What do You use the rear in-floor storage cubby for?

BowTied

What do You use the rear in-floor storage cubby for?  

64 members have voted

1. 1. rear in-floor storage cubby use?

• Nothing! Too small to be useful.
    • Fits my laptop just sweet.
    • Firearm(s)
    • Road-side emergency kit
    • tow-straps etc.
    • It's a secret! I'll never tell!
    • Other

Hey, I used the search function (as to not repeat another topic)! Since, I've received my CCW PERMIT.....I've been a little Gung Ho in finding or creating places to store firearms in the vehicle and I considered using the hidden compartment under the carpet in the rear storage area. My only concern is being able to lock it? Also with the front console, not being able to lock? Has anyone added a locking mechanism? Any thoughts?

Edited by OfftourRoadie96

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mine has nothing. I usually forget there's anything there, but I should probably throw something I'll rarely use (but must have nonetheless) down there to clear up a bit of trunk room. I don't even have any jumper cables... gotta get some nice thick ones from Wal-Mart sometime.

Hey, I used the search function (as to not repeat another topic)! Since, I've received my CCW PERMIT.....I've been a little Gung Ho in finding or creating places to store firearms in the vehicle and I considered using the hidden compartment under the carpet in the rear storage area. My only concern is being able to lock it? Also with the front console, not being able to lock? Has anyone added a locking mechanism? Any thoughts?

I have thought the same thing, but was a little hesitant to store anything like fire arms in a vehicle. They are way too susceptible to smash and grab type robberies, especially when you have eye candy accessories like a lift, winch, roof rack, etc. It makes thieves wonder what you have on the inside of the vehicle. Plus the center console is plastic and so is the back storage compartment, these could both be easily pried open with a screwdriver.

I think the best and easiest option would be to bolt one of these in your cargo area:

(You can find these for a whole lot cheaper than they have listed, like $100 at Cabellas)

http://www.gunvault.com/handgun-safes/multi-vault-biometric.html

Or even cooler would be to build your own vault that fits inside of your center console as seen here:

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd-gen-builds/22694-building-console-vault.html

Edited by edolmseth

I definitely would not leave a gun in any of the back cubby holes. Even locked I can rip the plastic from its location. Plus I think the entire floor cubby is plastic so it can be accessed from below aswell.

I would get a gunvault or build one into your rig and bolt it through the floor. Before I even thought about leaving it in the rig. Guns are spendy but in the long run its only money, I would feel like crap putting a gun in a dirt bags hands.

The only reason I even thought about this subject is because different states have different laws.....some times I would require the gun to be put away out of reach....or clips and/or bullets separate from each other in states my permit is not honored. Except for us Pathy Guys, I wouldn't expect any other people would even know that spot exits. But I plan on getting one of the biometric Gunvaults for under the driver seat.....I just hate the cable idea.....that can easily get cut!

The only reason I even thought about this subject is because different states have different laws.....some times I would require the gun to be put away out of reach....or clips and/or bullets separate from each other in states my permit is not honored. Except for us Pathy Guys, I wouldn't expect any other people would even know that spot exits. But I plan on getting one of the biometric Gunvaults for under the driver seat.....I just hate the cable idea.....that can easily get cut!

That is true, it is very difficult to travel with a concealed weapon across state lines, well legally that is. Many states do accept and honor other states permits but you need to check the specifics on Ohio's permits and which states honor it.

I think the gun vault is the best option. Personally, I would remove the seat and bolt it down to the floor, I wouldn't trust those cheesy cables either.