Jerky stopping motion when coasting down hill? -_-

MadManMike

Hey guys...

this one is going to be hard to explain :)

When I am off the gas peddle, coasting down a hill. My pathy will start doing this strange jerky thing... like my brakes are being tapped on off on off ... If I then push on the break or the accelerator it goes away.

Another but possibly related issue:

my pathy is missing or sputtering now :( At idle, when I first start it up...or when I am at a stoplight it sounds like it misses a couple of times... just a quick vvvrrrrmmmmm blub*sputter*blub vvvrrrrmmmmmm

I have replaced the cap, rotor, sparkplugs, airfilter... with no change. I changed out the timing belt last summer... and I am starting to wonder if these could be something to do with timing?

Any advice on these issues would be of help :)

The following is a rant with all the things wrong with my car.. and really has no relevance to my post above :D

Exhaust leak- getting worse ... I now sound like a clacking 747 .... I know it's bad now because yesterday as I was driving by some one on the sidewalk plugged there ears as I went by...

Starting - After replacing the battery, ignition relays, inhibitor relay and the starter it self ... it still doesn't start 1/4 of the time.... I carry a screw driver that jump starts it rather nicely... good entertainment for passengers

Throttle body - No matter how much I clean it... it still sticks when I go to a stoplight... people keep thinking I am trying to race them... my passengers think I am a lead foot.

Sputtering- explained above

Tranny - all the sudden starting to shift at strange times... (plz... don't let my tranny die :(

meh...

-Mike

Try replacing the coil to fix the sputtering, and spitting. Only $35 at AutoZone.

As for the jerking, I'm assuming you have an auto. It could be the TC is locked up and so the engine is fighting the wheels (kinda like not putting the clutch in to coast with a manual tranny) you might hear the engine lop a little if that is the case.

Try replacing the coil to fix the sputtering, and spitting. Only $35 at AutoZone.

Excuse my ignorance... but what coil are we talking about?

As for the jerking, I'm assuming you have an auto. It could be the TC is locked up and so the engine is fighting the wheels (kinda like not putting the clutch in to coast with a manual tranny) you might hear the engine lop a little if that is the case.

Yeah I do have an auto... and thats exactly what it's like. I think I am going to go get the tranny flushed...

thanks for your help..

-Mike

Throttle body - No matter how much I clean it... it still sticks when I go to a stoplight... people keep thinking I am trying to race them... my passengers think I am a lead foot.

Perhaps the accelerator cable is doing the sticking and not the throttle body.

I've heard of cases where throttle bodies develop this groove in which the valve gets hung up. I think it was in reference to a Toyota engine. This is all hearsay on my part, but I repeat it only to suggest another cause of your sticky throttle.

"ignition coil. I would also try cleaning the MAF sensor and the EGR valve. Check vacuum lines for leaks also."

Cleaned MAF a while back with no change. Not sure about the EGR (I will have to search for a post on how to clean it or where its at) I do hear a whistle... like It sounds like it's coming from my air intake, could that cause it?

Perhaps the accelerator cable is doing the sticking and not the throttle body.

I actually checked that by taking the cables off and it still stuck..

fuel filter?

AT - shift selenoid?

I forgot to check the fuel filter Doh! :stickwack: ....

I have tried to pull codes but get no error.. and I don't get a check engine light...

Thanks for all the great ideas... I will get back to you guys after I do a couple..

-Mike

Edited by MadManMike

• 3 weeks later...

Your a/b (anti-backfire) valve is malfunctioning. Feels like a jerking sensation on deceleration. Leans out mixture on decel if working right. Check to see if it holds vac. I believe that's your problem.