OME HD Lift Springs

rod_b

Anyone running these? Can't decide between the med or the HD ones. My pathy is 2WD and hardly ever sees the dirt. How rough will the ride be with the HD springs for regular city\street driving?

Edited by rod_b

Anyone running these? Can't decide between the med or the HD ones. My pathy is 2WD and hardly ever sees the dirt. How rough will the ride be with the HD springs for regular city\street driving?

I have HD front and Med rear, with KYB GR-2's in the front and OME shocks in the rear. Ride is good and firm. I think you'll be happy with your ride quality on the street. The KYB's are good quality and cheap too.

I just installed new KYBs front and rear. Rides much, much better. Before that, it was the stockers from 1996 (160K+ miles on them). I like the ride now. The rear is a bit firm and I just don't want it to get too much firmer if I get lift springs.

I just installed new KYBs front and rear. Rides much, much better. Before that, it was the stockers from 1996 (160K+ miles on them). I like the ride now. The rear is a bit firm and I just don't want it to get too much firmer if I get lift springs.

The OME springs will definately make the ride firmer. How much? Hard to say...

I also have the OME lift coils, heavy duty front and medium rear (by the way, i don't think OME makes heavy duty coils for the rear, only for the front). I currently also have Rancho RSX struts and custom 3/4" strut spacers up front, and Rancho RS9000X adjustable shocks in the rear.

When I originally installed the OME coils (without the strut spacers) I had no bull bar, winch or skid plates. With that setup I think the heavy duty front OME coils were way too stiff. I got over 1" of front lift, but the struts would constantly "top-out" when going over large bumps, just like with the AC 2" lift coils.

But, after installing a bull bar, winch and skid plates the ride felt much better and the struts would not top out anymore. Unfortunately I lost about 1/2" of lift, and my front end was sitting close to 1" lower than the rear. So, I installed the strut spacers. With this final setup the truck sits perfectly level. The ride is firm but by no means harsh. I personally think its close to "perfect" B)

I previously had KYB stuts and shocks. If I had to do it again I might switch back to KYB struts up front because I think they "felt" better over large bumps, but the adjustable Ranchos in the rear really make a big differrence. I can set then softer for city driving with the truck empty, and stiffer when the truck is loaded or when I want more stability on the highway.

So, I think the ideal setup if you plan on installing a winch would be KYB struts and HD OME coils up front, and Rancho 9000s with the medium OME coils in the rear. If you are not planning on installing a winch, I would go for the same setup, except medium OME coils all around.

Good luck!

On my wifes '01 LE, I ordered the OME MD front springs and I found them to stiffen the ride quite a bit vs OEM springs Personally if you were looking for a little extra height without making the ride too harsh I would attempt the MD springs or, as many others have done, purchase the AC springs, which apparently don't make the ride as harsh as the OME HD's can.

My $0.03

I have had both the OME Med and HD in the front. If I remember correctly the HD coils are just a bit taller then the Med. The spring constant is the same so they will have the same ride quality side by side. I would recommend that anyone interested in getting OME get the HD coils up front. Dont waste your time or money with the med duty. You will get a more level ride with the HD coils. I relate the upgrade to going from a minivan to a truck like feel. I loved my OME ride quality.

Edited by Entropy98