JGC console in an '87 Pathfinder

• 1 year later...

FWIW I noticed that the console in a mid 90's Pathfinder was two pieces screwed together and that the upper part looked like it was about the size of the depression in the stock console in my 89. I took the 90's console apart and cut off the bottom section until it was the correct size and then attached it to my 89 console and now I have cup holders and the entire install only took a couple of hours.

Console1.jpg

Console2.jpg

Not quite as nice as the OP, but it works for me.

Tom

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 6 months later...

Well. I thought I'd resurrect this kick ass thread because not only is absolutely brilliant for a manual, but ALSO because I want to offer the community a cash prize reward. I am personally willing to donate $30.00 via Paypal to anyone who can find a center console that will fit as nice as this one did on the manual tranny, but for the automatic owners out there. Obviously some minor tweaking will no doubt be needed just as the Manual version that JJ Big Shoe discovered.

Perhaps a little cash may motivate some more then others. I'm attempting to REALLY eliminate the cup holder issue for Automatics once and for all. If any other members care to chip in to the pot, I bet in no time you are gonna see some real results. Thanks again JJ for your Ingenuity on the project.

Edited by Dowser

Going to Double post because I thought of something last night and thought I would hear what the you all may know. Now since my last post was referring to the Auto Tranny and how the Manual Jeep Grand Cherokee Center Console,(93-98) wont fit due to the location of our Auto's Shift lever, It got me thinking that perhaps the Pathfinder Auto tranny Shifter could be changed with another vehicle. I know that you can buy aftermarket shift kits for Automatics for racing and such, but I don't really see why you couldn't change over the shifter of an auto to some other vehicle manufacturer. If it's a wiring thing and connector issue, could that not be spliced appropriately to ours to function normally? Perhaps all one would need to do is not only pick up the Center Console, but the Auto Tranny Shifter as well and voila?

Am I thinking too simple?

Is it possible I could be paying myself $30.00 Dollars via paypal? :rolleyes::sly:

*edit*

Well upon further review and asking an expert, this is definitely a no go. This can't be done. My guess would be it's probably easier to fabricate an adapter to mate the 42RE & 44RE Transmissions from the JGC to our engines then it would be to what I was thinking might work. I suppose thats not worth a couple of cupholders is it. :tongue: Oh well. On to the next theory when it pops in my head.

Edited by Dowser

• 2 years later...

I picked up a JGC console and got it cleaned up and painted today...

IMG_20130721_154534_381_zps9b1fc935.jpg

IMG_20130721_154543_034_zpsbb194373.jpg

IMG_20130721_161229_789_zpsc03b7f92.jpg

IMG_20130721_181826_641_zps5357d4b4.jpg

I didn't double check the color and found out AFTER painting that this is too light of a grey....so, tomorrow I'll two-tone it with the correct shade. B)

Hopefully everything else will go smoothly with the install. Can anyone enlighten me as to how the 2x/4x drive lever comes loose? Can it be removed and replace after bending at a later date?

IIRC, two 14mm bolts and maybe a snap ring and the whole lever pops out. Lots of grease and a long spring to deal with, but not hard. It'll be evident once you remove the shift boot.

You'll have to heat and bend the lever and test fit with the console a bunch then final mount everything. You also will want to trim the bottom of the console before you paint it since it sits up so high.

I have since reverted back to a stock console, though. I couldn't keep trans/exhaust heat from creeping through the seals. But I do have another idea for cupholders sitting in my garage. Just need time to work on them. Wanna hint? Inverted pistons :aok:

Good luck and post pics when you're finished.

I wonder if the console out of a Cherokee would work or fit better? Isn't the cherokee slightly smaller than the grand cherokee?

Here is a console I found online from a 98 cherokee manual trans:

2i95pih.jpg

side view:

2qi6wc3.jpg

here is the auto version:

do756x.jpg

Had back-up and punt on this. After pulling the passenger seat, shift boot, and stock console, I found that the JGC console that I have (not sure what year JGC it came out of) is too wide, as it overlaps the seatbelt bolt points by more than an inch on each side and would be crushed by the seats. :headwall:

I will also need to locate a torch to be able to heat the drive selector lever to bend to fit the slot.

ahardb0dy- Just looking at the pics, the selector lever cut out sits too far to the rear. :doh:

Yeah, there's actually a bunch of mod work involved in that project. Mine fit better when I replaced the seats with ones from an Integra (much thinner) and moved the seat belt receivers from the floor to the seats.

I tried the console from an R50 one day while I was at the junkyard, might as well try stuff before buying it right.

I did not like how it fit because it is a little to wide and it gets squeezed between the seats. I know people have swapped them into the WD21's butI think I would try to modify the seat brackets slightly just to get a little more room.

Next junkyard trip I'm going to try a few different consoles in a WD21 to see what looks like it may or may not work.

As to the console I posted the pics of above, the plastic in front of the transfer case shifter appears to be flat so modifying the Jeep console so the transfer case shifter is more forward then the Jeep shifter may not be that difficult.

I'm going to get my friends Xterra over here in a few days and try swapping consoles and see if anything will work at all. I was driving it today and had a "hmmmmm" moment.

• 2 years later...

I managed to get a mini fridge/food warmer in between the seats. Centre console required some cutting of plastic. Basically had to cut off the back part where the old lid was and fab up some metal brackets to hold the fridge in place and glue, lots of glue lol.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

Interesting idea! My '88 is an auto so I'd be curious to see if the same swap would work with just the right amount of tweaking. I'm heading over to the yard tomorrow with my bud so I'll keep an eye out of there's a GC somewhere in the lot.

Sent from my SM-J727T using Tapatalk