question about oil filter access with front skid plate

FUELER

I want to install my 4x4parts front skid plate but I have a question

I don't want to deal with removing this thing every oil change

What do you guys think of drilling a small hole in the skid plate, like 4" or 4.5 " in diameter (big enough for my hand and oil filter to fit through)??

Does that kill the whole idea/integrity of a skid plate??

thanks in advance

What do you guys think of drilling a small hole in the skid plate, like 4" or 4.5 " in diameter (big enough for my hand and oil filter to fit through)??

thanks in advance

Sounds to me like youd kill the whole point since you just added a place for it to get caught up on...id just take it off every time

thanks in advance

I have a hole drilled in my skid plate for the oil filter. I have had no problems despite bouncing/skidding on nasty rocks. My skids are 3/16" thick. I might not do it with a thinner metal.

When I do mine, I loosen the drivers side rear-most as much as I can while allowing it to still grab the threads and remove the other 3 (2 fronts and passenger rear) and then support the whole thing with my jack. Then I pivot the whole thing around the one bolt that's still holding the skid on enough to access the filter and allow it to drain while still supporting the skid on the jack.

Works great :aok:

Easier said than done... we picked one up... there's no damn room!!

True.....although...

During the last oil change I did on Pezzy's truck, I looked at where the issue is. It's the bracket for the PS pump that's in the way. I might be able to modify it to be able to put the relocation kit in.

i cut a rectangular piece about 4"x6" and then braced the inside by welding flat bar around the inside of the hole. I then made a hinge out of a piece of pipe and a round bar. At the top I drilled a hole through the door and welded a nut onto the back side of the flat bar. I think my little access door turned out pretty strong. The flat bar welded around the perimeter of the hole prevents the door from being pushed in. I'll post pics if I get my truck back today

i cut a rectangular piece about 4"x6" and then braced the inside by welding flat bar around the inside of the hole. I then made a hinge out of a piece of pipe and a round bar. At the top I drilled a hole through the door and welded a nut onto the back side of the flat bar. I think my little access door turned out pretty strong. The flat bar welded around the perimeter of the hole prevents the door from being pushed in. I'll post pics if I get my truck back today

Ding, Ding, Ding, Ding That's a winner. Make sure to prime real good for future rust.

• 2 months later...

Wow that looks goood but quite some work involved.

Ive had this skid plate laying around for three months now and still havent installed it cause of this stupid design, not being able to do oil changes efficiently

I might go have something similar fabbed up, what did you use to cut it?

If I ever hit anything hard enough to shear that bolt head off, then the bolt head is the least of my problems. I would be more concerned with knocking the entire door through. I don't do a lot of rock crawling and try to avoid impact with the skidplates. I use the plates more for protection than as a tool to skid over obstacles. I do agree that they are probably weaker than one without a door but I like having an oil filter access.

If I ever hit anything hard enough to shear that bolt head off, then the bolt head is the least of my problems. I would be more concerned with knocking the entire door through. I don't do a lot of rock crawling and try to avoid impact with the skidplates. I use the plates more for protection than as a tool to skid over obstacles. I do agree that they are probably weaker than one without a door but I like having an oil filter access.

Hey thats pretty cool.

Just a suggestion, why not make a larger door using the same hinge design? What would it hurt? Maybe a 12" x 12". This would give you much more room for accesability.