VQ's just use oil?

I have taken 100% effort to maintain my VQ and after 2800 miles I am down about 3/4 quart. I have replaced all fluids and filters (ok, well I didn't drop the tranny pan to change that filter), keep up on the K&N intake filter, loc-tite applied to power valve screws, PCV maint including adding an inline filter/catch can....I even add Lucas FI Cleaner every tank!!

I know that Lucas stuff doesn't really clean injectors, or not as much as it lubricates the gas but with my lift (AC), REVO's (265/75) on OE rims, hitch, 3 16lb subs and box I get 13-14 in town all short short trips 5mi or less!

I change my oil/filter when it is dirty...sometimes this is right around 3K sometimes around 4K. This last change I spent extra time making the oil level exactly on the full mark and now I am down about 3/4 quart! I am no speed racer and notice 0 other problems, my truck has just over 52K on it....

...I have come to the conclusion that this engine just plain uses oil more than average. As my wifes 2.4 Alty uses "0" oil and it is at 92K.

PLEAST POST UP IF YOU HAVE SIMILAR RESULTS!!

VQ and VG owners welcome, obviously I am specific to VQ.

I know theres a huge oil consumption problem with G35, and Nissan 350Z which share the same VQ35 basic platform

Very often I see google sponsored ads for class action law suit against nissan for this

Example:

http://nissan350zoilconsumption.com/

Good info:

http://forums.nicoclub.com/zerothread/196502

http://forums.freshalloy.com/showthread.php?p=1325458

I have an 02 VQ with 130 000 km and it loses anywhere from 0.5-2 liters every 6000km depending on how rev happy I get. I found that the only way to get an accurate oil reading is to park in the exact same spot every time and let it sit overnight. I have read that replacing the passenger side valve cover(w/pcv) will help with oil consumption. I am thinking about doing this but I believe it involves taking the intake manifold, fuel rail off to get valve cover out.

Check the oil over a few different times, taking into account all factors, (like engine temperature) and see if you find a consistent pattern of the oil level being low. Checking it once and saying it's low leaves a lot of variables un-accounted for.

Thanks for the comments, I do check my oil every time I get gas at the Shell station. (Always the same 2 pumps) My catch can doesn't have but 1-2 ounces of oil in it....I have been checking the oil hot, not cold--maybe?

Yeah Gost the Lucas seems to increase MPG's but I do not think it is strong enough as a solvent to really clean anything...I leave that to my Shell 93 V-power!

Just for comparison, my VG33 with 140k miles doesnt burn ANY oil at all. I change every 3k and the oil level is always in the same spot as when i finished my last oil change.

I only use Mobil 1 and it seems to be pretty clean when I do my changes... Generally every 6000-8000Km. I found myself adding about a 1/2L after around 5000Km on my last VQ, but this one doesn't burn any, and I'm bouncing it off the rev limiter fairly frequently. Oil is at 6,540Km right now, golden, and on the dipstick in the same spot as when I changed it (full line). This engine has around 80,000Km on it, the last one had 72,000 before I blew it up.

Edited by Orangetang

Yikes. Bet that takes a toll on the wallet from time to time!

..............whew, sure does...but the truck really seems to like it!

I only use Mobil 1 and it seems to be pretty clean when I do my changes... Generally every 6000-8000Km. I found myself adding about a 1/2L after around 5000Km on my last VQ, but this one doesn't burn any, and I'm bouncing it off the rev limiter fairly frequently. Oil is at 6,540Km right now, golden, and on the dipstick in the same spot as when I changed it (full line). This engine has around 80,000Km on it, the last one had 72,000 before I blew it up.

I use mobil one also with a Napa Gold filter (made by WIX), I drive very short stop and go trips so that may help dirty my oil faster....dude your info is great but I haven't a clue about those kms and imperials and all that...can you help me out? :blush:

I generally use a Hastings brand filter, but lately have used a NAPA Gold, and FRAM. Whatever I'm near when I'm buying oil.

Hint: If you use google all the time, (it's my homepage), just type "74000 km to miles" and it will calculate it. I use this all the time...

For instance "1134mm to feet" will give you "1 134 millimeters = 3.72047244 feet"

Google rules.

:crossedwires: Thanks! I will def Google that way, I think I can even to get the work server to allow it !! It likes NPORA, it doesn't filter it out!

Actually, I was schooled on the opposite coast! 1 HR from the Nations wonderful capitol!

It sounds like my VQ may have some ring damage...after 28** miles...4500KM my oil is passed golden brown and is starting to appear dirty...this after I did add about 1/2 liter.

Edited by 02silverpathy

,PCV maint including adding an inline filter/catch can...

What all did you do for the pcv maintenance? From what I understand the passenger valve cover has baffles that lead to the pcv valve. These baffles become plugged with sludge and build-up, causing oil consumption. I have read that attempts to clean the valve cover pcv valve area did not work but the entire replacement of the valve cover has cured oil consumption problems for many people.

Just for comparison, my VG33 with 140k miles doesnt burn ANY oil at all. I change every 3k and the oil level is always in the same spot as when i finished my last oil change.

Same here except my Pathy is running around 170K. 3.75 quarts in and out. I guess the VGs are just that damn good.

PCV maint....

I actually popped off the PCV valve---however it un screws from the valve cover! So, that being said I unscrewed the rest of it and then proceeded to clean the hard (read rock hard) carbon that was built up on the valve...causing its failure. After the EXPENSIVE plastic pcv was clean I snapped the 2 pieces back together and screwed it back into the valve cover...from the looks of the parts assembly it cannot survive being popped apart more than once or twice!!

I had purchased, from AutoZone, a replacement that would not fit into the V-cover without some type of grommet as it was a pressure fit style, not screw type. I had also picked up , from the wall--o--fuel filters, a small fuel filter that is cloudy clear plastic with a small round filter media in it looking like a mini oil filter in a plastci jar! This filter has inlet and outlet on top and is about 3 inches deep, and 3 inches diameter...I added this in-line to make a $4, filtered, catch can! Super sweet!

The hose for the PCV runs around the back of the intake and gets its vac. from under the throttle body, using a zinc color metal tubing. I removed this and ran fuel hose in the same route, adding some extra so that I can access the filter/catch can when I want to change it...the hose is strong enough to suspend the filter without having to attach it.

In the 6K it has been on the truck it has caught about 2-3 ounces of oil, with most of them being in the first 1000 miles after installation...this may be the broken down sludge that was in the baffle??

***************To do any of this I did have to remove the upper and lower intake manifolds, but not the bottom most part that the fuel rail is attached to. The Nissan OEM gaskets are of super high quality, they are covered in a heavy plastic/rubber compound making a perfect seal over and over, that is if you don't bend the gaskets up!********

PLEAST POST UP IF YOU HAVE SIMILAR RESULTS!!

Normally I change my oil and filter every 3k miles. I put in 5 quarts. Typically I have to add another quart before the next oil change. This doesn't strike me as particularly bad, but maybe I grew up not expecting any better from an engine.

I wish I could be more precise about the numbers, but my usage pattern has been too inconsistent. My last oil change was after only 1043 miles, but that was after 9 months. Since the last 2.5 years, we hardly drive it at all: it sits undriven for up to 3 weeks; I'll go up to 4 months between fill-ups (I have to spend extra on fuel stabilizer). The type of miles I drive are mostly short local trips, with an occasional long road trip.

Some more relevant info: I have 51000 miles on the odometer. I use 5W30 as recommended. I use whichever national brand oil has a rebate going on. I don't use synthetic. I've been using Purolator or Fram filters (it uses the same filter as my wife's Accord, how lucky is that?!) I don't tow anything. I don't go off-road regularly (maybe 1-2 times a year). I am not Speed Racer all the time, though I have nothing against hovering around the redline for a few seconds.

Edited by IncidentalOffroader

My 02LE has ~112k kms (70k miles). Hardly uses any oil at all. I note it seems to get dirty faster than I thought it might, but it is used primarily around the city on short trips (this is the family vehicle my wife drives it mostly).

Other than me loc-titing the power valve screws (some of you may have seen my post here on that) the engine has not been apart that I know of.

I do notice that not being exactly on level ground makes a big difference in checking oil level. My lane is a slight incline and the oil always appear low (facing downhill), but I check it at the shop before I change the oil and it has not been lower than like 7/8s of full yet - and I never over fill.

Is it possible that the trick oil catch can you have installed in your PCV line is ading a back pressure that the engine doesn't like?

Have you done a compression test to see if it is rings or valves or neither?

Are you using synthetic?

Some engines simply use a bit more oil. As long as your plugs are not fouling, I would not worry too much about it unless it gets worse.

Edited by BowTied

• 5 months later...

I was wondering if I had a problem with oil consumption on an '03 Pathfinder I recently bought. Mileage is 87,000.

In researching this, I came across a thread at NissanHelp . Andre's explanation gave me hope, "Could it be this easy?!".

However, I could not get past the fact that this cover costs almost $200 from my dealer. I have since found it at nissanpartsdirect.com for much less. Regardless, I had to find out what breaks in the cover to cause the consumption. Andre said oil gets trapped in the baffles, but why??

After several hours of studying this today and making a valiant effort to clean my cover, I figured it out.

If you're interested, swing over to Nissan Pathfinder Oil Consumption for my write-up.

coppcar

post #1 and glad to be here.

I have 135300 on mine with about 7000 miles on mobile 1 extended performance for up 15000 miles, and still reading full on the last time that I filled up. I'll usually change it about every 8000 miles to 10000 miles.

David

Great write up!

What oil weight is everyone using? I have thought about switching to the M1 0 weight (in the green/silver bottle), but don't want to get too light any thoughts here??

***On my trip south (about 600 miles each way) I observed that at about 18-1900 miles on this oil change it used 1/4 quart. I filled it back up and now at just over 3000 have not noticed any measureable consumption, however it has used some---my best guess is that this is approximately 1/2 quart every 3K.***