• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i did it.

HAHA PSYCH OUT

I actually got excited. What are you doing with that science experiment in the armpit of America?

Oh, and to the original poster - nobody has ever heard of anyone completing a SAS on an R50, but a few people are rumored to be attempting it right now.

after seeing max's subframe out of the truck, why havent more people attempted this? that subframe to be looked beefy, and with a few modifications could easily support the sprung weight of the truck.

• 3 weeks later...

its offical!

97 Nissan pathfinder SE. 5 speed.

D60's front and rear.

5.89's

double triagalated 4 link with 18" air shocks out back

3 link with 16" air shocks up front.

rolling on 39's!

I still have to get some rod ends and airshocks for the front, and order my tires.

cutting wont begin for another 2 months just so I can get it in and out of the garage as fast as possable. want to have most of the parts ready to go before I cut.

there will be a ton of 1/8" steel plating the unibody along with an equal amount of tubbing.

should be a fun project, trying to keep it on the "down low". so lets try and keep it to NPORA for as long as possable.

tell me what you think!

Wow, this should be cool. Is the R50 yours? If it is, why'd you decide to SAS an R50 instead of a WD21? How are you going to gear a front 60 to 5.89s? Are you not using a Ford HP axle?

ya, the car50 is mine. its a insurance write off. got it for $600, all it needs is a drivers side door and a new clutch.

the front 60 is from a dodge, so std rotation. the plan is to flip the axle and swap the C's to make it a drives drop. but I do have a D300 laying around so leaving the axle in stock postion and using a non flipped D300 may also be a possablity.

ill keep you guys updated and pics will be posted.

ya, the car50 is mine. its a insurance write off. got it for $600, all it needs is a drivers side door and a new clutch.

the front 60 is from a dodge, so std rotation. the plan is to flip the axle and swap the C's to make it a drives drop. but I do have a D300 laying around so leaving the axle in stock postion and using a non flipped D300 may also be a possablity.

ill keep you guys updated and pics will be posted.

Holy sh!t I think I just pissed myself

Beefy eh? I can bend one up pretty good. (and have!!)

pez where exactly did it bend. i know i have heard of a few people doing this, but when max's was out of his truck, it looked fairly well braced, and i was just curious as to what the weak points were....

where exactly did [the subframe] bend

I dont know about hers but i'd have to guess right in the middle... where its most susceptible....

Keep us updated on the SAS - and make lots of notes! You could sell an instruction manual on how to SAS an R50!

Edited by FUELER

pez where exactly did it bend. i know i have heard of a few people doing this, but when max's was out of his truck, it looked fairly well braced, and i was just curious as to what the weak points were....

Pretty much the center, as fueler guessed... right where the steering rack mounts... I had no idea I had done anything, but noticed the truck was pulling left hard while the steering wheel was pointing right. I can only guess I dropped the truck on a nice pointy rock right at that point, and it gave. Needless to say I ordered skidplates after replacing that bad boy... (imagine that plastic splash guard didnt save the day!!?!?) I've beaten the hell out of the truck since with no further issues.

Looking forward to seeing the build trailboss... Mind if I ask what your estimated budget is for this project?