Replace lock cylinders?

nick9871

My younger brother had his 98 pathfinder stolen. He left the door unlocked and a spare key in the center console :stickwack: and it is my assumption that someone he knows stole it. Anyway, the culprit only took the deck and sub, and took the spare key as well... So he needs to have all the lock cylinders changed. I called the dealership and they gave me some astronomical quote of $1500. How difficult is it to remove the lock cylinders? I would assume after that I could just change the pins and have new keys made for them. Do the 98 pathfinders use electronic keys for the ignition?

My younger brother had his 98 pathfinder stolen. He left the door unlocked and a spare key in the center console :stickwack: and it is my assumption that someone he knows stole it. Anyway, the culprit only took the deck and sub, and took the spare key as well... So he needs to have all the lock cylinders changed. I called the dealership and they gave me some astronomical quote of $1500. How difficult is it to remove the lock cylinders? I would assume after that I could just change the pins and have new keys made for them. Do the 98 pathfinders use electronic keys for the ignition?

Hey man, screw the dealer.

I'm a locksmith and that is way too much.

For that price they must be talking of replacing the whole PATS system.

In this case you'll only need to have the mechanical portion of the lock cylinders rekeyed.

The only problem is only having one key means you'll need a good locksmith with transponder equipment.

I'm assuming that the lost key doesn't have button controls or FOB for alarm and such.

So, having only one original key means it'll probably be around $100 for just another one, that's if they can recut your old key, otherwise figure in the price for another new one as well.

I'd figure a respectable shop could do it all for no more than $500.

If you decide to pull the door panels or even the locks, you can save a big chunk as it's usually $50 just to pull a panel!!

Ya know, if having two different keys for the rig isn't a problem, you could just have the doors and hatch locks done and you can have as many mechanical keys for the doors as you want for a few bucks each.

Hope this helps.

Peace

Edited by The Pimpness Monster