How many miles can I get on my engine/trans?

sigtauenus

I'm talking original engine, original transmission, regular maintenance like belts, struts, brakes, etc ok.

I'm at 165,000 on my 98. I'm contemplating sinking some money into it to fix it up, and the deciding factor will really come down to how much more longevity I can realistically get out of this thing before having to spend some big dollars on expensive overhauls.

Who has the most miles on their Pathfinder?

I'm talking original engine, original transmission, regular maintenance like belts, struts, brakes, etc ok.

I'm at 165,000 on my 98. I'm contemplating sinking some money into it to fix it up, and the deciding factor will really come down to how much more longevity I can realistically get out of this thing before having to spend some big dollars on expensive overhauls.

Who has the most miles on their Pathfinder?

How long the drivetrain will last really depends on the frequency of preventive maintenance performed on it. Obviously, if you only change your oil every 30,000 miles, then it probably won't last as long as an engine that's had new oil every 3000-5000. If you've never changed the tranny fluid before, don't expect too much more life out of it.

However, with proper and regular preventive maintenance, the VG33 engine should last well over 200K miles, and the tranny should also live a long life.

Myself, my '97 LE has about 158K miles on it, and I don't expect to repair or replace major drivetrain components for quite a while, since I take good care of my vehicles.

If it's well taken care of and not abused, you should see closer to 300k in my opinion.

But i'm an optimist. We had a Toyota pickup truck in the family that did over 300k with only oil changes! We sold it to some landscapers, still running! Japanese engines are great!

The only difference is the Toyota was chain driven while the nissan is on a belt. We are susceptible to that belt breaking and prematurely killing the engine.

Edited by FUELER

I am at 140,000 and going strong. Orignal Trans, engine, diffs, ect.... All maintnace done on time or early. Oil changed every 2500-3000 miles, trans flushed and filtered every 30,000 along with all 4x4 related fluid changes Every 30,000. I also go a little beyond and flush the brakes about once a year and flush the power steering fluid every 30,000 also. I have complete trust in my pathy and It wouldent bother me to go across country with it. I believe as long as you keep up on the maintnace you will get 250,000 + before anything MAJOR goes out on a Pathfinder.

I'm sittin at 187K+ & I'm still goin' strong, but the oil is changed every 2500-3000 miles & tranny fluid is done on a regualr basis as well (of course not like the oil b/c thats just CRAZY!)

...sorry I just wanted to yell something...

I am at 140,000 and going strong. Orignal Trans, engine, diffs, ect.... All maintnace done on time or early. Oil changed every 2500-3000 miles, trans flushed and filtered every 30,000 along with all 4x4 related fluid changes Every 30,000. I also go a little beyond and flush the brakes about once a year and flush the power steering fluid every 30,000 also. I have complete trust in my pathy and It wouldent bother me to go across country with it. I believe as long as you keep up on the maintnace you will get 250,000 + before anything MAJOR goes out on a Pathfinder.

Transmission Flush/change every 30,000 miles? Im all about preventitive maintanance, but is that a little to early, or what is factory recommended? I guess I need to pull out my manual, Ive just always went off the every 60k rule with all my vehicles concerning trans service.

Im at 60k now, and I hope I havent over extended the trany.

Transmission Flush/change every 30,000 miles? Im all about preventitive maintanance, but is that a little to early, or what is factory recommended? I guess I need to pull out my manual, Ive just always went off the every 60k rule with all my vehicles concerning trans service.

Ive never heard of anything less then 60k for tranny service...I hope mine was done but Im doing ALL fluids this summer and doing full synthetic on everything i can...Mine is at 115k with me having no knowledge of how the previous owner(s) treated this truck, but it runs strong and the transmission is nice and smooth except when cold.

As a side note, do any of you believe in adding those tranny stabilizer fluids in your tranny? Ive been considering it since they arent that much...

I am just following what the previous owners maintnance practices. I have all reciepts from the local dealer here for everything done to my rig. Everything was always done on a 30,000 mile schedual. so I am going to stick with that. + changing them more often is cheaper insurance. I also tend to pull about 4,000 lbs distances of about 400 miles round trip about once a month in the summer, so I am a bit harder on equipment than most.

If you are towing, then absolutely 30,000 is good for a tranny service. If not, you can go quite a bit longer.

I do oil every 3-5,000 and lately have been using the Valvoline 75,000+ oil (forget what its called), which I believe is a synthetic blend. Tranny gets serviced every 60,000 or so. I too flush the brake fluid when it looks dark in the reservoir. People sometimes look at me like I'm crazy when I say I do that, but if you've ever seen the nasty fluid that comes out when you do that, there's no doubt it is extending the life of the brake system by flushing it.

I've heard of Honda Civics going 500,000 miles on the original clutch, let alone the engine or trans, so I was just wondering if anybody had a Pathfinder up in the 3-4-500,000 mile range.

I was at an auto museam over the winter. They have a displayed 90's Saab w over 1 million miles on the odo. With original motor and turbo. No joke, full documentation daily driver. No "special" test vehicle.

I've heard of Honda Civics going 500,000 miles on the original clutch, let alone the engine or trans, so I was just wondering if anybody had a Pathfinder up in the 3-4-500,000 mile range.

There was a guy around here on this board, and is local to me, who said his 91 pathy had like 650,000km's on the original clutch/equipment. I saw that truck in person, I could believe it too. He also said he never changed the timing belt :ohno01:

Since I have no plans to buy another vehicle anytime soon, I'm gonna try for at least 500k miles, and if she's still going strong afterwards, I'll push for the 1 mil mark :D

Edited by redfinder