brush guard

edicer2

Ok im still kind of a newb to the pathfinder so idk if i should have known this wasnt going to work but here is my problem. Yesterday I was at a junk yard and saw a pathfinder with good wheels and brush guard on it. So i asked the guy at the desk how muc he wanted an it was only 150 for tires and 20 for the brush guard. The brush guard needs to be painted it has a little rust but thats an easy fix. What i am having trouble with is it came over of a 94 or 95 because I have a 93 and the dash looked like the newer ones but everything else looked the same as my pathfijnder besides the dash. The one at the junkyard was a xe and I have a se. Well anyways when i got the brush guard back home and was looking at how it going on there it is no where close to fitting. The spot where the two big bolts go on the bottom when the brush guard is pressed all the way up against the bumper they are still no where close to lining up and where those bolts care supposed to go into the holes on the pathfinder it seems like the brush guard is a few inches to wide. Also the little clips that look like they clip onto something in the grill dont even fit through the grill. So what im getting at is the 94-95 body stype that different that the brush guard doesnt fit. I looked at the side it seems to be a grizzly brush guard if that helps.

it looks just like this brush guard i think its the stock one

http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n131/Ca...Metl/brush2.jpg

Thanks for the help let me know what you guys think!

Ok im still kind of a newb to the pathfinder so idk if i should have known this wasnt going to work but here is my problem. Yesterday I was at a junk yard and saw a pathfinder with good wheels and brush guard on it. So i asked the guy at the desk how muc he wanted an it was only 150 for tires and 20 for the brush guard. The brush guard needs to be painted it has a little rust but thats an easy fix. What i am having trouble with is it came over of a 94 or 95 because I have a 93 and the dash looked like the newer ones but everything else looked the same as my pathfijnder besides the dash. The one at the junkyard was a xe and I have a se. Well anyways when i got the brush guard back home and was looking at how it going on there it is no where close to fitting. The spot where the two big bolts go on the bottom when the brush guard is pressed all the way up against the bumper they are still no where close to lining up and where those bolts care supposed to go into the holes on the pathfinder it seems like the brush guard is a few inches to wide. Also the little clips that look like they clip onto something in the grill dont even fit through the grill. So what im getting at is the 94-95 body stype that different that the brush guard doesnt fit. I looked at the side it seems to be a grizzly brush guard if that helps.

it looks just like this brush guard i think its the stock one

http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n131/Ca...Metl/brush2.jpg

Thanks for the help let me know what you guys think!

bro... your paragraph was very difficult to read. i believe that the 93 pathy is the same as the 94-95 pathy. is your bush guard bent slightly? regardless, i am sure a little modification will go along way to help your fitment issue.

hope that helps.

Edited by Coucoui6

bro... your paragraph was very difficult to read. i believe that the 93 pathy is the same as the 94-95 pathy. is your bush guard bent slightly? regardless, i am sure a little modification will go along way to help your fitment issue.

hope that helps.

Yeah sorry I should have spaced it out and checked it for errors I only had 15 mins before I had to be at work so I hurried. As far as it being bent I dont beleive it is it looked fairly straight. ill hold it up to the actual car and get some pictures so you can see what im talking about because it is just no where near fitting. it feels like it is for a completly different truck which confuses me because i watched them take it off of a 94-95 pathfinder.

Edited by edicer2

trunon.gif

Search the archives, there's been discussion of this before. The 94/95 brush guards may not fit earlier trucks without retrofitting. And you may have an earlier bumper fitted.

Edited by GhostPath

I put one off of a 95 on my 87 :shrug: but I think you have to remove the bumper to get it on there then install the bumper...and I had to cut it off of the 95 to get it off and had a hard time getting the main supports through the bumper but they went through with some persuasion

Mine is also bent a little bit..but it's mainly the corner jobie on the drivers side where they or the JY bumped it into something

here is it installed on my 87

whitePathy.jpg

Brush Guard off truck:

2050078_80_full.jpg

hope that helps...I believe it should fit unless there is a difference in the chrome and black bumper which I doubt...

Yeah Im aware of the run ons sorry! Anyways I used to have the chrome bumpers but they were rusty as @!*% so I replaced them with black ones. Ill go take pictures of what im dealing with here. Im going to forwarn you the brush guard is rusty I know so you dont need to rub that in I am going to refinish it.

The 93-95 all have the same bumpers.

92 and older all have the same bumpers.

I bought one used for my 93 (no headlight hoops or hardware) and it didn't quite line up either. The bumper mounts were too wide, I just persuaded them into place and used the mount holes in the grill vents. I swapped the screw with plastic retainer for a nut and bolt. Then the bottoms I used some flat plate and some bolts to make my own mount.

DSC00290.jpg

Need close ups of the mounts, let me know.

I recommend not trying to remove the headlight hoops...you will find that htey are rusted up pretty bad and will probably strip or break a screw...mine was nasty as well even though you cant see that in the pic...

One thing I did notice is you have to change how you open the hood..mine I have ot reach over the top and use the back side of my hand to lift up the release lever

• Like 1

Ok here are the pictures. I was looking at your guys and they seem to mount in the foglight place mine looks like it has a few hooks that go into the grill.... when i have the bent part of the guard pressed into the proper position the bottom bolt holes are to low and to far forward by atleast a few inches. I would have gotten a picture but i couldnt hold it up there and take a picture at the same time I was home alone. Plus I can not figure out how to get the mounts that looks like they go into the grill to fit there are no places for them to attach to besides the plastic grill and they dont even fit into the proper spot. what do you guys think?

post-3117-1211180587_thumb.jpg

post-3117-1211180897_thumb.jpg

Edited by edicer2

Is the Pathy it came off of still in the yard?

I'd go back,measure and see exactly how it was mounted

and the difference between the one in the yard and yours.

Ya never know :shrug:

The brush guard could be off a Toyota or something

and the previous owner "made" it fit.

Lots of strange things turn up at a junk yard.

ok ill get a picture of the front bumper tomorrow! But as for the brush guard it might not be stock but why is it so different it looked like it fit right on to the pathfinder and the pathfinder it was on was a 94 or 95

get a photobucket account...its free so you can link as many pix as you want and they make it easy so you can copy the image tag right on over and paste the whole deal over...

That doesnt look stock but I can see a couple ways to make it work...check the upper mounts but for the lower mounts you could use a spacer block or take the whole thing apart (going to be a PITA) but you could shorten the middle tubes up (could probably be done very carefully with a hacksaw if no better tools are available) then weld grind the "caps" where everything threads in back and weld them back on

:shrug:

hey sorry i forgot to go take pictures and ill look into the photobucket thing. I got an idea on how im going to deal with the lower mounts like you said make a spacer but for the upper ones it looks like it goes in throught the grill and latches onto something so im going back to where i bought it and looking at how it was attached on that one.

I kinda think they forgot to give me a few parts or something because as of right now there is no way that thing will fit on my truck. Also the lower mounts seem like they are too far forward like they are the right height when you hold it up but at the same time it looks as though the rack is shifted forward 3-4 inches so the wholes are no where near each other.

• 4 weeks later...

Hey guys i got a photobucket now. I ended up making some custom mounts to get the brush gaurd to fit and cut off the extra on the bottom also cleaned it up and it turned out great. Let me know what you guys think. Not bad for getting it for 20$ huh?

img038.jpg

img039.jpg

img040.jpg

img041.jpg

img042.jpg

Edited by edicer2

• 2 months later...
Hey guys i got a photobucket now. I ended up making some custom mounts to get the brush gaurd to fit and cut off the extra on the bottom also cleaned it up and it turned out great. Let me know what you guys think. Not bad for getting it for 20$ huh?

Good score,

I just picked up a brush guard, alluminum side steps(same as the ones i use to have) and another hood guard for $100.

Originally i just planned for a sahara bar, but i couldnt pass up that deal. Your pics gave me an idea of what to do for new brackets.. the brush bar was from a '95, and mine is a '95. nothing matched up. (possibly because of my 3'' BL?) So i thank you for the insight.

Now i just have to re-locate those darn foglights

newbullbar.jpg

Edited by SkotZ

• 4 weeks later...

My cool brother found a free bush guard from someone in the paper. Have no idea what it was designed to fit on. He fabricated some brackets and mounted in on the front of my 93. That was 3 or so years ago and it's held up great. Here is a shot from today.

n518847159_1411292_4930.jpg

Edited by keithb7