Rings or Valves

unccpathfinder

Well I dove into the pathy a little today and found that cylinder #5 is dead...I know its getting fuel and I know its getting spark so the only thing that leaves is compression...I didn't have a chance to get a compression tester today but I am looking to find no compression in that cylinder...

so that leaves me with a bent/not seating valves, bad rings or head gasket...I'm pretty sure its not the head gasket b/c I'm not getting any fluid mixing although that could be a possibility...so I'm going to do a comp check sometime in the next few weeks pending its results I will pull that heat and inspect the HG and if it looks like the problem I will inspect my valves and do any other corrective work required put it back together and do another comp check and if its still low I guess it would have to be worn rings...

are there any other ways of checking it besides pulling pistons and inspecting everything?

Thanks

yes.. there is, do a compression check on the suspected cylinder. Record the pressures.

Dump about a cap full of oil down each spark plug whole (suspected ones, one at a time) and check the pressue again and if the pressure comes up.. its rings.. if not.. its valves.

Edited by 87pathy

yep checked the plug for spark checked resistance on the plug wire and changed it with the appropriate one from my VG sitting in the garage and tried a new plug as well...shocked the piss out of myself 1 time

You tested the plug and the wire for spark? I had one time a dead plug, weird I know.

That's what I was hoping for...I think I will also pull the VCG to make sure I didnt have a valve spring break b/c if it did as long as it didnt break far enough down to hit the piston I should be good and its not knocking but for sure a compression check is next in line

good luck, hope it is minor...

Thanks...I think almost anything now is minor after what I've been through with this truck...just gives me an excuse to hang out in the garage

B4 all of that happens I have to do an oil pan gasket, RMS, Timing belt (with all the extra's) in my coworker/neighbors Frontier

Edited by unccpathfinder

well I got a compression tester today and everything checked out at like 110-120 psi (need to see what the spec is which I'll do in a lil bit) but after running the compression check it seems that 3 and 5 aren't firing now and its knocking and what not...

So sometime I'm going to check my timing b/c she was knocking kickin and spittin and hard to start after the check...and my gas is really old too (almost 2 years) so that could contribute to it...I think i'll change the plugs inspect/clean/replace the dizzy cap and probably wires and pump some fresh gas into it and see what happens

and thats beautiful...my source for all the nissan FSM's went bye bye...now I gotta find my backup pdf grrr

SONNOFA...does anyone have a copy of the 95 FSM...it's seems that most of my sections have now gone corrupt...this is BS...

NM found another copy...hmm seems a little low for what I'm seeing but I didnt have the accelerator "open" and my battery is a little weak...Guess I"ll check it again later this week

Edited by unccpathfinder

I'm still a firm believer that gas doesn't go bad...but I'm wondering if my tank my have contaminants in it from sitting so long...or maybe in fact after 2 years it does start to go bad...but up until recently I havent had any problems with burning but I still think i'll refresh it and see what happens