VH45 Swap & SAS Update (Merged Threads)

• 4 months later...

About time for another update. :) I started working on it again after a few months of it sitting and I'm finally making progress. Seems like I've been taking 2 steps forward and 3 back with every step so it was finally good to start putting things back together. I've almost run out of things to cut off.

I ended up cutting the frame rails off from the firewall forward. Why not start fresh...right?

IMG_4771.jpg

I removed the entire interior, dash, and everything from the firewall to build a cage.

IMG_4805.jpg

Started off building the main b-pillar hoop a few months back and let it sit so it got a little surface rust. My goal going into this cage was to make a very tight fitting cage that I don't have to worry about hitting my head on. Too many cages I see have bars a few inches from peoples heads and it's not what I wanted. The entire cage has to be pressed into the body of the car to get floor plates under the tubes. I used a socket and a jack to lift the tubes from underneath and hammer a plate in.

I've gained a lot more respect for people who build cages for a living. It's much more difficult and physically demanding than I had ever expected.

IMG_4768-1.jpg

IMG_4770.jpg

IMG_4818.jpg

IMG_4819.jpg

IMG_4821.jpg

The 3-link with a panhard bar got cut off and I'm almost done with the triangulated 4-link. The front end is close to rolling...just need a few more tubes and and the shock mounts. I'm really hoping to have the entire car as a 'roller' here in the next month or so.

Thanks for looking! (And sorry to the folks that I've blown off lately! I've been a little selfish lately and I've been working on this non-stop. I'll be getting back to people soon).

Edited by tmorgan4
  • Like 1

FINALLY!! GOSH DARNIT! Haha. Man, you sir, have created what R50 dreams can only imagine to be...So, what exactly do you plan on doing with this beast when you're done with it? Thats's a question...a big one...

OK...the welds I looked at again, and again, and again...and, man...can I come visit so you can show me a few tips or something! Mine would NEVER look like that! (guess it would help if I had a welder of my own to practice with).

Jose

sexy work man

It'll be nice to see that thing out rolling when it's all done. Maybe if it ever ends up at any bigger events it'll inspire some more talented fabricators to build up an R50 which can only be good for the community.

I appreciate all the positive comments! It's far from finished but it's nice to finally start putting it back together.

I think the only weld you can really see in the pictures is one that I did with my TIG. I'm starting to get the hang of it after a year and really do prefer to use it when I can. I am FAR from a good MIG welder...I don't get how anyone can lay down nice looking welds with them! As much as I would love to say that all the welds on the cage look great I'd be lying out my a$$. There are a few that I'm not very proud of but since they're all in very hard to reach spots they aren't very visible either. :hide:

I really do hope to be able to drive it on the street when it's finished. It will really come down to whether or not I can still get it insured. I finally bought an F250 a month ago so I can tow it if need be (like when I go to Moab) but I don't want to have to load up a trailer to go to a trail 45 minutes away from my house.

More updates will be posted soon!

Edited by tmorgan4

IMG_4819.jpg

Yup, I just nut in my pants & that thing doesn't even have the engine in or running, tranny, axles attatched or rims/tires. I'm gonna have one of those tantric Sting sex orgasms when that b!tch is finished. Thanks Tyler

Wow, nice work. you just keep taking it to the next level. I love that interior cage. I really need to get a bender one day. I want to do a thru dsh style cage also. Oh I want that V8 too.

Yup, I just nut in my pants & that thing doesn't even have the engine in or running, tranny, axles attatched or rims/tires. I'm gonna have one of those tantric Sting sex orgasms when that b!tch is finished. Thanks Tyler

Haha...thanks Boston. The transmission is in and mounted as well as my Atlas! The front axle is almost attached...just need to build the last upper link (parts finally showed up today!) and get my shock mounts laser cut. I'm picking up a rear axle on Friday. It's really getting there.....

Wow, nice work. you just keep taking it to the next level. I love that interior cage. I really need to get a bender one day. I want to do a thru dsh style cage also. Oh I want that V8 too.

Thanks! I wish I had the patience to do a website like yours. I can't count how many times I've been to your site since I got my license and got interested in 4-wheeling. Maybe I should be blaming you.... :tongue:

I went a little crazy cutting my floor to fit the Atlas. I decided there is no reason to have a $4k transfer case dragging over the rocks so my floor is cheaper to replace. I've been thinking of doing new seats anyway (safety issue with the cage) so I really had no good reason not to. The 2x4 tube is the start of the Atlas support/4 link crossmember.

IMG_4848.jpg

IMG_4852.jpg

Edited by tmorgan4

• 2 weeks later...

alexrex20, you are fully aware of the Dispute Resolution section and exactly why it was created...

Let me refresh everyones memory regarding it.

We also ask that discussions involving topics here be kept in this forum and out of the rest of the board. If you feel the need to talk about a subject here with someone who does not have posting privileges or if you do not, then we encourage you to make use of the PM (Private Message) feature of the forum or send it through email.

You have also been asked to abide by that several times and I once again ask you to follow it.

Things have been going really good lately (regarding your past activities), PLEASE don't throw all of that away :beer:

alexrex20 and nissandoms47, both of your recent posts have been hidden for review by the Moderation Team.

I ask BOTH of you to stop the off topic posting that is cluttering up this topic and at times, others.

No further discussion along those lines needs to happen here or anywhere else on the board between the two of you.

After the exchange is reviewed The Moderation Team will contact the two of you, until then please respect the forums and post within the board guidelines.

• 2 weeks later...

Finally got my shock mounts laser cut and tacked in. About time I can set it on the tires again!

IMG_4901.jpg

The tubes up front always look funny in pictures but I swear it looks better in person!!!

IMG_4911.jpg

Holy crap Tyler, I cant get enough of this truck mate. The only thing I don't like is the fact its in the US, I will never have a chance to see this machine in person. Will expect heaps of pics and vids when you have it back in the dirt.

• 4 weeks later...
I think the only weld you can really see in the pictures is one that I did with my TIG. I'm starting to get the hang of it after a year and really do prefer to use it when I can. I am FAR from a good MIG welder...I don't get how anyone can lay down nice looking welds with them! As much as I would love to say that all the welds on the cage look great I'd be lying out my a$$. There are a few that I'm not very proud of but since they're all in very hard to reach spots they aren't very visible either. :hide:

Just go back over the questionable welds with the TIG torch, you ought to be able to pretty up the welds that way. Just only add filler rod if needed.

Edited by GrimGreg

Haha....You think this is Pirate worthy Steven? I always have good intentions of keeping threads updated on multiple sites but somehow that kind of dwindles away as projects go on! The Nissan section is starting to get a little more traffic so I just might have to.

I have actually gone back over MIG welds before with a TIG torch to add some more heat when all I had was a 110V MIG. I may actually have to try it again but it's a long process since the dirty MIG welds really contaminate the tungsten quickly. All the welds I'm ashamed of are tucked far up underneath the dash or under the cowl and probably won't ever be seen but I'd probably sleep better at night if they looked a little better!