Where to buy CV axles?

XPLORx4

Hi,

I tried to search, but the dumb search feature complained about "CV" being less than 3 characters.

I just found that my left-side outer CV boot has a 1" split in it. Fortunately, since I have manual hubs, it hasn't been spraying grease everywhere, and I'd rather replace the whole axle than try to fix the boot.

Anyway, I know some of you have been able to buy new or remanufactured CV axles for as little as $50 (some with a lifetime warranty!), but I don't recall where you bought them.

I haven't checked my local auto parts stores (Pep Boys, Kragen, AutoZone) yet.

Got any good tips on parts suppliers?

www.rockauto.com

gsp half shafts brand new, lifetime warranty $78.89

Cardone presumed brand new since no core charge $51.79

Cardone Reman $69.79 plus $50 core

shipping charge for 1 about 9 bucks to my neck of the woods.

Mark

msavides-

Where did you see that the GSP half shafts have a lifetime warranty? I couldn't find that info on their site.

Also, it seems weird that the remanufactured shafts ($69.79+core) are twice as much as the new ones.

Have you purchased from rockauto before?

msavides-

Where did you see that the GSP half shafts have a lifetime warranty? I couldn't find that info on their site.

Also, it seems weird that the remanufactured shafts ($69.79+core) are twice as much as the new ones.

Have you purchased from rockauto before?

I bought both my half shafts for my wd21 (gsp) from rock auto.

their web sites states that they have a lifetime warranty.

http://gspnorthamerica.com/

I have actually bought from rock auto about 8 times. They have never let me down.

Mark

Edited by msavides

a note to mention.

I have heard from many people that the factory half shafts have much better angles then the after market shafts. I kind of concur with them. Now whether this is because my factory shafts were worn in I can't tell you. But the new ones seem to bind at full droop. I have yet to do any hard core wheeling with the new shafts so I cannot tell you that they will or wont break. However I spent and extra 15 bucks for the boot kits for my old ones (on sale at rock auto) So you may want to keep your old ones.

Mark

Edited by msavides

XPLORX4

I just investigated this a few weeks ago. Search my postings and you will find out the conclusion I came too.

Short version: Buy GSP from Rock Auto. Best price. I just purchased two for approx. $68.00 each incl. shipping. I'll send you a PM with my discount code for even more savings. Kirk

Rock auto....just turned onto them and purchased parts three seperate times. No need to price shop anymore they are the best. Fast shipping. your choice on quality of part.

Sent PM let me know if you got it

Edited by Kirk

just purchased two for approx. $68.00 each incl. shipping....

Got both of your PMs. Thanks!

However, the cheapest I can get a GSP Part # NCV53128 CV shipped to me from rockauto (including the promo code you provided) is $89.87 (discounted part is 74.85, shipping is $15.02) Are you sure you got them for $68 shipped?

Edited by XPLORx4

Got both of your PMs. Thanks!

However, the cheapest I can get a GSP Part # NCV53128 CV shipped to me from rockauto (including the promo code you provided) is $89.87 (discounted part is 74.85, shipping is $15.02) Are you sure you got them for $68 shipped?

if you ship to a business address the shipping considerably cheaper. Like I said it was 9 bucks and I am not that far from you.

BTW some of the older wd21 half shafts are cheaper could be why his was less.

Mark

Edited by msavides

Ok checked my reciept: I paid $68.79 each from rockauto.com. I called the 1-800 number when I ordered. Total for my two shafts w/shipping was right at $150.00. Give them a call and ask why the price difference, they still might honor it. I'm guessing there probally was a price increase right after I purchased? Sorry, still a fair deal for new units no core. Built well. I actuallt called GSP directly and talked to the tech dept. For a big company I was impressed they spent time w/ me for my silly questions. After all I am not a dealer. Other than they look good, I have not installed them yet because I have several other cars I am working on for the summer race season. Hope this helps.

• 3 weeks later...

I just had my right front axel replaced yesterday at the dealership where I work. We are a Chevrolet dealer but will work on any employees rigs. Anyway I paid 34 dollars for a remanufactured axle, and 66 dollars for labor to have it installed as I dont have the time to do it myself for a total of 100 and some change. I think I did varry well, and if you have a parts warehouse close by where you live that supplies parts to mainly dealers to check them out as retail on it was just 55.00. just shareing a little info.

XPLORX4

I just investigated this a few weeks ago. Search my postings and you will find out the conclusion I came too.

Short version: Buy GSP from Rock Auto. Best price. I just purchased two for approx. $68.00 each incl. shipping. I'll send you a PM with my discount code for even more savings. Kirk

Rock auto....just turned onto them and purchased parts three seperate times. No need to price shop anymore they are the best. Fast shipping. your choice on quality of part.

Hey Kirk,

Can you share that discount code with me?

Why not the Cardone units?