R50 Snorkel

Pezzy

There are probably already a handful of links to this thread on PCoA... but they have finally gotten somewhere...

http://pcoa.org.au/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1...a&start=165

Skip to the last couple pages....

It looks good, but considering even he would go with the D22 if he were to do it again... I'm not sure how excited I should be. It's awesome though, that someone finally did something for the R50's.

step38.jpg

Now, let me point out the good and the bad.

The good things is that you don't need to remove the antenna, and that the snorkel follows the body contour nicely. And thats about it.

The bad things about it is that its not a simple and straight forward installation and does require a significant amount of work. What even worse is that you have to cut in the chassis crumple zone :shock: The work instruction were very poor and some of the pictures were from D40 Nav/R51 :o . I also think this design has much more drag in comparison to the D22 modified snorkel. I will post a copy of the work instructions as soon I scan them.

If I had to do it again, I would buy the D22 Navara snorkel and retrofit it as there is plenty of room further down for running a flexi hose. It just means that the antenna is to be relocated, which is probably less work in comparison to what we ended up doing.

And as for the plumbing, the bottom hole can be easily plugged using a 50mm PVC blind cap and rubber cement. Justin and I are working on an attachment for the bottom half of the air box and the flexi hose will directly connect from the side.

Looks like for left-hand-drive R50's (which, unlike the Aussie R50's, have the antenna mast on the right side), it's not such an issue to use the Navarra snorkel, huh?

I assume the fitting of this one is nicer. I know the Navarra one leaves some gap between the snorkel and the fender...

although... gap vs. crumple zone of the unibody... hmmmm. yeah.

Wow, zing, you sure did get me...

Read that thread, and you will see where I have been, I've been posting on that board for a while now.

If you read the thread - all 13 pages, you will see that they have been saying it's coming soon for months, (if not years). Then nothing happens... It's only now they have finally come out with something.

Hey hey, stiffle it! Now...back to those side markers..err uhh Snorkel...I me likey the sidemarkers too!!

That whole truck looks super sweet...NICE TJM aluminum bumper, tires, roof rails...dag on ! I really would like to retire at a ripe old age of about 55-60 and move to Aussie...these goodies sure make me think of moving now, oh that and the impending presidential election! Lol, back to the snorkel...how much do these set-ups cost?

Edited by 02silverpathy

$380 usd + shipping

If someone sunk an R50 deep enough to actually need a snorkel, youre gonna have more problems than hydrolocking the engine....

Its for show!!

Edited by FUELER

You don't have to have the truck in that much water to hydrolock it... I've been in deep enough... if I got stuck I woulda been toast... I also know someone who's hydrolocked their truck blasting thru a decent puddle (by no means a water crossing) but the water splashed up at the perfect angle, and he was done.

Our airboxes/intake are low...

If someone sunk an R50 deep enough to actually need a snorkel, youre gonna have more problems than hydrolocking the engine....

Its for show!!

First off, Pezzy, thank you very much for posting the link to the PCoA guys over there, Ive been a semi-active member on that site for about 2 years now and they always have good stuff and arnt rude or nasty if you post something.

Secondly, Fueler - maybe out in the Baja you dont have much water because the only pics Ive ever seen of your rig are stuck in sand, or posing in a half inch of snow on a roadside ditch/bank and that one pic of your strut/spring tower totally wasted - I assume you never have and you probably never will take your rig in anything over 6". I myself chose to make myself a snorkel, and I sure as hell am glad I did.

swamped008.jpg

that was the shallow part. Glad I had a snorkel because 5 feet away was my other truck....

WITHOUT a snorkel

swamped007.jpg

see the difference.

Glad I had it here too:

P1010469.jpg

otherwise the inlet on the airbox sits...GUESS WHERE.... Right underneath that water level.

Same here

NEMO3.jpg

Couldnt imagine no snorkel getting stuck here like I did

HEREWEGOAGAIN.jpg

Coulda used it at PARAGON in 2005 also while doing inner spare, but luckily i didnt get hung up on the rock

P1000343.jpg

Now Im not saying everyone is as crazy as I am when it comes to water, but those are 5 or so examples of times I needed a snorkel in the last 3 years.

There have been other times where I was shocked that the snorkel even worked and Im glad.

So dont knock Pezzy for posting an informational thread where all i see you doing is bashing people every chance you get. Thats not the type of site this is

Edited by max_stryker
  • Like 1

OUCH!!! Now thats some real hydrolock!

i would think a ricer intake would help since the intake opening is so much higher VS stock!

Maybe thats why you were sellin that intake so cheap! LOL

Hey tyler did u get my PM about the compressor

• 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...

WHY ARE WE YELLING??

QX4 owners are welcome here, their trucks are the same as our pathfinders, with the exception of some aesthetic differences.

MISTER JERSEY YOUR THE MAN I LIVE IN CT AND I KNOW WHAT MUD IS AND FUELER YOU HAVE A QX4 THIS IS A PATHFINDER SITE DO YOU EVEN WHEEL THAT THING ...I KNOW THIS POST IS MAD OLD BUT SOMEONE WILL SEE THIS

Dude...You suck. An R50 is an R50, whether it be a Pathfinder or QX4. Same exact thing. Such as the old Honda Passports and Isuzu Rodeos were the exact same thing. Or the Suzuki Sidekick and Geo Metro's were the same. Or how the Camaro and Firebirds are the same. Or how Chevy Trucks and GM trucks are the same. Or how the Dodge Stealth and Mitsubishi 3000GT are the same. Dude, I could go on and on. Get your head out of your...(deep breathe...).

Jose

MISTER JERSEY YOUR THE MAN I LIVE IN CT AND I KNOW WHAT MUD IS AND FUELER YOU HAVE A QX4 THIS IS A PATHFINDER SITE DO YOU EVEN WHEEL THAT THING ...I KNOW THIS POST IS MAD OLD BUT SOMEONE WILL SEE THIS

Really?

1. caps lock is on the left side of the keyboard, it's your friened

2. if someone wheels or not, what's it matter? (which FUELER does, just a different terrain than some.)

3. QX4 is a r50 Pathfinder, just a different "package"

4. baja running, rocks, mud, whats it matter? wheelin is wheelin!

5. it was really necesarry to dig up a topic over a year old for that?

6. back to the snorkel topic!

It's ok. functionality is always high on my list. My buddy is making a snorkel out of metal. Its welded to the fender. I can't wait till its done! Its gonna look so stupid and badass at the same time.