VH45 Swap & SAS Update (Merged Threads)

Are you sponsored? how do you find the time and $$$ for this project. Not that I'm complaining, its awesome; I just can't wrap my head around how much work you must put into this. I only wish i could spend countless more hours building my truck. Hats off to you though buddy, you have secured your position amongst the truck gods lol.

Unfortunately I don't have any sponsors. :(

It's funny how I either have money or time but never both. I've been working way overtime the past few weeks to try and get enough money to order everything to finish the rear suspension. But...it doesn't seem to leave me with any time to actually work on it so it's a definite trade off. I hope I don't have to sink a bunch of $$$ into my F250 but the snow and cold weather has made a misfire a lot more apparent. My power steering/hydroboost pump went out last week. Now it's puking coolant...I'm about to trade it in on a different one if the problems continue!

Nothing huge to report as far as progress goes. Just working on a lot of the little odds and ends I've been putting off for awhile.

- Exhaust manifold flanges replaced with V-bands (will make building my exhaust easier later...one finished, one in progress)

- Trying to get my power steering pump mounted which is really proving to be a lot of work. I've got a template finished but I'll either cut it by hand (if I find the time!) or have it laser cut and hope it fits the first time around.

- Starting to think about getting the radiator mounted. The engine isn't too far off from running again.

- 4 of the 6 cage plates (there will be more later) are welded in solid. I can't build the supports until I get seats mounted.

Trying to work on things that don't cost a ton of money until I get all my rear suspension parts.

Since I don't really have a whole lot of new pictures, here's a few showing how it's sitting now. :-)

IMG_4924.jpg

IMG_4925.jpg

IMG_4927.jpg

IMG_4933.jpg

IMG_4942.jpg

IMG_4943.jpg

Thanks for looking.

Edited by tmorgan4

• 2 weeks later...

Unfortunately I haven't made any progress with the Pathfinder because I'm still waiting on my rear suspension parts, so in the mean time I'm working on building my friend a long travel kit for his 2009 Tacoma. I'm building upper and lower arms plus spindles since nobody makes an upgraded 4x4 version. I can't wait to see it finished!!!

IMG_5033.jpg

IMG_5036.jpg

IMG_5038.jpg

Thanks guys!!

Has you friend tried All Pro Offroad, ICON Vehicle Development, Toytec Lifts and some others ? All these guys (and others) make some form of long-travel kit for the Tacoma and FJ Cruiser...

Oh yeah...he used to have a really cool '07 Tacoma with the Total Chaos long travel kit but sold it for some stupid reason. We just wanted to try something different this time around and the spindles for these trucks are notoriously weak and no aftermarket 4x4 compatible spindles are available. I've never really liked the way the uniball connects on the Total Chaos and Camburg arms since they have to use an adapter to bolt up where the ball joint was. This kit will eliminate that. And I like doing this stuff anyway...when it turns out right.

Wow

nice project!

Did you make your table also? I like the setup!

Thanks! Yep we machined the table. It's a cast aluminum jig plate that we were fortunate to have a hookup on drilling all 484 holes on a CNC mill. They were all tapped by hand...though. :sleeping: It's actually supposed to be 24 holes wide and long but by the time the material got squared up we ended up with a 22 x 22. That explains the fixture hanging off the side of the table but it works fine as is.

Thanks! I really do appreciate all the comments. Hopefully I'll get back to working on the Pathfinder again soon.

One arm finished. I completely underestimated the amount of time it would take to weld. I'm going to try and keep track on the next arm but I'm thinking it took at least 10 hours. Probably more.

IMG_5044.jpg

Edited by tmorgan4

One arm finished. I completely underestimated the amount of time it would take to weld. I'm going to try and keep track on the next arm but I'm thinking it took at least 10 hours. Probably more.

I don't know if I would have to patience to do that... but it takes time to do that stuff right, and it looks like you're doing right! Keep up the good work! thumbsup.gif

Thanks! I think it would be REALLY cool to build a long travel IFS R50, but I'm afraid no one would want to pay for it. This stuff adds up so quickly it's ridiculous. By the time you're done buying $150 uniballs, chromoly plate, bushings, getting everything laser cut and machining a jig to build it in you're talking a lot of $$$! If anyone is interested...I'll be glad to talk with them. :aok:

I finally picked up a 14 bolt for the Pathfinder today. I need to get it cleaned up and it's going in very soon!

Edited by tmorgan4

Thanks! I think it would be REALLY cool to build a long travel IFS R50, but I'm afraid no one would want to pay for it. This stuff adds up so quickly it's ridiculous. By the time you're done buying $150 uniballs, chromoly plate, bushings, getting everything laser cut and machining a jig to build it in you're talking a lot of $$! If anyone is interested...I'll be glad to talk with them. :aok:

I finally picked up a 14 bolt for the Pathfinder today. I need to get it cleaned up and it's going in very soon!

Tyler, I am definitely interested. ;)

We should discuss this idea further. :lol:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Is it gonna be A wolf in sheeps clothing?

Its not really an R50 anymore inside; bad ass engine, internal cage acting as frame to the unibody, sas....

If the original body work goes back over it I'm sure it will surprise allot of people when it starts to rip up the ground!

IMG_4819.jpg

Is it gonna be A wolf in sheeps clothing?

Its not really an R50 anymore inside; bad ass engine, internal cage acting as frame to the unibody, sas....

If the original body work goes back over it I'm sure it will surprise allot of people when it starts to rip up the ground!

Thanks for the bump! I didn't realize that the last pictures I posted were so old. A lot has changed since then! The plan is to make it look stock....well.....as stock as possible. I've already got the stock fenders and hood bolted up and it looks GREAT.

No pictures right now because my garage is a mess but I finally have a rear axle. I trussed and rebuilt a 14 bolt and it's in place with a dual triangulated 4-link. Been working on rear shock mounts (practically the rear half of the cage) for past couple days. I have cut out the driver's side wheel well and I'm dreading the sheetmetal work ahead. I have a second set of ORI "struts" on order so I want to be able to bolt them up when they arrive in a few weeks!!!

Recently I've gotten a lot of little stuff finished that I've been dreading. Both headers have V-band flanges welded on, power steering pump bracket is finished, orbital steering valve is connected to the factory steering column under the dash, and a few more bars have been added to the cage.

I'm having a dilemma as to whether I'm going to have rear seats or not. I was planning on it but I just put the rear seat back in and my head (I'm 6'0") is too close to the cage for comfort. The last thing I want to do is knock one of my friends out when we're trying to have fun four wheeling.

A lot of thinking has been put into the front end as well. I decided my 22x14 Fluidyne radiator wasn't as big as I'd like and it's easier to fit a bigger radiator now before the front end was built. I got a 31x19 Ron Davis and it's enormous...almost too big. I'm trying to make it fit.

A few more things are getting re-done for about the 5th time (my transmission crossmember) since I really like the way my rear cross member turned out and the current one will lead to a difficult front driveshaft.

Edited by tmorgan4