New rear bumper with swing out tire carrier...

arcano

I finally got around to taking some pictures of my new rear bumper...

My original bumper got pretty banged up in a road accident last year, so I started thinking about replacing it with a custom job. I got ideas from many bumpers I found on the internet, including XPLORX's and Pezzy's custom rear bumpers, as well as KMA's multicarrier and many other bumpers for other makes and models.

After much research I ordered the spindle (RockLogic), shackle mounting brackets with backing plates (Expedition Exchange), toggle clamp and pull pins (McMaster-Carr). I designed the bumper on Google Sketchup and had a local shop fabricate it. The whole bumper is made of 3/16" steel, with 3/4" mounting brackets. Total cost was $860USD installed. I think they did an excelent job. Here is the final result:

IMG_2260.jpg

IMG_2261.jpg

IMG_2262.jpg

IMG_2264.jpg

IMG_2268.jpg

As you can see, now I have tons of rear clearance, and my departure angle is huge! I've had the bumper on since december, and it has worked great so far. Opening and closing is real smooth, and once closed its really solid. I still need to relocate the license plate, which is now completely covered by the spare tire. I thought I would get a ticket right away, but so far cops have either not noticed or not cared enough to stop me. B)

Edited by arcano
  • Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
Great job! Do you have any pics on how you mounted it?

Yeah, it does look awesome, and i'm curious too on how it's mounted. Also, hows your view out the back? Looks pretty low as not to block the view too bad, nice detail there. What does your design offer for expansion? I'm thinking along the lines of a hilift mount and gas can... thanks for any answers.

Pete

Thanks for the compliments. Really, I am the one who needs to congratulate everyone here for such a great site. Just about everything I have done to my truck has been inspired by stuff I have seen either here or in other forums like this. My bumper was mostly inspired by XPLORx4 and Pezzy's excelent writeups, plus ideas I got from other forums and sites.

I shamelessly copied many of XPLORx4's mount ideas. I shopped off the standard bumper mounts (which are made out of really thin and soft metal) and cut little groves in the sheet metal to make the mounting bracket sit flush against the unibody. The bumper mounts using the stock hitch mounting points and 8 large bolts (M12, grade 10.9 of course). I also copied his idea of using four holes left by the spare tire hardware to attach the hitch directly to the unibody for additional support when towing. Here are some pictures of the original design I made, which shows the mounting brackets:

CompleteBumperPerspectiveRightRearV.jpg

CompleteBumperPerspectiveRightFront.jpg

There are more pictures during fabrication here

The standard NISSAN hitch uses an additional 2 mounting holes that go straight up into the unibody. Some people, including XPLORx4 I believe, used these mounting locations to further reinforce the bumper mount. I decided to keep the design simple and the cost down and only use the main 8 mounting holes, and I've had no problems so far. Visibility is also great out the back, and the spare tire sits low and far enough that I can still open the rear glass without opening the swingout tire carrier!

Regarding the cost, I agree that being in Panama helped a little, since labor is not as expensive as in the US. Also, consider that I spent close to $150 on hardware, including push pins, latch, spindle, etc. So, total cost came out to about a grand.

Edited by arcano

Were the drawings you have made with real dimensions?

The "design" i am refering to is really a 3d model I did with Google Sketchup (which is free). All models in SketchUp are fully dimensionable, and I built the model based on real life dimensions I took of my truck, but the measurements were taken mostly with a measuring tape or a ruler, some with a vernier caliper, so the model is only an approximation to show the shop what I wanted the bumper to "look like".

My agreement with the shop was that they would follow my model as a conceptual design, but I left them my truck for a week so they could re-measure everything and do the "real life" fitting. So, the model is close, but has some level of inaccuracy and may as well have some significant errors I don't know about. I can send the model by e-mail to anyone who thinks it may be useful. You will need Google Sketchup, which you can get for free here

By the way, check out whats next...

NissanPathfinderBumpers2.jpg

NissanPathfinderBumpers1.jpg

:aok: Can you say winch bumper!!! (the front bumper is also included in the model file, by the way...)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
The "design" i am refering to is really a 3d model I did with Google Sketchup (which is free). All models in SketchUp are fully dimensionable, and I built the model based on real life dimensions I took of my truck, but the measurements were taken mostly with a measuring tape or a ruler, some with a vernier caliper, so the model is only an approximation to show the shop what I wanted the bumper to "look like".

My agreement with the shop was that they would follow my model as a conceptual design, but I left them my truck for a week so they could re-measure everything and do the "real life" fitting. So, the model is close, but has some level of inaccuracy and may as well have some significant errors I don't know about. I can send the model by e-mail to anyone who thinks it may be useful. You will need Google Sketchup, which you can get for free here

By the way, check out whats next...

NissanPathfinderBumpers2.jpg

NissanPathfinderBumpers1.jpg

:aok: Can you say winch bumper!!! (the front bumper is also included in the model file, by the way...)

Wow that looks awesome! Do you have the final prints for this? Please send them to me when you get a chance. Awesome job, Nice work. Thank you. Breemania!

• 4 years later...