R50 Snorkel

Pezzy

I cant say PVC...but I can say UGLY!

Ah at least you can take comfort in knowing your truck looks awesome, even though you are up to your bumper in dirty pond water and may need a new motor, starter, alty etc. At least with the snorkel, your engine may still be running and it won't be such a p.i.t.a. to extract the truck from whatever mess you thought you could make it through. When I buried my front end in a hole and stalled the engine, it took plenty of digging and 3 trucks hooked together to pull it from that mud hole.

n620175477_3544153_8137.jpg

fun times! :rolleyes: I used to wonder why all the aussies would get so heated when they see pictures of north americans plowing through water with no snorkels, now i understand. I would have done the same as Max and made my own, but I got a decent price on my snorkel ($300) so I just bought one instead.

On a side note, have any r50 owners bought and installed this snorkel yet? It looks like it's made by Airflow (Gibson) It's odd that Safari Snorkels don't have a part for you guys... yet. I don't think they are made from PVC it's too brittle. Probably UHMWPE.

*shakes head at nige*

I know some people on the aussie board installed the snorkel, with some difficulties. I also believe Go Pathy Go picked one up, and later regretted the purchase. It was a royal PITA to install.

Hi Guys

I can see Maxstrikers point where he has needed a snorkel for some real extreme wheeling.

Although, I do intend to agree with others here, before you rip in to installing a snorkel like on Bobby's black R50 here in oz, you gotta weigh up the for and againsts. I have always brought these up with people here debating whther to install one or not. Down in Victoria where Bobby, Justin and I are from, there aren't many rivers deep enough to warrant a snorkel. I have had mine over the bonnet with no snorkel fitted, I did have a tarp across the front though. Though Justin's R50 got a air box full of water on the same bonnet high crossing. Here's mine below.

nick_river.jpg

I think the under guard pre-air box does a fairly reasonable job of restricting water ingress, though not as good as a snorkel. I think a lot has to do with the river crossing techique too.

I think these snorkels are available on ebay.com.au

Nick

Wow!!! Thats amazing! Here is a pic of me hydrolocking my truck... Sans snorkel

9923_174500096150_728486150_4264922.jpg

In the pic, I'm obviously being pulled out. I was in a bit deeper, but not much. It was mostly because I was tipped to the drivers side where the air box is. Since then I've re-routed the inlet on the box, but a snorkel is the next mod after the Bumper/winch :-D Any input on the one to buy would be awesome!

I think a lot has to do with the river crossing techique too.

Nick

Oh I agree, but that pic you posted, would scare the crap out of me.

This crossing was enough for me:

That said, I have seen someone hydrolock a truck on a fire road, because the blew through a puddle like a maniac.

I bought that snorkel.

After a week of trying, I flung said snorkel into a dumpster.

Thing is just plain awful. Instructions aren't that helpful. Stuff doesn't line up. You have to drill holes everywhere and it still won't fit. Doesn't come with all the hardware you need. It feels and is the flimsiest cheapest plastic they could find.

Oh, did I mention the connection between snorkel and airbox doesn't work ? Like, literally won't fit ?

Save your money. Get $100 worth of stainless radiator tube and run it behind the sheetmetal (or outside, if you like) and bring it out near the driver door. The stock airbox has a neat hole for the radiator tube to fit into.

Edited by GoPathyGo
  • Like 1

But wouldn't that restrict airflow way too much?

The stock air intake is the definition of restrictive. White plastic with small air holes/inlets. I used rubber radiator pipe from (I think) a Chevy HD pickup as a test piece before ordering the steel version. It matched the diameter of the hole in the air box. So it's pretty much as big as you can get without replacing the air box itself.

I did this mod a while ago. it really helps with additional air into the engine. As you can see, there is a screw on cap to use when crossing deepish rivers.

http://www.pcoa.org.au/forum/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=4285

Pezzy, that crossing is a very short crossing. With the use of video editting, I cut a photo from the video for the best pic. The pic hasn't been photoshopped or anything, just cut from the video.

If you pull off the inner guard plastics, you can see the pre-air box. There are only a couple of bolts holding it on. Pull it off and take a look at it. It could do with some more diameter inlets and outlets, but it's not bad. Any water has to flow down through the inlet under the guard, up to the top of the pre-air box, then down into the next chamber, then up to the air filter box. It's no sealed snorkel but works well with the addition of a front tarp. (below)

nick-tarp.jpg

It's a simple lightweight 6ft x 4ft poly tarp held down with shock cord to the underside at the front and down to the lip of each guard. This way it fits R50 with no bullbar, with bullbar, with nudgebar and R51 without bar. Haven't tried any other vehicles yet. Cost about 10 bucks!!

Nick

Edited by Nickj
  • Like 1

I just recently got back from AUSTRALIA on my last tour and Man, am I JEALOUS, Almost every Patrol I saw there had an ARB or Custom Look Bumper and Snorkel! I AGREE the D22 Snorkel than VENGEFUL did looked the best on the r50.....NO SUBFRAME CUTTING!

This is probably the best "Ghetto Snorkel" I've seen. Mind you, I don't think I'd make the visible section out of sh*t pipe. I'd probably find a piece of Polyurethane tubing.

snorkel2.jpg

snorkel1.jpg

I'm not sure if it even COULD be routed the same way as this... the inner fender is probably different then the R50.

This is probably the best "Ghetto Snorkel" I've seen. Mind you, I don't think I'd make the visible section out of sh*t pipe. I'd probably find a piece of Polyurethane tubing.

snorkel2.jpg

snorkel1.jpg

I'm not sure if it even COULD be routed the same way as this... the inner fender is probably different then the R50.

I Love that!!!! I WANT TO DO THAT!! But seriously, that is clever.

Jose