VH45 Swap & SAS Update (Merged Threads)

Thanks again for the comments. Really makes all the hard work worth it in the end!

I really decided to put in the full hydro steering while I was doing the engine for a couple reasons.

1) I already had the engine out, and plenty of room to work with. This was VERY nice when I had to weld on the mount for the steering valve onto my cute little car frame.

2) I was planning on going for a solid axle up front sometime in the "near" future, so this gets rid of a whole 'nother step I have to do when the axle goes in. The ram will need to be transferred to the new axle, get some longer hoses to allow some droop of the axle (the ram stays stationary where it is now, it will be moving up and down with the new axle) and make some longer tie rods.

3) Since the engine was out, I had a chance to make a mount for the PSC pump a lot easier than I could have done in the car.

4) The threads on the oil filter housing (where your oil filter screws onto) hit the stock steering box. If this was the only issue then it could have been remedied a whole lot easier than going to a new steering setup.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

That is by far a R50 for the ages... A thousand years from now stories will be told about this legendary machine.

That's almost too much to look at pics... The videos are pure beauty... Truly an ode that impossible is nothing if you apply oneself. Kudos to you Tyler! :aok:

Holy sh!t he did it. I've waited and waited to see this done to one. I can remember the numerous threads about whether or not this was at all possible in an R50 a few years ago (not that I hang around this or other off-road related forums anymore)

Well done Tyler B) Truly an amazing machine and best looking R50 around.

• 1 month later...

I just looked for 5 minutes and couldn't seem to find my old thread about the start of my project. I can't tell if it's gone or I'm just not smart enough to find it.

I can't seem to find another thread that talked about hub to fender measurements (comparing stock to lifted) so it may be my inability to search. Does anyone have a stock measurement from the frame to the ground or from the center of the hub to the front fender?

Not a huge update but the front suspension is almost done. I still need to do the steering and probably pull the engine to do a few things. I've got an Atlas 4-speed on order which should be fun. Then I have to re-do the rear but it should be simple compared to the front. Hope to get it "done" by early summer.

IMG_4579.jpg

IMG_4567.jpg

IMG_4573.jpg

IMG_4583.jpg

IMG_4586.jpg

IMG_4594.jpg

Thanks everyone! Trying to find some motivation to start working on it again. :tongue:

I actually have thought about building a few more of those oils pans (I designed it but didn't weld it) since these VHs only come with front sumps. I had initially modified a factory VH pan and couldnt' get it to stop leaking at the flange. After seeing how much work it takes to build even one of them I can't even imagine doing another. The only time consuming part was welding it since the main body is 1/4" 6061-T6 and the flange is 1/2" in the same material. It's built like a tank so I hope it hold's up.

Thanks everyone! Trying to find some motivation to start working on it again. :tongue:

I actually have thought about building a few more of those oils pans (I designed it but didn't weld it) since these VHs only come with front sumps. I had initially modified a factory VH pan and couldnt' get it to stop leaking at the flange. After seeing how much work it takes to build even one of them I can't even imagine doing another. The only time consuming part was welding it since the main body is 1/4" 6061-T6 and the flange is 1/2" in the same material. It's built like a tank so I hope it hold's up.

one suggestion.. put some armor on it on the driveline side, if you fragg the front u-joint the drive line could go through that aluminum plate like it wasnt there....

are those fox air shocks? i was considering them...

is this going to be a trailer queen or are you planning on driving it to the trails?

I imagine that Tyler is planning on driving it, especially since its his only ride. Unless you've gotten another vehicle that I am un aware of (last I heard you were still riding your bike everywhere-thats gotta suck in a CO winter).

Badassness as well, I can't wait to see the pics from the 1st wheeling adventure!...

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Thanks for bumping this back up. Sometimes I don't always remember to update every site this is on and I haven't posted much about anything new.

I ended up pulling the engine out a couple weekends ago because I'm going back and re-doing everything I wasn't 100% happy with. I've learned a lot since I started this project and a few things needed to be fixed. I'm SICK of leaks and I'm doing everything I can to ensure that I don't leak 1 drop of fluid once this is back together. I re-installed the valve covers with studs, and I'm replacing lots of the hose connections with AN fittings. All of the crappy flexible rubber coolant hoses are being replaced with silicone couplers and stainless hard lines. I'm replacing the rear main seal again (couldn't tell if it was leaking) as well as the two seals on the front of the transmission. The kevlar friction surface on my brand new clutch was soaked in oil but fortunately South Bend is awesome enough to replace the friction material for a lot less than a new clutch.

I got an Atlas 4 speed transfer case and the adapter to bolt it up to our transmission. I've got ARBs and gears for the front and rear axles that I need to install. In fact I've got just about every part I need to build a 14 bolt rear but I don't have an axle yet. :crazy:

Basically I've got a lot of parts sitting in my living room so it's about time to start getting some work done. Here's a boring random pictures from the past few weeks. I hope to have some better updates here in the next couple weeks. Appreciate the interest. :)

IMG_4637.jpg

IMG_4674.jpg

IMG_4677.jpg

IMG_4663.jpg

IMG_4667.jpg

IMG_4693.jpg

IMG_4695.jpg