Turbo Z24

mennonitemike

why not get a ka24det motor and ecu from a used jap engine place or ebay.... but if your going to all the trouble of putting on a turboe and re-mapping the ecu to handle the changes, you might as well just swap in a 90 or newer vg30e and ecu.... alot less work than trying to turbo a pos z24.... and alot cheaper, i just picked up a low mile vg30i with trans and xfer for 300 bucks...

pos z24....

oh yes

so tell me why in your opinion the z24 is a pos, other than stating the obvious - its a small engine for a 4wd

answer me this: have you ever owned a d21 with a z24

So I was wondering if anyone knows if the intake/exhaust manifolds from the TD27T turbo diesel would fit a Z24? just contemplating my power adding options without a vg30 swap.

i also suspect not

log manifolds are very restrictive, if i were you i would go for an extractor type exhaust manifold to the turbo & plenum style inlet manifold with air to water intercooler

yes my first wd21 was a z24i, and far as Nissan engines go the z series engine was a piece of @!*%.... if you put an L series head on that block which is basically an L series block with about 5/8" taller deck height you have a sweet little engine... get a book about Nissan OHC engines and read it.... and you'll know what i'm talking about..... the ports are too low in the z head casting to get any good flow out of them, and the naps-z engine or z24, was a feeble attempt by Nissan to make a low emissions engine. ever wonder why nissan isnt using that engine anymore and switched to the ka24 ??? prolly cuz the naps-z was a boat anchor.... but thats just my opinion.... but i like my vg30i (soon to be an E) alot more torque and power and about the same gas mileage....

well prehaps fair enough on the its note the best for modifying due to position of valves whatever

i just thought its a bit rough calling it a pos just because its not the best basis for high hp mods

for a little engine it does ok lugging around a heavy vehicle

Edited by sw

well prehaps fair enough on the its note the best for modifying due to position of valves whatever

i just thought its a bit rough calling it a pos just because its not the best basis for high hp mods

for a little engine it does ok lugging around a heavy vehicle

dont get me wrong it was a good motor, i had 260k miles on mine before i blew a head gasket and fried the whole thing, but as far as nissan 4cylinders go, its not that great.. but i did find out that the ka24 has the same bottom end as the z24, so if you wanted you should be able to swap in a ka24 head and intake.... should pick you up a few ponies out the box...

• 2 weeks later...
Well the motor that i have (which is the motor in question) is a twin spark carburated Z24, i guess but from what I've heard the second set of plugs is just an emissions thing

yes NAPS ( Nissan Anti Pollution System ) had 2 plugs per cylinder. if you are running a carb and plan on staying with a carb, get a distributor from a L16 through L20 engine ( mid '70's ) and eliminate the second plug. check on the other Nissan forums and i bet you could find one really cheap. if you were motivated enough you could figure out a way to run a splitter on the spark plug wires and have dual simultaneously firing spark plugs. i don't know if it would be worth the trouble or not but it would definitely be cool.

p.s. i have a good used z24i dizzy if anybody wants to buy one... and a couple of vg30 dizzy's too

• 2 weeks later...
if you were motivated enough you could figure out a way to run a splitter on the spark plug wires and have dual simultaneously firing spark plugs. i don't know if it would be worth the trouble or not but it would definitely be cool.

That twin spark idea sounds cool, I'll have to look into that. It doesn't seem like there are many fans of the old Z24, it's too bad, mine has 584,000km's on it now and it's still going pretty good.