps going and going around the entire house...

Everything trimmed, replaced or repaired has 2 coats of primer on it, top and bottom to help stave off any future rot.

105.jpg

108.jpg

130.jpg

And The End with a brand new roof and gutters. While I've learned a lot, I called the pros in to do this. Too bad they installed the wrong color roof... :rolleyes:

Still, not too far off from what we picked and I should be all set for the next 30 years...

183.jpg

181.jpg

Now that i have posted all this, I guess it is more repair than remodel, but I'll post a bunch of that next...

B

• 1 year later...

Had to resurrect this thread once again.

So last year I did some trade. I rebuilt a Land Rover engine and a buch of work on a cheby pickup. In return, I got this...

IMG_0051_zps6b562f42.jpg

10x10 with a 4in concrete floor. I built some shelves and a work bench in it for my wife. Over this week, I added a brick entry from recycled bricks from other projects...

IMG_0052_zps87ef4e48.jpg

Just have to get a masonry blade to trim the sides up and get something to retain it. Letting it settle for a few days then I got to go back and sweep in a little more sand.

One other little project with bricks was a tree surround...

IMG_0053_zps1a277fdf.jpg

Once again, once I have my blade, I may go back and trim the bricks to remove the gaps for a tighter fit. Will it last? I don't care because this cost me nothing really. Everything was reused. I've got 9 more little trees to do.

Ok B, your turn. I know you have been working hard...

Edited by 5523Pathfinder

Nice! Sometimes it is better do do the work you specialize in and trade the value for someone elses skill rather than do it all yourself. No one needs an unemployed machinist though. :sniff:

Kind of like a shipwright in Arizona... :D

I'm sure more experienced people will chime in but this is my input. You don't need a saw blade, just buy a masonry chisel for $10-15. I have a Dasco Pro 3.5" that I used to install a brick patio 20 years ago and still use it for various things. It's not as precise as a saw obviously, but within a few swings of the hammer you'll be able to split, 1/4 or trim corners fairly accurately and it is more versatile. Hopefully you put plastic and sand under the shed bricks or the lawn will work it's way through it (some people like this, but yours seem tightly spaced for that effect. Even still, I recommend splittling bricks to line up the sides, lift the few edge bricks, lay some plastic down that extends past the bricks 3-4" and border it with wood (2x2 redwood or 2x4 pressure treated depending on preference) held in place with 1" lengths of rebar pounded straight down, then fill it all the cracks/borders with play sand. I'd probably fill around the tree as well with the same sand...

Since the shed doesn't have much eve coverage for the door, I recommend putting on trim framing the door and caulking it well. This should keep most run off and wind blown water out, and make sure the inside of the door and frame are painted as well so water doesn't soak in. I have a shed that needs significant repair because this wasn't properly addressed.

Just my 2 cents to help keep it lasting and looking nice. I'll post pictures of what I'm talking aboot by tomorrow. :aok:

B

Hey B, I put down black plastic and sand first. The terrain here is very rocky and I had to dig out a bunch of large rock(one was about the size of two basketballs). I had some extra material laying around to bring my height up properly. Laid my plastic the a sand base. I know it would be nice to have a small rock base under it all, but i didn't want to spend any money and it won't really see a lot of traffic.

Here is the finished product...

IMG_0061_zps15ae53cd.jpg

I was able to get a masonry blade for $10 on clearance at Lowes. Made quick work of the ones that needed trimming. Held the sides in with some pressure treated 1x4 and some stakes. Filled with sand and she's happy. Got two more tree surrounds finished also. Only 7 to go.