Continually dying pathy. What to do?!

zeppelindrummer

Once again, the wonderful pathy decides to be difficult... i feel kinda like a bad parent... my car keeps having things wrong with it...

anyway...

about 3 days, and 80 or so miles onto the pathy after all of the cooling issues were resolved, the pathfinder decides to start dying... alot! while idling... and once while driving. The engine just kinda turns off as if i were to turn the key. it usually starts right back up (except when it wont start at all... the starter just goes, but the engine doesnt make a sound, or try to turn over or anything), but it doesnt want to stay running, this has happened mostly today, and yesterday.

So... where to start?

I'm going to be replacing the spark plugs this weekend... but i really dont know what else to check or change? could it possibly be a fuel pump issue or something with the fuel line?

I'm thinking since i haven't really done a full tune up on the pathy ever, that i'm going to do some maintenance and get some new stuff in it.

Since i bought my pathfinder, the starter, radiator, one of the hoses for the radiator, the thermostat, the battery, and the tires have been replaced.... what else should i change to hopefully keep the pathy as reliable as it once was...

Timing belt?

Change my brake, and tranny fluids?

(change the oil regularly, and have flushed the radiator twice)

anything else?

any ideas on what else to look for to hopefully fix the dying pathy problem?

Thanks in advance everyone!

Sorry about your luck we have all been there at one time or another.....

You didn't mention vehicle details/mileage, sorry I missed your other post.

Fuel pump was my first thought as I started reading your post. Next time it stalls, turn the key on without starting wait 2 seconds and turn key off, repeat twice. If it starts and runs for at least a little bit, it could be the fuel pump (or regulator?). I assume it doesn't sputter when it dies? It could also be a plugged up fuel filter, I would replace that regardless if you are not certain how old it is.

Are you getting a check engine light? If so what are the codes?

check as mentioned above...also check the + lead from the starter to the battery...I had an issue where it rubbed through and my truck would start and drive and then studder/kill out and then crank right up...until it finally arced for good and melted the battery which was some scary @!*% and I'm glad my fast acting saved the truck but i'm lucky I didnt get the piss shocked out of me

Sorry about your luck we have all been there at one time or another.....

You didn't mention vehicle details/mileage, sorry I missed your other post.

Sorry! ummmm, its an 87 manual with 185,XXX miles.

I assume it doesn't sputter when it dies? It could also be a plugged up fuel filter, I would replace that regardless if you are not certain how old it is.

Nope.. no sputter, it just is pretty much the same as me turning off the engine with the key.

i was thinking fuel filter too... it just doesn't seem to be getting the fuel. and yeah, i don't have a clue of the age of that

Are you getting a check engine light? If so what are the codes?

i'm thinking that i have no check engine light... at least at the moment, i haven't ever seen it turn on, my fuel, temp, and oil gauges don't work though, so thats the problem... i have the stuff to fix my instrument panel though, just haven't got around to it yet... my dad said he'll help me with it this weekend

check as mentioned above...also check the + lead from the starter to the battery... i'm lucky I didnt get the piss shocked out of me

ahhh!!! i'll definitely give that a look tomorrow. its pretty wet outside too... snowing as we speak, but not cold enough to stick... so its just kinda flooding all over the neighborhood.

I had an old Pontiac that would quick like that when it over heated... if your gauges are out or order, do you know for sure you are not overheating? I doubt that is it, just thinking outloud.

With an older truck with that many miles, it could be a few things.

Does it do this more when it is raining/wet? Check plug wires for cracks (bend the wire and look closely). Look also for corrosion/worn distributor / rotor.

Check also that the 12V supply wire to your distributor /coil is in good condition.

At this age of vehicle it may be prudent to check important wires, hose clamps and bolts front to back for reliability's sake....

I had an old Pontiac that would quick like that when it over heated... if your gauges are out or order, do you know for sure you are not overheating? I doubt that is it, just thinking outloud.

With an older truck with that many miles, it could be a few things.

Does it do this more when it is raining/wet? Check plug wires for cracks (bend the wire and look closely). Look also for corrosion/worn distributor / rotor.

Check also that the 12V supply wire to your distributor /coil is in good condition.

At this age of vehicle it may be prudent to check important wires, hose clamps and bolts front to back for reliability's sake....

before when nothing was ever really wrong with the car, if it had rained all night, or had a real wet snow, starting the pathy in the morning would take a little bit of time. pumping the gas, and holding the key til it would finally turn over and start, and i'd then have to let it warm up before it would drive without dying... but it wasn't a big deal.. and i'd know it was coming.

Today though, with the wet, it seemed to to die extra... (in comparison to what its been doing)

i'll definitely do a full wire check when i open up the hood this weekend...

Colorado is crazy! 80 degrees yesterday, i was in shorts and flip flops... today its snowing, and it'll be snowing through til morning, but it'll be hot and sunny in the afternoon.

probably be lookin at a really warm weekend too!

before when nothing was ever really wrong with the car, if it had rained all night, or had a real wet snow, starting the pathy in the morning would take a little bit of time. pumping the gas, and holding the key til it would finally turn over and start, and i'd then have to let it warm up before it would drive without dying... but it wasn't a big deal.. and i'd know it was coming.

Today though, with the wet, it seemed to to die extra... (in comparison to what its been doing)

Yup ok, I am thinking a cap rotor and wires are in order and that will solve the problem.... I would also bet the plugs are the same age and I'd suggest doing those too. Let us know if that fixed the problem...

Fuisable links might do that, too. Mine cut out when I took a left turn once because the battery shifted and pulled the old, corroded wires away from the connector. Try wiggling the wires and connector on the positive battery cable near the post while its running and see if they're secure.

Damn thing died again on me yesterday, and it was warm... i was beginning to think it was only happening when it was cold, but for the first time, it just died when i was driving down the street... and it was 65 or 70 out! I couldn't get it started this time either, so i had to walk... after a couple hours i got it started.

-when i was turning the key and the starter was going, nothing was turning over or making any sounds at all, and it smelled kinda like a lawn mower/gas?

so i'm not sure...

its the weekend though, so i'll be having a look at it, and hopefully getting something accomplished. I'll let you all know!

thanks for all the help guys!

Okay, i think everything should be okay.... Replaced the plugs. they were all pretty nasty and burnt looking, idk if that means anything, but i put some new bosch platinums. I also replaced the fuel filter.. just cuz.

When i first started this morning, one of the wires going into the distributor cap wasn't even on, it was kinda just sitting there, male inside the female, but nothing attached or "clicked" into place... it was just there (not one from the spark plugs, but the 7th one, that leads out)

I'm hoping that was the problem, but only time will tell. I've driven a bit since everything has been replaced and it seems to run and idle better than it has before. So regardless of this fixing the problem or not.... ive got new plugs and a new fuel filter!

If it starts doing it again, i'll come back to the drawing boards!

wasn't the issue... i'm about to cry.

Thought the car was doing okay, but it died on me again about a week ago, took it into the shop to see if they could figure it out... but nope.

After they drove it 100 miles it died on them once, and they don't know what to do...

I was told to just drive it until it dies more consistently. on my way to lunch about 2 miles away from the shop the damn thing died on me again.

What am i supposed to do?? just keep driving the car, hoping it wont die, and leave me stranded???

Not very comforting....

What do you guys think?

Ok, I skimmed through this thread and I see that it's worse when its been raining/humid? Our 89 mazda 929 used to do that, you could see the arcing on the distributor cap.

What have you replaced so far other than the plugs/fuel filter? I'd change the wires, cap & rotor as well, if you haven't already.

Also, this may be a longshot, but try getting some of that ignition drying stuff that comes in a can, that would "temporarily" allow our mazda to start for a while before I changed the parts.

I'd change the wires, cap & rotor as well, if you haven't already.

Also, this may be a longshot, ...

x2 on the new wires, cap & rotor. They are definitely items that wear out and are part of a routine tune-up.

Here's another longshot: Since you say the car dies as if you turned the key off, maybe your ignition key switch is flaky. It's not improbable, since people tend to hang a lot of stuff off their keychains, and that can't be good for the longevity of the ignition switch. A quick check would be to start the car, tap and jiggle the key, whap around where the ignition switch is mounted, and generally try and get the car to shut off without actually turning the key off. Since the problem you describe is so random, we're hoping all you need is to disturb it a little to repeat the fault. A longshot I know, but it's simple enough to try anyways.

Mine was doing that too it's actually in the shop right now getting a motor vac. Mine ended up being a bad fuel filter and a clogged injector, so it kept dipping down to like 250 rpm at idle and then dying. If you do a tune up check if all the fuel injectors are working my friends dad is a mechanic and said pathys are notorious for injectors going bad.

I replaced the plug wires today, and my friends dad was telling me it was happening with his tahoe, because he had corrosive buildup around some of his wires coming off of the battery, i had quite a bit in a few places, and i had already bought a can of battery corrosion cleaner/spray stuff... so i cleaned those all off after replacing the plug wires. I drove alot today, and nothing happened... but it is completely random when it dies, so we'll see if that fixed the problem!

if not, i'll be replacing the coil and dis. cap..

thanks for all of the help guys!

Alright, thanks guys! i'll check the other connections tomorrow, it has been running very good and i've had no problems since i replaced the plug wires. I've done quite a bit of driving, short, long, hot cold, and the pathy seems to be doing great once again!

Thanks for all the help guys!

Glad to hear its running good again. :aok:

You'll probably notice its more peppy and gets better mileage. Well, at least peppy and efficient for a pathy

Glad to hear its running good again. :aok:

You'll probably notice its more peppy and gets better mileage. Well, at least peppy and efficient for a pathy

It really does! giving a guy a ride home from work today actually, he was like, "Damn, this things got some balls" when i had to turn onto a busy street. :) made me feel good! haha

Edited by zeppelindrummer