Installing an aftermarket stereo

Nick

Here is a pic of the adapter you will need if you dont want to rewire everything. These work for Bose systems. Ive used several of them and they work fine for those who dont want a huge system or thier stock amp is ok.

1236112995.jpg

Similar to the one from Crutchfield, just a little older and different brand.

• 3 months later...
  • 11 months later...

Im getting so confussed with all these problems ppl are having.

Im planing on doing my sound system this weekend and from what ive learnt this diagram should explain everything.

Please correct me if im wrong...

Ginopost-29475-127446918727_thumb.jpg

here's a little trick to get the manual window cranks off with out any special tool, take a peice of cloth like a t-shirt, try to use something with a thn edge, pull the shirt from under the window handle holding it on each side of the handle, when you get the shirt up behind the handle it will grab the clip, just keep pulling up on the shirt until the clip comes off, this assumes the open end of the clip is facing down, if it doesn't come out turn the window crank 180 degrees and try again. To reinstall the window handle place the clip on the handle first than just push the handle back on. On some cars you can push the door panel back slightly to see which way the clip is facing.

Too what someone said earlier about the radio effecting the clock, I have no radio and my clock works just fine.

as to using the power antenna lead from an aftermarket headunit to turn on an amp or amps, DON'T.. most power antenna outputs will turn off when you switch from the radio to tap or cd and you will go crazy wondering why the radio works fine but the tape/cd does not.

always make sure to use the remote turn on wire, usually always blue.

• 3 months later...

Hey everyone, I have a 95 pathy and I wanted to replace the stereo with a pioneer DEH-P3900MP and I was wondering if you guys could give me some pointers, I read the post and I think no-one did what I plan to do but I want to make sure I'm not doing it wrong, I can't buy the install kit because I live in Argentina and those kits are really hard to find and really expensive so I was thinking I would match up the wires of the original wiring with the ones I have on the connector for the Pioneer, the Pioneer also has three RCA outputs and I was wondering if I could send a wire from the RCA output to the stock amp, because I don't want to lose two speakers since the Pioneer only has four 50W channels and my Pathy has 6,(4 front speakers, and 2 rear woofers connected to a couple of tweeters). My plan was to connect the woofers through the stock amp with the RCA connector and then hook up the 4 channels from the head unit to the 4 front speakers, bypassing the front amp, I was thinking of disconnecting the amp and using the factory wiring, by cutting the input wires from the connector and matching them up with the corresponding output wires, that way I don't have to run new wires, is that ok? or will I burn something out, I know I have to connect the blue wire from the head unit to the pink wire for the rear amp. but I don't know if I can cut out the wires in the connector that go from the head unito to the front amp, and connect them to the wires that go from the amp to the speakers.

• 1 month later...

What the crap?!! I tried getting power to the pink leads, nothing. Then I noticed that the black ground wire on the aftermarket harness goes nowhere. I wire in a ground, nothing. And if I have a wire from my battery to the amp leads my parking lights turn on!! WTF?

I'm still getting no sound and the "mute" light is flashing on my deck but its not muted. ARRGH!! :furious:

The deck has worked fine in the last two vehicles I've had it in.

I just installed my sony cd player successfully into my 98 pathfinder and I noticed the same thing.

Purchased the aftermarket scoshe harness and folled wire by wire to insure it was correctly wired.

Got NOTHING!

My cd player was Not powering up

So I tested the 12v. constant, switched 12v. and all is perfect. Also checked my pinout diagram and everything is 100% accurate. (Left speaker, right speaker, rear left, rear right)

Then I notice that my factory nissan stereo harness has NO ground!

The factory nissan radio gets it's ground from the metal brackets that hold it in place and that's not good enough for my new aftermarket sony cd player.

There's a metal bracket on the left side of where the factory radio was and it even has a hole already in it.

That's a good ground, I tested it

Using a bolt/nut and crimped ring terminal I created my own good ground (16 gauge wire) that I connected to the sony cd player.

Done!

Works perfect

Note about the sound level issues mentioned. Somehow I'm not having the too loud at volume 15 problem.

I had this sony deck in my old car and it gets loud at volume level 25. The pathfinder is exactly the same it's not going to be a problem adding another amp & woofer to the system.

That problem can also be fixed by turning up the "Subwoofer Driver Level"

Now I just need to find out where to run a 4 gauge power wire for the new amp I'm gonna buy.

Anyone who has installed an amp in their pathfinder please do let me know.

I have no idea where there's enough room for a thick 4 gauge power wire to run from under the hood to the back.

Edited by streamfinder

• 3 weeks later...

Is Sony a stock system on 1993 Nissan Path? Because I want to change everything out to run a separate amp. If so, I can just run the speaker wires in the front and just connect it to my amp. Instead of trying to run all new wires to the speakers.

Thanks ahardb0dy I will take your advice!! I just bought a 5x7 component speakers for the rear. Is the fronts speakers size 4x6 or 5x7 for 93 Path?

mine were 6x9 all around in my 93 se i think.

Should be 5x7 all around in the 93-95 pathfinder.

The 87-92's had 5.25 in the front and 6x9 in the rear in pods IIRC.

If you have the speakers on the roof in the back and they are oval covers they are the 5x7s.

I would recommenced the infinity reference series they have great response for the size. Stay away from Sony head units.

Should be 5x7 all around in the 93-95 pathfinder.

The 87-92's had 5.25 in the front and 6x9 in the rear in pods IIRC.

If you have the speakers on the roof in the back and they are oval covers they are the 5x7s.

I would recommenced the infinity reference series they have great response for the size. Stay away from Sony head units.

I don't like Sony at all. I like Pioneer and I do have speakers on the roof. All I need right now are the fronts speakers. I will be taking the old Sony head unit out and replacing it with Pioneer. Thanks!!!

I just pulled one of my door panels to test fit a 6.5" speaker that Crutchfield told me an hour ago would take major metal modifications to fit !!

Here's what I found:

speaker opening in my 94 with adapter removed:

5p051g.jpg

with 6.5" speaker installed:

2uo72o1.jpg

just want to add I did NOT have to make any modifications to any metal other than making 4 new screw holes, I also realize one screw was right up against the speaker opening, but I just did this real quick to see if the speaker would fit.

the speaker I used was just for testing purposes it is a 6.5" Clarion the depth of this speaker is aprox 1.75" and there was about another .50 inch of clearance before a speaker would hit the glass, which if a speaker was that close I would just install a washer under each screw location or make a slim wooden spacer.

speaker depth, please excuse the poor picture as my hand was shaking badly from not eating all day:

2en0w03.jpg

Pic showing the window is down and clears the speaker:

2q1hyle.jpg

Edited by ahardb0dy

Don't know if this will help anybody, but I have a picture guide of accessing the stereo cluster in a 98-04 R50 Pathfinder. Pictures are based from a 2001.5 R50.

To get to the CD changer: take a cloth-covered flathead screwdriver and pry the clock towards you from the right side, then two screws are visible. Unscrew those and more of the trim comes off; unclip the power socket's connector and then twist that trim out of the way, and then there are four screws for the stereo cluster, then four screws for the CD changer itself once the stereo cluster is pulled out. In fact, here are some pictures I took of the dashboard disassembly to get to the stereo cluster (click to enlarge):

th_IMG_0585.jpg

th_IMG_0586.jpg

th_IMG_0588-1.jpg

th_IMG_0590.jpg

th_IMG_0591.jpg

Next post has pictures of stock Bose speakers and amps from my 2001.5 R50.

Edited by Towncivilian

I also took pics of the backs and amps of all the Bose speakers from my 2001.5 R50:

I kind of don't know which are which, but it would appear that the two front and two back are essentially identical save for orientation, obviously.

I think the lone "2" on the sticker of all the speakers themselves indicate they're 2 ohms.

Front door speakers

th_IMG_0753.jpg

th_IMG_0758.jpg

Rear door speakers

th_IMG_0751.jpg

th_IMG_0752.jpg

Front amps

th_IMG_0760.jpg

th_IMG_0754.jpg

Amp box covers

th_IMG_0755.jpg

th_IMG_0757.jpg

th_IMG_0756.jpg

Front face of a rear speaker:

th_IMG_0761.jpg

All my speakers basically looked like this, not torn or anything. You can see I removed the black plastic ring around the speaker to be re-used as speaker adapter brackets for my new speakers. Not ideal, but they work in a pinch.

If anybody needs measurements of the depth of the original speakers or other measurements, just let me know since I've got them sitting in a closet.

Edited by Towncivilian

• 1 month later...

Ran my power,RCA and remote turn on wire, installed my new front door speakers and now have a question.

I was going to run new speaker wire into the doors but after removing the kick panel on the drivers side I discovered it would be a real pain in the as- to try and get a new wire thru the rubber grommet, so I decided to tap into the stock speaker wires behind the kick panel. I use my multimeter to check continuity between the speaker plug and the wires in a plug behind the kick panel. I found that the light green wire on the drivers door was the positive and the black/white was the negative, So I used a pair of wire taps and connected my new speaker wire to these 2 colors, I than put the door panel back together and started to have doubts on which color I had made the positive and which was the negative. So I pulled the door panel back off removed the speaker and checked continuity between the speaker and the end of the new speaker wire. I'm getting continuity from one side of the new speaker wire on BOTH terminals of the speaker ???? Of course it's raining every 10 minutes so I have to keep stopping, I just can't figure out why I have continuity from one speaker wire to both the negative and positive on the speaker. Still raining so probably done for today but when I can go back and work on it I think I'm going to just cut the 2 speaker wires at the stock plug behind the kick panel at least that way It should be correct.

I also looked up the speaker wire colors online and every site I checked they had the colors wrong. But the FSM is correct at least.

• 3 months later...

hey guys i have a question i wanna go the easy way out by buying the Nissan/Infiniti Factory Integration Adapter on crutchfield.com but when i put my pathfinder info(94) it said it wont fit? i see they have two different ones. which one would fit in mine?

Its either this one wire harness #1

or this one wire harness #2

what do you guys think?

there are definately 2 different harnesses. They changed in 94 for the 95 models (I believe). The brighter white ones are the newer (pic 2 I think) while the more translucent are the older. Your best bet is to pull the radio and look at your connector

• 1 year later...

I'm in the process of getting new stereo equipment to put into my 2003 Nissan Pathfinder SE. So far, I have 2 Head Units that I'm considering putting in they are the Pioneer Premier DEH P780MP or the JVC Arsenal KD A735BT. Both being single din, I have the dash kit to make them fit. I'm leaning towards the JVC as it's got the bluetooth and great reviews. Both H/U have 3 preouts with over 4 volts. So, lot's of options for more equipment. Any thoughts on which receiver to use ? I'm also looking to use a Rockford Fosgate P4004 amp bridging the front speakers. After much searching online the component speakers I'm considering are the JBL MS-62C or the HAT Imagine i61-2. Both woofers are 6.5 which fit the 2003 Pathy but the problem might be the mounting depth. It seems that the 03 pathfinder has a mounting depth of 2.25 and both these components are around 3" or slightly more. Will it be possible to get these speakers in my doors ? I'm having a reputable sound shop do the install. Will they need to to use a adapter and some spacers or possibly a baffle too ? If it's not doable, any suggstions toward a comparable component system is appreciated ? Thanks

• 2 weeks later...
hey guys i have a question i wanna go the easy way out by buying the Nissan/Infiniti Factory Integration Adapter on crutchfield.com but when i put my pathfinder info(94) it said it wont fit? i see they have two different ones. which one would fit in mine?

Its either this one wire harness #1

or this one wire harness #2

what do you guys think?

The first harness is in my 95, I think it depends on the audio option with the vehicle, I didn't have the BOSE so i think that is the difference.

• 1 month later...

Hi there everyone,

After reading through the posts concerning stereo install in a 1991 pathfinder I am still at a loss.

I am hoping you can help me, I removed my broken stock stereo and installed a aftermarket one using an adapter harness, the install was quick and painless, I have sound and everything works well except for my dashlights and heater control lights no longer work. There is a two wire pin socket that connected to my stock deck that is now not hooked to anything. The wire coloring suggests that it for the illumination. I tested both leads and they show 12VDC when the lights are turned on. I have not been able to find a wiring schematic any were that will allow me to trace this problem further.

Have any of you come across this problem?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thank you