build my own snorkel

json3904

i was planning on building my own. the main ? i have is do i need to go through the air box or could i go straight to the MAF???? i plan on using something like PVC but haven't made up my mind yet.... thanks in advance for any replies.......

Edited by json3904

i was planning on building my own. the main ? i have is do i need to go through the air box or could i go straight to the MAF???? i plan on using something like PVC but haven't made up my mind yet.... thanks in advance for any replies.......

Go to your local exhaust shop and get them to bend you up some tube. PVC will cause you nothing but heart ache IMHO as it will surley crack and in gets the water.

You MUST go through the airbox. If not, you've got absolutely no air filtration, and will kill your motor quick. Just ask Max. :lol:

PVC will work, but will look like hell, unless you can find a way to hide the holes in your fender, and hide all the angled pieces.

PVC will work, but will look like hell, unless you can find a way to hide the holes in your fender, and hide all the angled pieces.

well i was planing on using some stuff that is similar to PVC that is UV resistant and.... also i will have the first 90* turn where the hole is and just mount it along the pillar, and then leave the snorkel pointed towards the rear of the pathy.... i wonder how much it would cost to have them bend a piece of metal, i will have to call and find out.....

oh and it don't matter how it looks cause this is my trail rig not my DD so I'm going for functionality over looks......

thanks for the replies and info......

There just so happens to be an article on building your own snorkel in the newest Peterson's 4wheel and offroad magazine, could have some helpful hints.

You can also buy kits that have the extra thick dryer tubing looking stuff as well as the brackets, an inline airfilter and an ABS plastic hard mast portion.

Couple thoughts for ya

i used black pvc and sealed all joints with pvc cement. turned out pretty good to me. i have done a couple changes to mine so it doesn't look exactly as it does in this picture. but close. i can get current picture if you need me too. cost was around 30 or 40 bucks total.

pathfinder005.jpg

Edited by aries247

also i will have the first 90* turn where the hole is and just mount it along the pillar, and then leave the snorkel pointed towards the rear of the pathy....

I'm kinda new to the whole Pathfinder thing, so maybe physics are different for trucks, but I learned with my other Nissans (B13, S13) that air flow doesn't like 90° bends very much and that they should be avoided whenever possible.

Also, I've found that bigger is usually better. The truck pictured is using tiny diameter pipe. My 1.6 Sentra breathed through more than that. The 180° bend on the end is just scary.

Props for the effort, I'll bet it works great for fording creeks, but that can't be helping power much.

I think home brew is a good thing, but give it more thought. Do you really want your V6 breathing through a straw?

the one good thing about my rig is it isnt going to be driven on the road, so that might make a diffrence i plan on looking at all the options that are avaliable and then go from there....

I'm kinda new to the whole Pathfinder thing, so maybe physics are different for trucks, but I learned with my other Nissans (B13, S13) that air flow doesn't like 90° bends very much and that they should be avoided whenever possible.

Also, I've found that bigger is usually better. The truck pictured is using tiny diameter pipe. My 1.6 Sentra breathed through more than that. The 180° bend on the end is just scary.

Props for the effort, I'll bet it works great for fording creeks, but that can't be helping power much.

I think home brew is a good thing, but give it more thought. Do you really want your V6 breathing through a straw?

People often disconnect the snorkel from the airbox for everyday driving, and hook 'em up when it's playin time.

People often disconnect the snorkel from the airbox for everyday driving, and hook 'em up when it's playin time.

That's a good idea.

It would be neat to find a way to valve it so that there wouldn't be much involved other than pulling a lever or flipping a switch... Kinda like the exhaust bypass that JC Whitney used to sell.

Tricky part would be making it water tight.

I hope my last post wasn't too offensive BTW. I didn't mean to come off that way. :hide:

when i built my snorkel i didn't do it for performance. i did it in case i needed it. it's 2 in pipe. if i need to go bigger it wouldn't be a problem. it actually does pretty well breathing. i didn't think you were being offensive just giving your opinion. it's cool.

I'm thinking about cutting a hole inthe firewall and have it come up through the cowl next to the vents or through one of the vents but I havent checked out the clearances for the wipers and I wanted to look into the pressure drops and what not to see if I needed an inline fan to maintain adequate flow...but I havent had time for all of that crap but that was my take on the snorkle...

then I got to thinking of how I need to relocate the ECU 1st and possibly build a dry box for the battery and seal up the "vent" for outside air and put in an electric fan with a manual override so I could kill the fan prior to a water crossing and probably try to seal up the doors a little better

I've been meaning to put mine together for some time now, I have all the plumbing but need to decide which way to go about it. Lately I've been thinking about having it come out of the fender near the windshield and instead of going all the way up the pillar, just have it stick up 6" or so and cap it (similar to military type snorkels I have seen)

I dont get all the fittings. Its just plastic, heat it up and bend it. You wouldnt get a tight 90, but it could be "swept" along the fender and up the a-pillar. Lots cleaner IMHO.

Did some price checking. Found 9' of 2.5" schedule 80 pvc for $26.50. .276" wall thickness. Should be pretty tough even after heating. Even if it gets damaged, it wouldnt be too expensive to replace. Just a little time to bend it to fit.

yeah i found that pic when i was searching for answers... LOL i didnt think about the military style i like that... that is proab the route i will go.... i will post some more about it after i decide... thanks for all the replies......

What are you trying to accomplish? looks or practicality. if you get in water past your window the snorkel will only solve one of your many problems. I like the one that clears the hood by 4-6" because it has less restrictions and it gives you protection from water that might roll over your hood. You are a sik individual if you want to get in deeper water than that!

i want it for use.... i don't plan on crossing water that is that high but you never know (i might do that style of snorkel but have it go halfway up the pillar or something )....... i still have a little time to go over my options so thanks for all the help.....