Help w/ front suspension

yar1

I replaced the struts & strut mounts on saturday and broke the CV axle in the process when i pushed down/pulled out on the hub/rotor, so i replaced it. now most of the time when the suspension moves IE turns,bump,etc, it makes a popping noise, i thought this was a bad CV so i replaced it again, what else could it be? i did notice im missing an oring between the snapring and the hub, could that be causing this?

I replaced the struts & strut mounts on saturday and broke the CV axle in the process when i pushed down/pulled out on the hub/rotor, so i replaced it. now most of the time when the suspension moves IE turns,bump,etc, it makes a popping noise, i thought this was a bad CV so i replaced it again, what else could it be? i did notice im missing an oring between the snapring and the hub, could that be causing this?

When you replaced the struts did you replace the strut bearing as well? could be rusted or even the strut mount insulator, mine does the same thing and im pretty sure its the strut bearings but im gonna wait to replace it when my struts go. anyways good luck with that

I say bad bearing, esp. if you didn't change them out when you did the mount. If you get new ones now, just make sure they're OEM and not the KYB's.

Hey Navy, why not KYB's? I was thinking about replacing my struts with something better than OEM and was leaning strongly with the KYB's. Is there something I didnt know about them? I had heard that they were really good.

Please let me know if youve had a bad experience with KYB, because Im really close to making the purchase,,,, thanks.

Hey Navy, why not KYB's? I was thinking about replacing my struts with something better than OEM and was leaning strongly with the KYB's. Is there something I didnt know about them? I had heard that they were really good.

Please let me know if youve had a bad experience with KYB, because Im really close to making the purchase,,,, thanks.

they wear out really quickly i believe...

they wear out really quickly i believe...

Really?

The reason why I had planned on upgrading the struts in the first place, was that I just never liked the feel of my 04 Pathy from day one. Just seemed really marshmellowy, and Ive always complained about the general feel of the ride. I put a set of Bilstein shocks on my Ford truck, and the difference is like night and day, but unfortunately I cant seem to find Bilstein struts for the Pathy, so I dont even know if they make them for the Nissans, so I was going to go with KYB which I figured were adequate to the Bilsteins, atleast thats what I had heard.

I only have 58k on the original struts, and I definetly didnt want to go back to OEM. Now Im scratching my head a little here as far as what direction to go.

Anyone else with KYB's or other Struts replaced with recommendations?

Really?

The reason why I had planned on upgrading the struts in the first place, was that I just never liked the feel of my 04 Pathy from day one. Just seemed really marshmellowy, and Ive always complained about the general feel of the ride. I put a set of Bilstein shocks on my Ford truck, and the difference is like night and day, but unfortunately I cant seem to find Bilstein struts for the Pathy, so I dont even know if they make them for the Nissans, so I was going to go with KYB which I figured were adequate to the Bilsteins, atleast thats what I had heard.

I only have 58k on the original struts, and I definetly didnt want to go back to OEM. Now Im scratching my head a little here as far as what direction to go.

Anyone else with KYB's or other Struts replaced with recommendations?

KYB has excellent struts. My truck has KYB struts and shocks in the back and I love the ride. Not a lot of body roll while turning but they still soak up bumps well. I would definitely go with KYB struts/shocks, but I just heard the KYB bearings are not good, so stick with OEM.

I just realized you misread Navy's post and I misread your post. He said the KYB bearings are garbage not the struts/schocks...

I know three other people off the of my head (not including myself) who used them. They're crap and wear extremely quickly. I've had them for about 10K miles and they creak like a rocking chair already. As a matter of fact, I've yet to see anyone use them and not have issues with them.

Pony up and order Nissan ones from your local parts bin. There's a good number names tossed around this board that people order from.

I just realized you misread Navy's post and I misread your post. He said the KYB bearings are garbage not the struts/schocks...

Yep, that's what I meant, the bearings only. I too have KYB struts and really like them, they're an excellent value.

KYB has excellent struts. My truck has KYB struts and shocks in the back and I love the ride. Not a lot of body roll while turning but they still soak up bumps well. I would definitely go with KYB struts/shocks, but I just heard the KYB bearings are not good, so stick with OEM.

OHHH, OK,, lol, thanks for pointing that out to me. Ok great, that helps me out alot now, cause I was asking the dealer that I was ordering the KYBs from if he could sale me the bearings as well, I thank Ill pass on the KYB bearings now and just get some OEM.

Thanks for the tip.

Diid you notice a BIG difference in the overall feel of the vehicle when you put on your GR2s?

OHHH, OK,, lol, thanks for pointing that out to me. Ok great, that helps me out alot now, cause I was asking the dealer that I was ordering the KYBs from if he could sale me the bearings as well, I thank Ill pass on the KYB bearings now and just get some OEM.

Thanks for the tip.

Diid you notice a BIG difference in the overall feel of the vehicle when you put on your GR2s?

I bought mine like this, but I have a friend with 70k on his OEMs, and they were GARBAGE. Really squishy and lots of body lean. The KYB's are much tighter and like I said not much body roll. They can get choppy over really rough sections of road, but the doesn't bother me, im not expecting sedan quality ride...

Yes...especially when braking hard, there's half as much nose-diving.

Sounds great. I found a dealer on E-Bay that sales them for 245, but that doesnt include the strut housings(mounts)? or the bearings.

Not sure if thats a great deal or not, but its the best Ive seen os far while looking.

Is there anything else that needs to be replaced when doing struts other than the Mounts and bearings?

Edited by Typhus

Heh, rotors and pads if you've got some time!

No there isn't, well, not that I did anyways.

Funny you should say that..... Rotors pads are scheduled to be here today actually. Is it easier to do the struts with the rotors off?

Sounds great. I found a dealer on E-Bay that sales them for 245, but that doesnt include the strut housings(mounts)? or the bearings.

Not sure if thats a great deal or not, but its the best Ive seen os far while looking.

Is there anything else that needs to be replaced when doing struts other than the Mounts and bearings?

I'm pretty sure I bought mine from summit racing, here is a link for 2004 KYB shocks/struts:

http://store.summitracing.com/egnsearch.as...9396+115+400286

Funny you should say that..... Rotors pads are scheduled to be here today actually. Is it easier to do the struts with the rotors off?

Not necessarily, but seeing as you'll be removing the caliper and bungee cording so it doesn't hang by the brake line, you'll already be in there...might as well go at it all at once.. Just make sure you have a real strut compressor before starting the job.

~~~~LATE~~~~

Ditto on the KYB BEARINGS--J-U-N-K

Did my whole lift and spacers, KYB bearings "new" installed...trash! Jumpy steering and terrible feel in the steering wheel...can't be good for the power steering pump to have all of those sudden surges!!

nope. Its not. I'm dealing with power steering problems due to the kyb bearings right now. So. Unless you want to replace your power steering pump. Go with the oem.

Are bad strut bearings really that bad for the power steering? Because I still have the stock bearings in mine and the struts are starting to make popping sounds over bumps but I really don't want to replace them until my actual struts go... suggestions?

thanks

I second some of the previous posts about the poor quality of KYB strut bearings and mounts (strut issolators?).

I had my original OEM bearings and mounts last well over 80,000 miles (6 years!) before the passenger side started making noises. I replaced with KYB bearings and mounts, which looked very flimsy when compared with the OEM. The first set of KYB mounts were completely destroyed in less than a week, but I blamed it on improper installation of strut spacers.

I replaced with second set of KYBs, with the strut spacer installed correctly, and they worked OK for a while, but finally started making popping noises within 1 year (both of them). I finally replaced with OEM bearings and mounts, and they have been in the truck for well over 2 years with no problems.

On the other hand, KYB struts and shocks are great, so don't let the quality of the strut bearings discourage you. I liked my KYB gas struts better than my current Rancho RSXs, and the KYBs were cheaper. When I switch struts again I will probably get KYBs...

Lol, thats great! You're lucky it let you tighten it, sometimes they just spin and spin and spin!

Those OEM's last a while, I put mine back in after the KYB started sucking...now 52 on the clock with no real issue. My driver side makes a small clunk when almost at full lock, but that is rarely a concern.

Hey guys, this thread has been very helpful in assisting me with ordering the right struts and components for the job.

One last question though....

In regards to getting the proper OEM strut mounts and bearings, I have narrowed my search down to Moog and Spicer.

Moog offers the strut mount and bearing for about $50, while Spicer offers a kit that includes mount, bearing, and BELLOW, for $59.

First of all are Moog and Spicer both considered OEM quality?

Also, are the strut "Bellows", actually necessary? I cant find any where in the KYB strut description that says that the "bellows" are included, and I wanted to make sure I ordered everything right the first time around.

On a side note, I was really surprised at how many KYB dealer sites had various conflicting list numbers and fittings for the correct struts.

I almost ordered the wrong set, that actually fit the 5.6l, 8cyl, when I needed the struts for the 3.5l, 6cyl.

If anyone else needs the correct KYB list number for the 2004 3.5liter, they are....

WO133-11613945 and WO133-1613883

Well, now Im not so sure on this. Take a look and you will see why this has been such a headache trying to determine the correct strut.

Heres an example of the confusion.....

http://www.car-stuff.com/store/?Ne=2&N...4294967224+2596

As you can see, there are two different sets of struts that apply to the same year and engine type.

WO133-1613945 / 1613883 and WO133-1614127 / 1614373

Anyone know what the difference is between these two sets?

Cant believe how much time Ive spent just trying to get the right struts ordered. Ive even called several on-line suppliers, and they couldnt even give me a straight answer.

Hopefully one of the experts here will see this post.

Thanks, typhus

Hope this helps anyone else that may be looking, and confused like me....lol

Edited by Typhus