replace struts with coilovers?

rawkrews

Just wondering if I can put the coilovers from my fj cruiser on our 98 pathfinder who currently has the AC coils with the KYB GR2 struts. and the lengths look pretty close, the tire size is the same but not sure about the geometry/clearance. I know it wouldnt be bolt-on but if I had a top plate fabed up and the lengths are the same...... has anyone attempted this at all? this just came to mind since I have new coilovers for the FJ and need a new home for the relatively new stock ones. This will be a worthy project!

Just wondering if I can put the coilovers from my fj cruiser on our 98 pathfinder who currently has the AC coils with the KYB GR2 struts. and the lengths look pretty close, the tire size is the same but not sure about the geometry/clearance. I know it wouldnt be bolt-on but if I had a top plate fabed up and the lengths are the same...... has anyone attempted this at all? this just came to mind since I have new coilovers for the FJ and need a new home for the relatively new stock ones. This will be a worthy project!

WOW! Now, that would be worth the price of admission. Hope you can make it work.

image2zt8.jpg

image8mw1.jpg

image11jv9.jpg

image14gu7.jpg

Essentially this is what I have to work with. Im not saying it should work since my wife always has the Pathy at work and I never get a good chance to pop the wheels off to have a look. Just a thought???

Edited by rawkrews

The FJ coilover shock is designed to withstand vertical forces, and it doesn't look strong enough to withstand the lateral loads that would be placed on them during cornering like the R50 strut. The R50 strut shaft is nearly 3/4" thick, and the strut body itself is pretty substantial.

I would guess that if you wanted to do a coilover setup, you'd have to get something like this:

06_lstrut_frt.jpg

Click for more pics

Dean whose Pathfinder is that? I've NEVER seen that one before.

It was a pre-production 2001 R50 that was given to Calmini by Nissan Corp. to develop prototype parts for. Unfortunately, due to low anticipated demand, the prototype parts never went into production.

CALMINI why did you give up!?!?!

The potential market wasn't big enough to warrant production (there just are not enough R50 owners who use them off-road).

Calmini [correctly] speculated that most people who lift their R50's would be unwilling to pay the high price of this lift. The coilovers alone were over $1000.

i think they could easily sell 500+ pairs with the right marketing. Theres at least 10 lifted R50's I know of in San Diego alone, that do not post on any message boards. I'm not even going to get started on LA!

I hate to be the one that says it, but looking at the setup, it doesn't look THAT difficult to do. You need a strong coil-over (the one in the pictures looks like a Sway-a-way), and the mounts from any Pathfinder strut can be welded on. The bottom of the shaft is threaded just like our struts so the strut mount can still go on.

Hmm.....

I hate to be the one that says it, but looking at the setup, it doesn't look THAT difficult to do. You need a strong coil-over (the one in the pictures looks like a Sway-a-way), and the mounts from any Pathfinder strut can be welded on. The bottom of the shaft is threaded just like our struts so the strut mount can still go on.

Hmm.....

The problem is that the strut on the R50's is used to locate the wheel. This means there are significant side-loading forces on the strut while driving and the strut has bushings/bearings built into it to support these loads. What you need to find is a Strut Insert that has similar travel to the stock strut and build an adjustable lower for it. The other option would be this route:

http://npora.ipbhost.com//index.php?showto...71&hl=PRADO

AMR (the company in the link above) makes a quality product and the Saturn forum I'm on just had a group coilover buy. They were originally quoted $1100 for 4 adjustable struts and 6 weeks timing. It ended up costing ~1400 and took over a year to complete. A lot of this extra time was due to issue's with the original design which were caught when the trial pair were track tested.

I think an adjustable height setup would be awesome, but there is a lot of research that would need to go into making them. Maybe someone with Calmini contacts can ask them for some of thier old designs?

Bigmatt

Many of the coil-overs on the market come with bigger shafts than our struts use. Coil-overs can be had with 7/8" and 1" shafts, however I'm not sure if the struts are built differently internally to cope with the side loading. If I was planning on keeping IFS for much longer I'd look into it more, but I'm hoping to have it out of here as soon as I can.

Hey guys,

We are 99% finished our 5inch lift kits for R50's, our struts are bigger, thicker and longer than what is in the picture.

They are full custom coil over struts, new springs new rear shocks, lower control arms panhard bar, brakelines etc...

We will have full bolt in kits available in the next 4 weeks, engine swap kits about 6 weeks away and solid diff bolt in kit should be done by july this year.

Hey guys,

We are 99% finished our 5inch lift kits for R50's, our struts are bigger, thicker and longer than what is in the picture.

They are full custom coil over struts, new springs new rear shocks, lower control arms panhard bar, brakelines etc...

We will have full bolt in kits available in the next 4 weeks, engine swap kits about 6 weeks away and solid diff bolt in kit should be done by july this year.

Nice!!! Can't wait to see this stuff.

What engine swap kits are you coming out with?

Hey guys,

:dance:

Something else that should be considered is a set of Caster / Camber plates to replace the top strut mount. I just put a set in my Mustang when I lowered it and it makes it much easier on front end alignments. Plus it has a heavier spherical bearing as well.

Craig

No doubt! I saw a $400 set of plates that were so adjustable it made me want to puke! No seriously, they were insanely adjustable...I wish I had gotten to see how much of the OEM strut tower got chewed away to install this....even though Pathies are not really race bred, the alignment on a uni-body is VERY important!!